How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

Post by rozzieoz »

If you’ve been considering moving to a new country, chances are that you’re feeling despondent because of learning about strict immigration requirements for some of the more popular destinations such as the UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. These countries have systems where you have to score sufficient points based on strict requirements, be extremely highly qualified according to predetermined skills shortage lists or have a substantial amount of money in the bank before your application to immigrate will even be considered.

Over the past few years though, Cambodia has become an extremely popular immigration destination for those who are keen to make a fresh start, but simply cannot afford to relocate to the abovementioned countries. While most people wouldn’t usually give this country a second thought, Cambodia has a lot to offer in the form of affordable living costs, a tropical climate all year round, friendly and helpful locals, great opportunities work-wise and a more relaxed pace of life in general.

A Straightforward and Affordable Process

Another aspect that has made this Southeast Asian country attractive to expats is the fact that it’s so easy and affordable to obtain a visa to seek and secure employment. As of March 2023, Cambodia’s official eVisa site (https://www.evisa.gov.kh) states that you’ll now need to apply online for an e-Visa prior to arriving in the country.

Applying for your eVisa on the abovementioned site is a three-step process:

• You’ll fill out the online application form and use the online passport reader technology to upload the required information
• Payment will then be requested, which can be done with a Mastercard, Visa card, Unionpay, Alipay or even WeChat
• Once your application has been processed and approved (usually within three business days), you’ll be able to download your eVisa certificate from your emails or the “Check & Change” tab on the website
• You must ensure that you have your eVisa ready to show immigration when arriving at the entry point
• Keep in mind that while, your visa will be valid for three months from the date of issue, you will initially only be allowed to remain in the country for 30 days – unless you renew it after finding employment

Below is some basic information regarding the completion of your visa application:

• When completing the paperwork, you’ll see two options for visas on the application form, namely E and T. You’ll need to select E if you intend searching for employment because the T option is a tourist visa only
• At the time of application, you’ll need to pay $42 ($35 visa and $7 processing fee) for your visa
• Once your application has been completed, you then have 30 days to seek employment on your existing visa
• After securing employment, you’ll need to go to the visa office in Phnom Penh to have your E visa converted to a business visa (EB category). This will be valid for up to 12 months from date of issue
• Once you have your visa, your employer will need to apply for a work permit for you
• If you don’t secure employment within the first 30 days of arriving in the country, don’t stress. It’s quite easy to renew your visa as needed
• Extending or renewing your visa will cost anywhere between $30 and $300, depending on whether it’s extended for one, three, six or 12 months at a time
• When extending your visa at a travel agent or a visa office, you may be required to pay in US Dollars

When applying for a work permit on your behalf, the following documents must be supplied:

• Three sets of application forms that have been issued by the Ministry of the Interior
• Your passport and Cambodian visa
• Three recent passport photos
• A certificate of health
• A written contract from the company or person who will be employing you

A Valid Work Permit is Essential

Although several foreigners have been working in Cambodia without the required work permits, officials have become a lot stricter at enforcing this regulation over the past few years. As such, you must ensure that your employer obtains a work permit for you. Failure to do so could result in you and your employer being heavily fined, which may affect the status of your visa as well.

Ensure that Basic Expenses Can be Covered

While most people know that the cost of living in Cambodia is relatively low, this doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to arrive in the country with little to no backup funds available.

Depending on where you intend living, it’s recommended that you have a nest egg of around $2,000 to $3,000 to help get yourself and your family settled as quickly as possible. This will help cover the cost of your first month’s rent and any additional deposit that may be required, along with obtaining SIM cards, stocking your grocery cupboard and purchasing any other items needed to make your rental feel like a home. You may also need to cover the cost of a hotel or other accommodation until you’re able to find a suitable place to live.

In most cases, expats are able to live on around $1,500 to $2,000 a month, and this includes rent, electricity, food, transport (via Tuk Tuk or bus, depending on where you’ll be staying), internet access/data and even a basic restaurant meal or two. However, this amount will vary according to whether you decide to live in one of the major cities or one of the outlying areas.

If you’re looking for somewhere to relocate with your family that is affordable, friendly and that offers a multitude of employment opportunities for virtually anyone, the Kingdom of Cambodia may be the perfect place to do so.

Disclaimer:

Please note that the costs associated with applying for and/or renewing visas may be subject to change from time to time. It’s recommended that you access the official Kingdom of Cambodia eVisa website to obtain the most current information in this regard.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

Post by John Bingham »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:40 pm Over the past few years though, Cambodia has become an extremely popular immigration destination for those who are keen to make a fresh start, but simply cannot afford to relocate to the abovementioned countries.
How many people wanted to move to UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand but decided to move to Cambodia instead? They aren't even remotely alike or comparable. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:16 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:40 pm Over the past few years though, Cambodia has become an extremely popular immigration destination for those who are keen to make a fresh start, but simply cannot afford to relocate to the abovementioned countries.
How many people wanted to move to UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand but decided to move to Cambodia instead? They aren't even remotely alike or comparable. :facepalm:
My clients are 99% South Africans. They want to move ANYWHERE that isn't South Africa. It's becoming a lot tougher for them to get into Australia, Canada and even New Zealand.
I had the article written for a new project and thought I'd share to get thoughts and input.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:10 pm
My clients are 99% South Africans. They want to move ANYWHERE that isn't South Africa. It's becoming a lot tougher for them to get into Australia, Canada and even New Zealand.
I had the article written for a new project and thought I'd share to get thoughts and input.
I think you have missed a big issue: Crime. Very little here to be fearful of, as opposed to SA. What is motivating your SA clients to want to be anywhere else? Perhaps a section on that issue?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Doc67 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:22 pm
I think you have missed a big issue: Crime. Very little here to be fearful of, as opposed to SA. What is motivating your SA clients to want to be anywhere else?
Very good point, it should be mentioned. Thank you :)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fair enough.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:36 pm
Fair enough.
I complete about 3 or 4 CVs a day at the moment, they are desperate to leave and I'd like to be part of the solution.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am confused:
Roz your writing cv's for SA to get a job in another country?
Is that easy to get a job for a SA in another country? I have no idea>>>
I assume there Not planning on moving to Cambodia :-)

4 cv's a day< ur banking serious $$$ Good for You<<<
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Rozz, I think your OP was well-written. Early last year I found myself living in Mauritius for a few months (between leaving Laos and returning to Thailand). There were many South Africans who were either settled in Mauritius or were on the island to obtain residency there. I was issued with an annual visa and could have legally remained there indefinitely except that it was ... well... too safe! I was used to 'living on the edge' mostly in Myanmar :)

I used to take breaks between my teaching contracts in PP, always found it a nice and safe place to stay. My retirement comes up in about 2 months and unless I keep working in Myanmar I will have to leave (no available visa etc). Cambodia is a possible destination for me, but more likely to return to see out my years in Luang Prabang (Laos).
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:28 pm I am confused:
Roz your writing cv's for SA to get a job in another country?
Is that easy to get a job for a SA in another country? I have no idea>>>
I assume there Not planning on moving to Cambodia :-)

4 cv's a day< ur banking serious $$$ Good for You<<<
I'll unconfuse you.
The majority of my clients are South Africans who are desperate to leave and move anywhere that isn't South Africa. In order to do that, they need a job.

It is EXTREMELY difficult for them to get jobs in other countries, which is why I am so popular. I am very good at what I do, having perfected my process and product over the last fifteen years.
My CVs are written to optimise the CV scanning process and many of my clients have tremendous success securing jobs before they even leave South Africa.

Most clients are hoping to move to Australia, New Zealand or Canada but I also get those wanting to go to the UK, and anywhere else that will take them, pretty much.
They were not planning a move to South East Asia but with things becoming more difficult around the world, I think this is a good option, even if they only stay here long enough for their other visas to come through.
In the case of Canada, this can take a few years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic