Coming to Cambodia to See if i want to Stay and Retire

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
johnoconnor
Tourist
Canada

Re: Coming to Cambodia to See if i want to Stay and Retire

Post by johnoconnor »

Yea, Thanks for the advice...
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:26 pm
DavidFieldman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:51 pm
2. I expect you are arriving on a Tourist visa for 30-days
3. Be prepared to have your visa changed to an E visa before your 30-day tourist visa expires
Why a Canadian would enter on a tourist visa and go through the process of exchanging in it to an E-visa (ordinary visa) when one can obtain an E-visa on arrival is something I don't understand. Just get the E-visa on arrival and arrange your extension in the 30 days it's valid.

Your number 2 and 3 seem very bad advice to me.
Good questions and thanks for posting your reply.
Before relocating to Phnom Penh, I lived in China for the past 26 years -- I tried to apply for a visa online but could not due to Internet and IPO restrictions in China, hence my comments. In addition, the visa officer at the Embassy of Cambodia in Beijing told me I could not obtain an E-visa on arrival, and I had to pay for one there.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DavidFieldman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:02 pm
3. Be prepared to have your visa changed to an E visa before your 30-day tourist visa expires
Why a Canadian would enter on a tourist visa and go through the process of exchanging in it to an E-visa (ordinary visa) when one can obtain an E-visa on arrival is something I don't understand. Just get the E-visa on arrival and arrange your extension in the 30 days it's valid.

Before relocating to Phnom Penh, I lived in China for the past 26 years -- I tried to apply for a visa online but could not due to Internet and IPO restrictions in China, hence my comments. In addition, the visa officer at the Embassy of Cambodia in Beijing told me I could not obtain an E-visa on arrival, and I had to pay for one there.
It's not a requirement to apply for an E-visa beforehand. Most (Caucasians) can obtain one upon arrival.

Be careful to state your specific situation as a general rule. It might mislead others.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

DavidFieldman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:02 pm

My experience of some of the Cambodian staff sitting too far from the mothership is that they are frequently behind the times.
Secondly, they might/can use their official position and stamps to assist you getting what visas you need, and save you the hassle of paying the proper authorities directly.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cambodian Embassy/Consulate staff are clueless about actual Immigration policies and procedures
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:35 pm Cambodian Embassy/Consulate staff are clueless about actual Immigration policies and procedures
you get what you get paid to employ, useless twats who have money and connections but no idea of what is really required in the job and no care to learn. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic