How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

Post by Yerg »

David Gordon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 pm I like to arrive at a new place and explore and discover and learn as I go. Sure I may pay a little bit more for a taxi fare but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small cost to pay to learn how it goes and it sure as hell isn’t $600!
As a well traveled ex-pat, when I moved to Cambodia which was something all anew for my experience. I could have done with a service like this. I’m not entirely sure I would have gone to $600 (but that’s not the point). Starting new and learning and exploring and adventuring are all fabulous. If I had my time over again, I’d have probably availed of this service.

I applaud you @rozzieoz. And I hope it works out well for you. You definitely have an entrepreneurial spirit and I respect that.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

David Gordon wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 pm I like to arrive at a new place and explore and discover and learn as I go. Sure I may pay a little bit more for a taxi fare but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small cost to pay to learn how it goes and it sure as hell isn’t $600!
Yes, but apparently a lot of South Africans have moved here and couldn't figure out how to buy water and ended up very dehydrated. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ong Tay wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:02 pm
violet wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:27 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 am @rozzieoz "As of March 2023, Cambodia’s official eVisa site (https://www.evisa.gov.kh) states that you’ll now need to apply online for an e-Visa prior to arriving in the country"

It is not a requirement to obtain an e-Visa prior to arrival, South Africans are officially eligible for the E-type VOA, however, many Saffers have experienced being denied an E-type VOA, and some even with an E-type e-Visa have experienced being denied entry on arrival. Another factor is the airlines, many are requiring Saffers to have a RETURN flight booking, visa and cash prior to being permitted to check-in....its a gamble for anyone travelling to Cambodia on an African passport, especially if darker skinned.
wow<<<
i still cant believe that Saffers will leave their county of birth to move to Cambodia in HOPES/DREAMS of landing a job teaching ( how many are truly qualified?) english and make enough to live on
and than get a job in any western country

maybe i am missing something
You really live up your name sometimes
Shouldn't we give Richard some degree of latitude, given that be must be around 80 years old?
That is an interesting point - but we take these things case by case. Some decline mentally around 70, some 80, some not at all. I’ve been blessed with Richard’s online presence for around 15 years. This is who he is.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The website is up - www.lets-go-guide.com
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

Why do you use term Saffer?
Do you know term White SA use for black?
SA has fallen.. Zimbabwe had fallen.. Zambia not much better... pattern exists..
I go there in 2004...
Teach English is something I learn about from Japanese gf. She want me to move to Japan teach English in 1982...from USA with my accent..
I know many USA accents..
I know 3 accents in Spanish..
I know Jamaican Patois...
The Queen's English is proper...ok...My friend in Buenos Aires go to Queen's English university in BA for 4 years. Her headmaster not want me to poison his students with my USA accents..ha ha..
I rather listen to Tommy Shelby...
Your responses is why I do not talk to you or hang out where you go.
I love Little Britain accents...
If you white you must escape South Africa..
I guess you never eat with people from Rhodesia oh, I mean Zimbabwe who lost their land.
My friend Charlie in Zambia had 20+ Arabian horses he was given to rescue them from bbq in Zimbabwe.
You all so intelligent...
I better put my complete collection of Morse and Endeavor on and brush up on my accent.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Teach English is something I learn about from Japanese gf.
What's your native language? You don't seem to know English too well.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:31 am
Teach English is something I learn about from Japanese gf.
What's your native language? You don't seem to know English too well.
That writing style..
with new rambling statements punctuated with . or .. or ...
and of course a new line..
leading onto a new radom and unconnected statement..
seems familiar to another poster who is now banned...
cant remember their name but am sure someone here knows who...
I am referring to.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Just like any business, the service is not compulsory.
Many southern Africans leave home due to horrific trauma caused by crimes against them or someone they love. Many of them have PTSD and don't know who to trust in a new country.
If my service is useful for them, fantastic. If it's not your thing, then that's fine too.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Thanks, this will help save me some trouble if I decide to move there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic