Child registration process with the Sangkat

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Child registration process with the Sangkat

Post by GMJS-CEO »

The first step is to get married. Congratulations and enjoy the honeymoon.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

There is zero requirement to be married.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Phnom Krom wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:33 pm There is zero requirement to be married.
That’s what I said when doing the process. Not sure if things changed but they gave me a hard time over it at the sangkat circa 2015. Of course you don’t need to be married, just one more thing they can use to try and get you to pay more.
Last edited by GMJS-CEO on Tue May 30, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Literally just registered junior Spigz #2 & not married, my passport & my own birth certificate (I had original with me since I'm long termer, not sure if copy enough) - no drama or payment needed (edit: within 30 days of course).
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:26 am That's a bit late...

Still, not latest I've seen

Prepare your balls for extortion efforts for months and it will probably get sorted eventually
That all depends on the corruption level where he is doing it and if he has deep pockets , or not
Hmm, I guess that's why her and her family aren't concerned. Apparently the father in-law has an uncle who's 'up there' with the big boys..
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:12 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:03 pm Image

Unread post by DeparRudeAnts » Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 am

So my wife (kind of not really)

So looks like there are no copies of Marriage Certificate .
There's a few pics of us in front of a pigs head and Carabao dressed up, being blessed by the monks.
But yes, married in spirit, not on paper
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:28 pm
Phnom Krom wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:33 pm There is zero requirement to be married.
That’s what I said. Not sure if things changed but they gave me a hard time over it at the sangkat circa 2015. Of course you don’t need to be married, just one more thing they can use to try and get you to pay more.
Definitely not what you said...
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:22 pm The first step is to get married. Congratulations and enjoy the honeymoon.
Are you on drugs?
sumfin smart
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sorry forgot to add, marriage certificate is only required if actually married, there is no legal requirement for parents to be married in order for the birth certificate to be issued with both parents names included.

Parents - get your child's admin sorted ASAP after birth, don't delay! I have never understood those parents who don't, it's irresponsible and can affect your child's future.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:38 pm She wants to go home for a week which I'm not prepared to do, I will stay as long as it takes and then be on the next bus back. (13hr+ trip one way)

There are a few reasons why you might want to be around when the birth certificate is made, the main reason being you will be able to check your- and your kid's name on the birth certificate are spelled correctly and your nationality is correct..

The names will be on the birth certificate both in Khmer and in Latin. Don't worry too much about the Khmer spelling but make sure the Latin names are there (for Cambodians they often leave it blanc) and it's correct. If the mother goes there just by herself the odds are she will come back with a Khmer names only birth certificate.

Any fault/flaw in the original Cambodian birth certificate will be a major inconsistency further down the road when you deal with the English authorities. Especially in your case. The date of issue will be on the certificate and it (issued three years after birth) will raise suspicion so better make sure it's perfectly ok when it comes to names.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic