King's Birthday -- National Holiday

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

King's Birthday -- National Holiday

Post by Izzy »

Today is a national holiday to celebrate the King's birthday. I'm curious as to how it is celebrated and whether there will be a lot of closings.
"You can't change the people around you...but you can change the people around you!"
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Re: King's Birthday -- National Holiday

Post by Izzy »

Oh, I see that this was addressed in "Cambodian Culture" topic. It looks like government workers get the day off. Do businesses also close? From the sounds outside my apartment, I gather that building construction doesn't stop!
"You can't change the people around you...but you can change the people around you!"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Does anyone know of the banks, in particular ABA ,are closed today?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Strictly speaking the holiday was Sunday. For a couple of years now the official policy is that Sunday holidays don't get carried over to the Monday.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Izzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 am Today is a national holiday to celebrate the King's birthday. I'm curious as to how it is celebrated and whether there will be a lot of closings.
It was yesterday, the 14th, today's business as usual.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:57 am Does anyone know of the banks, in particular ABA ,are closed today?
ABA will be open, at least per their own calendar:

https://www.ababank.com/fileadmin/user_ ... 023-EN.pdf
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Izzy »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:24 am
Izzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 am Today is a national holiday to celebrate the King's birthday. I'm curious as to how it is celebrated and whether there will be a lot of closings.
Are you certain? "PublicHolidays.Asia...." indicates that the actual birthday was the 14th but the 15th is a public holiday in celebration.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Izzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:24 am
Are you certain? "PublicHolidays.Asia...." indicates that the actual birthday was the 14th but the 15th is a public holiday in celebration.
Nothing mentioned on the official sub-decree or anywhere else.
Izzy
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Izzy »

Thanks! So, as was said, Business As Usual!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Izzy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:41 am Oh, I see that this was addressed in "Cambodian Culture" topic. It looks like government workers get the day off. Do businesses also close? From the sounds outside my apartment, I gather that building construction doesn't stop!
School was open , just a passing commemorative cliché on myface like they do all the time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic