France bans short-haul flights where trains are available

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: France bans short-haul flights where trains are available

Post by newkidontheblock »

Historically, rail has always lost out to air travel in terms of passenger travel due to speed and convenience. Just like rail always looses to road travel. Amtrak in the US always loses money on passenger service.

Where rail excels is cargo transport. It can move heavy good much more efficiently (and cheaper) than any airplane or truck.

France’s proposal is a red herring. It wants to increase rail tracks for production and commerce, but not pass the costs along to the industrial base. What better way than a new glorified sounding tax?

My opinions, of course l.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

french rail cargo is pretty cheap for frowarders because it gets billions of subvensions from french governement. But because the french unions are so deep in the railways (SNCF) it works like shit. I have companies who do the same bussiness as me but they use SNCF to put their 45-foot trailes on a rail-wagon. If i see the prices they pay for a cross-france-route (from spanish to belgian border) its impossible to compete with them. Luckily the system works like shit, often they loose wagons, or are blocked somewhere because of union-strikes. But ofcourse, its "greener" then just trucking what i did all my life. Fuck "greener", people buy something and want it delivered yesterday !! That doesnt go green !!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The second phase of the Thai-Chinese high-speed train project is expected to go to the cabinet before year's end, while the first phase is likely to start by 2026
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Sales of Bombardier and Cessna Citation aircraft have increased by 50% in France
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic