Moving House.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving House.

Post by Kammekor »

Been in the same house since Jan. 2014 now. Bought the land in 2012, had our own house constructed, and moved in. Tried to move closer to Phnom Penh in 2015-2016 but found out it's pretty hard to sell property out in the province. So now I'm still there. Not regretting it, it's just that the traveling to / from Phnom Penh can be a bit of a pain. Life here is a lot better than in Phnom Penh. The weather is cooler for sure, a large garden around the house allows for some home grown veggies, fruit and meat, and at night it's so quiet and so dark you can actually see the Milky Way. Dogs love it too. no need to take them out, they let themselves out in the forest behind the house.
Costwise it's a win too. No rent payments and electricity directly to EDC. Water comes from our own well. The initial investment was relatively high (Land: 3.300 USD, house: 28.000 USD, well: 1.700 USD) but now, nine years later, I guess it has already paid for itself. It's just electrics now, this month 128,000 riels.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:59 pm Been in the same house since Jan. 2014 now. Bought the land in 2012, had our own house constructed, and moved in. Tried to move closer to Phnom Penh in 2015-2016 but found out it's pretty hard to sell property out in the province. So now I'm still there. Not regretting it, it's just that the traveling to / from Phnom Penh can be a bit of a pain. Life here is a lot better than in Phnom Penh. The weather is cooler for sure, a large garden around the house allows for some home grown veggies, fruit and meat, and at night it's so quiet and so dark you can actually see the Milky Way. Dogs love it too. no need to take them out, they let themselves out in the forest behind the house.
Costwise it's a win too. No rent payments and electricity directly to EDC. Water comes from our own well. The initial investment was relatively high (Land: 3.300 USD, house: 28.000 USD, well: 1.700 USD) but now, nine years later, I guess it has already paid for itself. It's just electrics now, this month 128,000 riels.
Quote,,
large garden around the house allows for some home grown veggies, fruit and meat, and at night it's so quiet.

WOW, So lucky to be able to do that. Any plans to use solar panels in the future ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

three years is pushing it usually

I move house on average prob every 24 months, have done since I left home almost a quarter century back
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:17 pm three years is pushing it usually

I move house on average prob every 24 months, have done since I left home almost a quarter century back
The big question is '' why ''. Not why you left home, we can probably understand that, but why have you moved so often ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:53 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:59 pm Been in the same house since Jan. 2014 now. Bought the land in 2012, had our own house constructed, and moved in. Tried to move closer to Phnom Penh in 2015-2016 but found out it's pretty hard to sell property out in the province. So now I'm still there. Not regretting it, it's just that the traveling to / from Phnom Penh can be a bit of a pain. Life here is a lot better than in Phnom Penh. The weather is cooler for sure, a large garden around the house allows for some home grown veggies, fruit and meat, and at night it's so quiet and so dark you can actually see the Milky Way. Dogs love it too. no need to take them out, they let themselves out in the forest behind the house.
Quote,,
large garden around the house allows for some home grown veggies, fruit and meat, and at night it's so quiet.

WOW, So lucky to be able to do that. Any plans to use solar panels in the future ?
Nor really to be honest. Price & lack of skills, limited warranty & dust hold me back.
In the dry season everything gets covered with a layer of dust. Without some kind of if 'washing / cleaning' the power delivered by solar panels will drop to nearly zero in January I think.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:06 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:17 pm three years is pushing it usually

The big question is '' why ''. Not why you left home, we can probably understand that, but why have you moved so often ?
Rental market I guess here past quite a while now, plus at least three work related moves

When I was younger I was living in many different countries and cities so moving house is part of that too
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Freightdog wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:03 pm Shortest-
I signed for a new apartment just before COVID. I was due to move in on my next trip home when borders and airlines shut down. SWMBO and the kids had the joy of moving in, and had moved out again before I ever got to sleep in the place- it turned out to be unliveable, which was a shame as it was a sizeable corner apartment 2 blocks from riverside.

No matter how hard I try, I seem to be something of a nomad.
I just looked up swimbo,
SWMBO (plural SWMBOs) (humorous) Initialism of she who must be obeyed: one's wife or female partner.

You must be a wimp to the 10 th degreee .

:stir:
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I always owned till recently and now as a tenant I am protected by rent control - as such my rent is already lower by 50% of market rates. To move would cost me a lot - rates have soared. Because of that I feel a bit stuck right now because a move would cost me another $6000 a year and it would be difficult to even find something as good for that.
Stay classy na
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Own fruit und and veg and hopefully fresh eggs (and chicken) is such a great plus. Having a quiet night is priceless too. I am not sure if I could live in any big city for a long time. I need the green and blue around me.
work is for people who cant find truffles
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:53 pm
Quote,,

I envy you to have that lifestyle it sound like that old French song ( Sacha Distle 1964) La Belle Vie)
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic