Coming to Cambodia to See if i want to Stay and Retire

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Coming to Cambodia to See if i want to Stay and Retire

Post by johnoconnor »

Hello Folks,,,
Coming from Canada.. I will have a budget of 1500 per month cdn. to live fulltime if i like it. Arriving within the next couple of months. Likely fly into Ho Chi Min city, buy a Airblade 125 cc ,or Dirtbike and ride it to Kampot Cambodia. By all the research i have done this area appeals to me. I golf i fish like the beach . Any advice on anything pertaining to what i intend would be great.
Thanks
JohnO
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Coming to Cambodia to See if i want to Stay and Retire

Post by phuketrichard »

Good luck, $1,100 US is plenty as long as ur not taking lots of trips or have a medical problem>
WHY buy a bike in Vietnam if ur living in Cambodia>?
Some nice houses for $250-300 range, near the river < Beach is in Kep 18 kms away.
kampot has a unique mix of older retirees , ( starting drinking at 9 am) to what I refer to as new age hippies, lots of food choices as well
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

No reason buying a bike there,,
I can get a Japanesse Honda there...
Ya no medical conditions now.... Had heart attack so i have a insurance plan i have to cover 250 a month canadain
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

would it be better to fly back to Canada every summer .
Im trying to figure how to make this work on a low budget,,, but thats all i got to work with
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

johnoconnor wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:18 am would it be better to fly back to Canada every summer .
Im trying to figure how to make this work on a low budget,,, but thats all i got to work with
6 mos in country keeps your health insurance and perhaps your GIS. Have you tried to apply for it? But where would you stay when you come back to Canada for 6 mos a year? I would like a split arrangement like this myself, but you would need to get a new place every time you arrive in Cambodia.
Stay classy na
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

Yes it keeps GIS,,,Im talked with pension people today and got the estimate of my payout. i also read that if you become in thier terms disabled....that they have a formula for your payments ,,thats helps with final amount.. Im not sure if this was on the estimate i got today from government agent so ill have to wait till final is done ,,
I would keep place here and bite the 500 month i pay and renting a different place would be fine in same area, probaly lock and store bike somewhere..
when i spoke with pension guy he did say that it was an estimate he just looks by numbers on computer i quess. and others go into more detail of history which from what they said gives me some sort of special details for being sick... so by what i read and am correct about speaking with agent i might get more.. i hope
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

i get to keep gic
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

johnoconnor wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:01 am i get to keep gic
but is that on condition of being in country at least 6 mos a year or does it not matter.
Stay classy na
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Post by johnoconnor »

only if i live in Canada or 6 months a year or close
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

johnoconnor wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:18 am would it be better to fly back to Canada every summer .
Summer airfares are problematic as it is the big travel season once students finish their school year and folks take their vacations. There are huge premiums. I tend to book either April/May and/or Sept/Oct. Airfares tend to go down after students resume classes in September and for me, the fall weather is fantastic and there's a buzz in the air >> Toronto.

Now, with the massive inflation and outrageous monthly rentals, I can only go back once a year and only a short time. My AirBnB in Sept is costing me CA$3,000/mo, including all accommodation expenses.

If you have a prepaid home/condo/trailer, then the summer airfares won't bother you so much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic