Cooling rooftop paint

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ali baba
Expatriate

Cooling rooftop paint

Post by ali baba »

I've seen news reports about special paints that are highly reflective and can make your roof much cooler. Are they available in Cambodia?
Scarier than malaria.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Cooling rooftop paint

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ali baba wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:29 pm I've seen news reports about special paints that are highly reflective and can make your roof much cooler. Are they available in Cambodia?
Yeah, it's the stuff they paint felt sealed rooves with

But any silver paint would be a help
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

As well as agreeing with the previous poster I would like to add, for anyone installing a new sheet steel roof to check if the plastisol coated steel sheets are available in Goosewing Grey or white. Obviously, white would be ideal but Goosewing Grey would actually be better long term as the white coating tends to suffer from adhesion issues due to the installation process when it is manufactured as it is applied under heat. Basically, being white it has to be put on at a slightly higher temperature as it is so reflective. I recall having a visit from the techy guys at Corus (now Tata steel) as we were getting fracturing on the 0.8mm white plastisol sheets when doing 110° bend + flatten (to effectively a 180° bend)
Olive Green and the blue (I forget the name of the colour as we didnt use it much) are terrible colours to use here as they absorb so much heat and I see them used everywhere.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I had my entire roof painted bright white. It seemed to knock a degree or two off the room temperature for a while.

I looked on Google maps a while after and to my amazement, there was my roof looking like an alpine ski slope, so bright and white amongst all the drab greys.

Fast forward 3 years and I looked again. It's virtually all washed off, except for the metal tin roof over the balcony. The tiles on the roof couldn't hold the paint.

I got a decent AC unit in the interim so I won't be bothering to paint it again.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I think a better solution would be to add an insulation layer on top of the metal sheeting. I would install the traditional "grass" style roof ,as used in countryside, over the metal roof. That would block any radiated heat from the sun.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

beaker wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:20 pm I think a better solution would be to add an insulation layer on top of the metal sheeting. I would install the traditional "grass" style roof ,as used in countryside, over the metal roof. That would block any radiated heat from the sun.
A 'grass style roof' will be a challenge in both the dry season and the rainy season, I reckon. Anyone experience with it?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:03 pm I had my entire roof painted bright white. It seemed to knock a degree or two off the room temperature for a while.

I looked on Google maps a while after and to my amazement, there was my roof looking like an alpine ski slope, so bright and white amongst all the drab greys.

Fast forward 3 years and I looked again. It's virtually all washed off, except for the metal tin roof over the balcony. The tiles on the roof couldn't hold the paint.

I got a decent AC unit in the interim so I won't be bothering to paint it again.
Ha, I did exactly the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago, but only on the tiled part of my roof, just using some old white paint left over from another job. Gave it another coat last year but it was a bit scary looking down 4 stories so didn't paint the row of tiles close to the edge. It probably lowers the temperature a few degrees but the main problem is the heat build-up in the brick / tile walls. After sundown you can feel the heat difference when you put your hand on the wall, even though its a wall that faces the east / rising sun.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:31 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:03 pm I had my entire roof painted bright white. It seemed to knock a degree or two off the room temperature for a while.

Ha, I did exactly the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago, but only on the tiled part of my roof, just using some old white paint left over from another job. Gave it another coat last year but it was a bit scary looking down 4 stories so didn't paint the row of tiles close to the edge. It probably lowers the temperature a few degrees but the main problem is the heat build-up in the brick / tile walls. After sundown you can feel the heat difference when you put your hand on the wall, even though its a wall that faces the east / rising sun.
Even if you paint everything white..... When the temperature reaches high 30's or low 40's during the day without any rain you will be left with a very hot pile of stones and concrete at the end of the day, requiring long hours to cool down to even 30 degrees.

Better live in a wooden house which heats up like an oven during the day but can be bearable again at 8 PM because it cools down as fast as it heats up.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Pollution, debris & fade would give it a limited benefit.
A more practicable long term solution would be to build an insulated ceiling, allowing ventilation between the ceiling & roof cavity.
Hot air travels up & out!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:18 pm
beaker wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:20 pm I think a better solution would be to add an insulation layer on top of the metal sheeting. I would install the traditional "grass" style roof ,as used in countryside, over the metal roof. That would block any radiated heat from the sun.
A 'grass style roof' will be a challenge in both the dry season and the rainy season, I reckon. Anyone experience with it?
The grass style roofs are a good idea to keep the heat off the metal or concrete, but they do need replacing every year or two.

The best solution would be a rooftop pergola covered with any kind of natural growth ( a vine or wisteria, etc.).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic