covid surges in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: covid surges in Thailand

Post by Yobbo »

Alex wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:36 pm I don't think they're exaggerating about the numbers, it just isn't clear to me what (if anything) they want people to do.

At this point, Covid has become endemic and there's broad immunity, so just letting it spread without any special measures and precautions looks like the most sensible approach to me.
Viruses mutate!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:36 pm I don't think they're exaggerating about the numbers, it just isn't clear to me what (if anything) they want people to do.

At this point, Covid has become endemic and there's broad immunity, so just letting it spread without any special measures and precautions looks like the most sensible approach to me.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Yobbo wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:09 pm Viruses mutate!
Viruses always have, and always will mutate, but if they had a tendency to suddenly mutate into much deadlier diseases, then humans would have all died off a long time ago.

I don’t see what more we can do at this point. Covid is never going to disappear, and we didn’t all spend our lives worrying that the flu, or any other relatively mild disease, would mutate into something much worse.

If I was old and feeble, I might take a little extra precaution, but I’m not, so I’ll keep on living the way I always have.

I’ve had covid twice, after being double vaxxed. I’m not convinced that I would have avoided it with a third jab, or that I’d be dead if I hadn’t been vaxxed at all.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:54 pm
Viruses always have, and always will mutate, but if they had a tendency to suddenly mutate into much deadlier diseases, then humans would have all died off a long time ago.

I don’t see what more we can do at this point. Covid is never going to disappear, and we didn’t all spend our lives worrying that the flu, or any other relatively mild disease, would mutate into something much worse.

If I was old and feeble, I might take a little extra precaution, but I’m not, so I’ll keep on living the way I always have.

I’ve had covid twice, after being double vaxxed. I’m not convinced that I would have avoided it with a third jab, or that I’d be dead if I hadn’t been vaxxed at all.
I just went to a new cheaper hospital to get my stitches out from my last accident
Not that I need to save any money , but can’t justify paying for bullshit
It’s why I turn jewish when I have to manipulate my iCloud and other apple related payments

I just finished 2 weeks of antibiotics and now they give me 10 days more .
I’m tuff , I don’t need it , but I do what the dum doctors say

I never accepted any vax from china flu , I just stay away from there and wash my hands when I come home .

Ah CCCChooooooooo
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

They don't bring the news to come up with a solution, they just bring you the news.

If a wave of influenza or another virus would stretch healthcare it would be news too.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:01 pm

They don't bring the news to come up with a solution, they just bring you the news.

If a wave of influenza or another virus would stretch healthcare it would be news too.
I obviously meant the Thai doctors who, as per the article, were "sounding the alarm". Not the news outfit that reported it, duh.

This wave doesn't "stretch healthcare" by any stretch of the imagination. A single hospital here in Bangkok has reported that it's at capacity. Maybe they had reduced their capacity for Covid patients earlier, as many hospitals have done.

My take on this is, just get on with it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:33 pm

I obviously meant the Thai doctors who, as per the article, were "sounding the alarm". Not the news outfit that reported it, duh.

This wave doesn't "stretch healthcare" by any stretch of the imagination. A single hospital here in Bangkok has reported that it's at capacity. Maybe they had reduced their capacity for Covid patients earlier, as many hospitals have done.

I don't know what the capacity of the system is, but an extra 376 people every day as they quote will stretch the system in days, maybe a week or two.
They're talking about admissions, not out patient treatments

Health systems have been 'optimized', not for peak capacity but for minimal costs during an 'average day'. So a non average day or two will stretch the system, a month like this will flood the system.

Because we're cheap Charlie's when it comes to healthcare.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Worldwide, more and more people fall in that group every day. Also in Thailand.

It's pretty simple, COVID hospitalizes and kills people. If too many people get hospitalized because of it then non COVID patients will notice that too because of reduced capacity. Then harsh choices have to be made which most Western countries are not willing to make (publicly).
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:51 pm

I don't know what the capacity of the system is, but an extra 376 people every day as they quote will stretch the system in days, maybe a week or two.

Health systems have been 'optimized', not for peak capacity but for minimal costs during an 'average day'. So a non average day or two will stretch the system, a month like this will flood the system.

You're speculating, if not outright reaching. That article in the OP is now 5 days old.

As per a Thai news article from TODAY, only 22% of DMS hospital beds in Bangkok are currently occupied, so clearly, the healthcare system didn't get overwhelmed within days and the report from ONE hospital in the OP wasn't representative for all hospitals in Bangkok. Sample size, ONE.

How many hospitals do you reckon Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, has? How many people are admitted to hospital in Thailand per day, in average? I think you'll find that an extra 376 admissions per day for Thailand as a whole amounts to very little. Most cases are mild to moderate, so if they're admitted to hospital, it's usually not due to medical necessity (Bangkok's community isolation centers and home isolation scheme no longer exist!). Context is everything.

Today's article I mentioned:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-medic ... -patients/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:59 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:51 pm

You're speculating, if not outright reaching. That article in the OP is now 5 days old.

As per a Thai news article from TODAY, only 22% of DMS hospital beds in Bangkok are currently occupied, so clearly, the healthcare system didn't get overwhelmed within days and the report from ONE hospital in the OP wasn't representative for all hospitals in Bangkok. Sample size, ONE.

How many hospitals do you reckon Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, has? How many people are admitted to hospital in Thailand per day, in average? I think you'll find that an extra 376 admissions per day for Thailand as a whole amounts to very little. Most cases are mild to moderate, so if they're admitted to hospital, it's usually not due to medical necessity (Bangkok's community isolation centers and home isolation scheme no longer exist!). Context is everything.

Today's article I mentioned:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-medic ... -patients/
You're right, nearly 400 extra a day nationwide is a nothingburger, I misread it was 400 day extra just in Bangkok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic