If/When China invades Taiwan

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

If/When China invades Taiwan

Post by IraHayes »

After reading this article by Tong Zhao
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/taiwan/- ... ens-taiwan

I find myself falling into the "when" camp on the China-Taiwan situation.

My question to everyone here is this:

If the worst happens what do you think will happen in Cambodia?
Given the close ties the CPP has with the CCP it is unlikely they will stay neutral. Though I do think that as soon as any invasion of Taiwan starts to go badly for China they will just swap sides and claim they were always best friends of the West.

I know many will just go home as they have not put the roots down here that others have. And that's ok. It's an honest option that, unfortunately, others may not have or one that they may not wish to consider due to the connections they have here.
violet
Expatriate

Re: If/When China invades Taiwan

Post by violet »

Are you saying that there would be fighting in Cambodia or that maybe a stray missile might be a risk?

Would Cambodia actually send soldiers?

I’m wondering why people would go back to their native countries
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

NO. I am asking what people think will happen to Westerners in Cambodia if China invades Taiwan. Even though the Taiwan Relations Act doesn't explicitly state that the US will come to Taiwan's defense it also doesn't preclude it and Japan also changed its constitution thus allowing it to come to the aid of Taiwan should China invade.

Do people think the West won't become directly involved?
Do you think nothing will change in Cambodia either way. ie whether the West gets involved or not?
Will we all become persona non gratia?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:35 pm NO. I am asking what people think will happen to Westerners in Cambodia if China invades Taiwan. Even though the Taiwan Relations Act doesn't explicitly state that the US will come to Taiwan's defense it also doesn't preclude it and Japan also changed its constitution thus allowing it to come to the aid of Taiwan should China invade.

Do people think the West won't become directly involved?
Do you think nothing will change in Cambodia either way. ie whether the West gets involved or not?
Will we all become persona non gratia?
I have the feeling the Chinese will become (even more?) persona non grata because they will be compared to the Thai trying to take over Preah Vihear, which once was Thai but has been Cambodian soil for long
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

What I fear is a triple scenario. China attacking Taiwan, Kim Jong Un going crazy and at the same time Putin still with the red button on hand.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Why limit it to Cambodia? What about Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

China potentially needs to distract Vietnam and Thailand in an invasion of Taiwan. They have bases fleets and armies that could assist in countering China in the South China Sea and the straits of Malacca.

Telling Cambodia to settle old scores and take back stolen land is a great distraction.

Sure, taking back the lands would ultimately fail, and there would be a high price to be paid in Cambodian lives, but Thailand and Vietnam would be too busy defending themselves in the meantime and unable to block the PLAN PLA PLAA invasion.

That’s my greatest fear.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Speculations and hypotheticals. Not even worth thinking or worrying about.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

" I am asking what people think will happen to Westerners in Cambodia if China invades Taiwan "

Why would anything happen to Westerners ?

Taiwan doesn't border Cambodia at all
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think the OP has a valid question. If China does attempt to invade Taiwan, this region will be forced to pick a side. Remaining neutral won't be a realistic option as it will be viewed as supportive of China who will clearly be the aggressor.

Cambodia is such an insignificant country both militarily and economically, nobody will really care what they say, most know they are China's poodle.

The Malacca Straight is a well-known choke point for trade and oil, and the closure of that will be a priority if things get very serious. If Cambodia allows China to use its southern coast for Chinese Naval vessels then Cambodia will become a legitimate target for all sorts of sanctions, a blockade and possibly an outright attack on the bases. Obviously, this will only occur if there are full-scale battles over Taiwan and the gloves are well and truly off.

What is for sure is this: If China and the US get into a military conflict over Taiwan, this region will not be a place to hang out safely. Your money wont be safe in any bank, Swift will be cut off for all collaborating countries. Tourism will evaporate and air travel will be seriously curtailed. Imports of your favourite western foods will collapse.

Have a plan B.

On the plus side, if the shit hits the fan, it may well trigger an exodus of 'wealthy' Khmers looking to spend more time in their luxury foreign homes using their multiple foreign bank accounts and multiple foreign passports. And this may happen quickly before personal sanctions are applied.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic