Visas - retirement or work

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Visas - retirement or work

Post by DavidFieldman »

Hello, everyone,

I just relocated to Phnom Penh from China. I am a post-retiree and will do the visa run from PP to the Vietnam border on Sunday. Some I have spoken with advised me to obtain a retirement visa, while others have suggested a work visa. Despite my advanced years -- I am extremely healthy, I would like to find work. Please advise pros and cons of the retirement vs. work visa issue.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my message.

David
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Visas - retirement or work

Post by cautious colin »

DavidFieldman wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:58 pm Hello, everyone,

I just relocated to Phnom Penh from China. I am a post-retiree and will do the visa run from PP to the Vietnam border on Sunday. Some I have spoken with advised me to obtain a retirement visa, while others have suggested a work visa. Despite my advanced years -- I am extremely healthy, I would like to find work. Please advise pros and cons of the retirement vs. work visa issue.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my message.

David
If you're going to work, get a work visa extension. If not working get a retirement visa extension.

With retirement visa extension you can not work. But don't need a work permit (obviously)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visas - retirement or work

Post by John Bingham »

Why do you have to do a visa run? Did you enter on a tourist visa? Anyway you need to get a 30 day E-class visa on arrival. EB for work or ER for retirement are extensions that you apply for afterwards. The pros of an EB are that you can legally work, the cons are that it needs supporting documentation such as work permits, proof of residency etc to be extended for any long length of time. The pros of a retirement visa are that they are relatively easy to get and can be extended easily. The cons are that you can't work on one, and you can't change an ER into an EB.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic