Moving House.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Moving House.

Post by Tootsfriend »

How often do you move house or from one apartment to another and why.? I think its always a good idea to move every 5 or so years so you have a reason to throw out all that junk that's accumulated over the years, but it seems some people move every few months . Better deals, better views, pissed off with your neighbors or is it just a matter of having itchy feet and not being able to settle down.
For me it's 16 years in the same place and probably too lazy to move now.

What's your record.?
violet
Expatriate

Re: Moving House.

Post by violet »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:27 pm How often do you move house or from one apartment to another and why.? I think its always a good idea to move every 5 or so years so you have a reason to throw out all that junk that's accumulated over the years, but it seems some people move every few months . Better deals, better views, pissed off with your neighbors or is it just a matter of having itchy feet and not being able to settle down.

What's your record.?
As an adult I have only twice lived in a place more than three years: where I live now (3 months shy of three years but I see nothing to suggest I will be moving in the next 9 months) and back in 2013 to 2017 when I managed 3 years and 8 months.

Other than that my average was 6 months. Very draining.

Edited add a mention of why - that’s probably too much disclosure for me on a forum.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Usually stay one or two years in each country, how many different places within depends on many factors but my record is probably around 3 years in the same accomodation.

Generally I feel that after two years you know a place quite well. Well enough to leave and come back 10 years later and still feel somewhat at home.

I enjoy creating these "alternative homes" for myself and look forward to start revisiting them as I grow a bit older and want something more comfortable and "known".
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:27 pm How often do you move house or from one apartment to another and why.? I think its always a good idea to move every 5 or so years so you have a reason to throw out all that junk that's accumulated over the years, but it seems some people move every few months . Better deals, better views, pissed off with your neighbors or is it just a matter of having itchy feet and not being able to settle down.

What's your record.?
I move every time I get kicked out and it’s always a good move
Always an upgrade. , had a sweet nice place 2 years during covid - so scheeap.
Moved when the rent went up , or whenever my contract is up and they don’t renew my ass
Now I just got a super sweet deal where I am now and making friends with the boss and might buy this place .
I been lugging the same suitcase 🧳 full of socks and blue jeans around with me for 11 years now
I’m a hoarder and got so much crap I couldn’t dream of parting with
When ever I die someday someone will have all my junk !
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Plus I got a few fairly large aquarium with these $200 fish 🐟 in them that used to jump out until i outsmarted them
They are microchipped like a puppy .
I tried to attach a photo but I’m getting an error message .
So it goes …
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I lived in the same room for 5 years at the same hotel in sihanoukville ,
Surprising ain’t it ?
When I went fora vacation in thailand for almost a month I asked a worker to turn the air conditioner on and off once in awhile. , but reception just said to leave it on , so I did , sorry about that Mother Earth !
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Seven years in my current home. The landlord is decent, the rent fair, the apartment nice, and the location good. No plan to move, unless the landlord suddenly becomes unreasonable when it's time to renew the lease!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Shortest-
I signed for a new apartment just before COVID. I was due to move in on my next trip home when borders and airlines shut down. SWMBO and the kids had the joy of moving in, and had moved out again before I ever got to sleep in the place- it turned out to be unliveable, which was a shame as it was a sizeable corner apartment 2 blocks from riverside.

No matter how hard I try, I seem to be something of a nomad.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

I lived in Sihanouk until my landlord broke my lease with 7 months remaining. I moved to Kampot... landlord's wife was mad I have 1 year lease and she watch rents go up..I hated Kampot and my landlord's games behind my back. I gave him an out...Give me back my deposit and I go after 11 months..
He so happy he bought the water heater I had bought.
He did not know I would of given it to him..
I took my $800usd and moved to SR..
I move every year when my lease is up.
I have had 4 apartments and 1 house in SR.
My apartment now is the best deal and best place I have ever had in Cambodia...prices went down here a lot...I was just on Koh Rong...they want me to move there....I like my pool, generator and quiet building.
I suspect I find reason to move again in December when my lease is up...
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

JReb wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:09 am I lived in Sihanouk until my landlord broke my lease with 7 months remaining. I moved to Kampot... landlord's wife was mad I have 1 year lease and she watch rents go up..I hated Kampot and my landlord's games behind my back. I gave him an out...Give me back my deposit and I go after 11 months..
He so happy he bought the water heater I had bought.
He did not know I would of given it to him..
I took my $800usd and moved to SR..
I move every year when my lease is up.
I have had 4 apartments and 1 house in SR.
My apartment now is the best deal and best place I have ever had in Cambodia...prices went down here a lot...I was just on Koh Rong...they want me to move there....I like my pool, generator and quiet building.
I suspect I find reason to move again in December when my lease is up...

Those were the worst time of my life and why I hate the chinese so much ,
even I know it was the cambros who sold out

I was lucky to find a nice hotel outside of town to hang my suitcase 🧳
I stayed there until I couldn’t hack the weirdos of kampot any more and downgaded to kampong thom
where I dove off my balcony and almost ended it , but found out the hard way ….
ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic