AIR BNB legal im KM?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

AIR BNB legal im KM?

Post by Drizzle »

Is it allowed to rent out a condo you own/have a mortgage in Phnom Penh?
Building owner says its not.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: AIR BNB legal im KM?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

https://ips-cambodia.com/rise-airbnb-kingdom/

There is no law which specifically forbids it, although the practice could possibly contravene other laws 🤷‍♂️
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Many buildings around the world are fed up with owners turning their apartments into holiday rental units and all the problems and disturbance that creates with long-term occupiers.

AirBnB has also created a class of hosts that don't even own the apartment. They have secured a long term lease and then turn it into a holiday rental. These 'rent-to-rent' hosts don't give a shit about the neighbours and these types are what building management companies seek to block.

Check the lease details and management rules thoroughly.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Also check out any mortgage agreement you may have or are looking to get, it is likely there are conditions regarding the use of the property.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Drizzle wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 am Is it allowed to rent out a condo you own/have a mortgage in Phnom Penh?
Building owner says its not.
Is it a condo or apartment building? If condo what the rules says? I have rented unit in condo for years. No problems. Like Kiwi says, there is no explicit laws that would forbid it.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:56 am Many buildings around the world are fed up with owners turning their apartments into holiday rental units and all the problems and disturbance that creates with long-term occupiers.

AirBnB has also created a class of hosts that don't even own the apartment. They have secured a long term lease and then turn it into a holiday rental. These 'rent-to-rent' hosts don't give a shit about the neighbours and these types are what building management companies seek to block.

It's actually a very small percentage when STR units that cause any issues.

In my personal experience of hosting for nearly 10 years across different countries, I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of times guests have been disruptive. And out of those rare occasions, only twice have I received complaints from neighbours. Most of the time, my systems have alerted me in advance, allowing me to address the situation and inform the guests about maintaining a respectful noise level.

In my long term rentals there has been issues almost as many times in that same time period.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:56 am Many buildings around the world are fed up with owners turning their apartments into holiday rental units and all the problems and disturbance that creates with long-term occupiers.

In my personal experience of hosting for nearly 10 years across different countries, I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of times guests have been disruptive. And out of those rare occasions, only twice have I received complaints from neighbours. Most of the time, my systems have alerted me in advance, allowing me to address the situation and inform the guests about maintaining a respectful noise level.

In my long term rentals there has been issues almost as many times in that same time period.
You may run a professional outfit, but these building management companies in city suburbs all around Europe are not banning short-term lets for a laugh. Whole towns are are banning them in swathes.

It is not only the disturbance that a constant turnover of tenants creates, but also the reduction of long-term leases available to locals because investor landlords prefer the AirBnB models as more profitable and don't risk tenants acquiring eviction rights. 60,000 properties in Paris alone that once was available for housing and now is only available for holiday lets.

Many cities say the short-term holiday lettings boom is contributing to soaring long-term rents, although speculation and poor social housing provision are also factors. Last year Palma de Mallorca voted to ban almost all listings after a 50% increase in tourist lets was followed by a 40% rise in residential rents.

The hotel industry is also behind many of these banning activity, but they have their own axe to grind.

I have been using AirBnB for years and have noticed the once cheap prices are now harder to find, and some of the places are so pokey and shabbily furnished they are worse value than a hotel room. Phnom Penh is a good example where a naff little apartment is available for $93 a night, when you can a 1 bed suite in the Palace Gate residence for $70 a night, and that has a real kitchen.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/30027509?l ... Yv41dhvaT0

** https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... -expansion
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:24 pm

You may run a professional outfit, but these building management companies in city suburbs all around Europe are not banning short-term lets for a laugh. Whole towns are are banning them in swathes.

It is not only the disturbance that a constant turnover of tenants creates, but also the reduction of long-term leases available to locals because investor landlords prefer the AirBnB models as more profitable and don't risk tenants acquiring eviction rights. 60,000 properties in Paris alone that once was available for housing and now is only available for holiday lets.

Many cities say the short-term holiday lettings boom is contributing to soaring long-term rents, although speculation and poor social housing provision are also factors. Last year Palma de Mallorca voted to ban almost all listings after a 50% increase in tourist lets was followed by a 40% rise in residential rents.

The hotel industry is also behind many of these banning activity, but they have their own axe to grind.

I have been using AirBnB for years and have noticed the once cheap prices are now harder to find, and some of the places are so pokey and shabbily furnished they are worse value than a hotel room. Phnom Penh is a good example where a naff little apartment is available for $93 a night, when you can a 1 bed suite in the Palace Gate residence for $70 a night, and that has a real kitchen.

Totally agree, not as a hotel person but because I see the gentrification of e.g. Berlin, where rents have become unaffordable for most.
Berlin is the unchallenged Airbnb capital of Germany: More flats and rooms are offered here than in Hamburg, Munich, Cologne and Frankfurt combined. According to the data that Airbnb makes publicly accessible, around 11 700 accommodation units are offered for rental in Berlin each day.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Housing shortage and high rents is not really caused by STRs. Cities have not just build enough housing.

For example USA is short of 3-4 million homes (some figures say even over 5million). Airbnb has ~1,7 million listings currently. But out of that 1,7 million properties closer to million are high end properties (+6 bedroom mansions, high end condos near beach etc.), unique rentals (tents, glamping, treehouses), private/ shared rooms (someone is just part time renting spare room) or part time properties (people renting their home when go for holiday). So in reality only about half of the Airbnbs are suitable for long term housing. And still many of the these are in locations where the local economy can’t support someone living in the homes (outside of cities, near national parks etc., where there are no jobs). Same thing in Europe. Cities just have not planned enough housing. Berlin being the perfect example of this.

In western countries Airbnb prices have went up due to these restrictions the cities have implemented. In Cambodia the lack of knowledgle of the Airbnb host and property owners is the cause for high prices.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm

Housing shortage and high rents is not really caused by STRs. Cities have not just build enough housing.

For example USA is short of 3-4 million homes (some figures say even over 5million). Airbnb has ~1,7 million listings currently. But out of that 1,7 million properties closer to million are high end properties (+6 bedroom mansions, high end condos near beach etc.), unique rentals (tents, glamping, treehouses) or private/ shared rooms (someone is just part time renting spare room). So in reality only about half of the Airbnbs are suitable for long term housing. And still many of the these are in locations where the local economy can’t support someone living in the homes (outside of cities, near national parks etc.). Same thing in Europe. Cities just have not planned enough housing. Berlin being the perfect example of this.

Airbnb prices have went up due to these restrictions in western countries. In Cambodia the lack of knowledgle of the Airbnb host and property owners is the cause for high prices.
Well I certainly agree with that.

Puerto Pollensa in Majorca enabled building owners to ban holiday lets unless 75% of the owners approved it. Very few blocks got anywhere near that threshold. The result is the once easy to find €50 a night apartment will now be closer to €150 a night, which is more than a cheap hotel. My friends entire AirBnb rentals and management business (check-ins, cleaning etc for other owners) went up in smoke overnight.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic