How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

Post by newsgatherer »

Good luck, I feel a good chunk of change to be made on those poor multicolored Saffers, and maybe this business venture will become something beyond the greatest imaginations? I feel success here on all fronts. And I'll make sure to keep my American ass as far away as humanly possible, Cheers!
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:07 am
simon43 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:08 pm
Interviews with at least three schools for a teaching job
But prior to taking that job, can you please sort them out with elocution lessons? I pity the Cambodian students who will end up speaking English with a broad SA accent! :)
I'd rather that than the American accent. Each to their own, I guess.
Oh, I thought it was a 'given' that American accents are at the bottom of the pile for preferred English accents :)

One reason why I always have decent job offers from Myanmar is because the students prefer to learn English from a teacher with RP (received pronunciation) accent. Anyway, this is all off-topic! :)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@rozzieoz "As of March 2023, Cambodia’s official eVisa site (https://www.evisa.gov.kh) states that you’ll now need to apply online for an e-Visa prior to arriving in the country"

It is not a requirement to obtain an e-Visa prior to arrival, South Africans are officially eligible for the E-type VOA, however, many Saffers have experienced being denied an E-type VOA, and some even with an E-type e-Visa have experienced being denied entry on arrival. Another factor is the airlines, many are requiring Saffers to have a RETURN flight booking, visa and cash prior to being permitted to check-in....its a gamble for anyone travelling to Cambodia on an African passport, especially if darker skinned.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 am @rozzieoz "As of March 2023, Cambodia’s official eVisa site (https://www.evisa.gov.kh) states that you’ll now need to apply online for an e-Visa prior to arriving in the country"

It is not a requirement to obtain an e-Visa prior to arrival, South Africans are officially eligible for the E-type VOA, however, many Saffers have experienced being denied an E-type VOA, and some even with an E-type e-Visa have experienced being denied entry on arrival. Another factor is the airlines, many are requiring Saffers to have a RETURN flight booking, visa and cash prior to being permitted to check-in....its a gamble for anyone travelling to Cambodia on an African passport, especially if darker skinned.
wow<<<
i still cant believe that Saffers will leave their county of birth to move to Cambodia in HOPES/DREAMS of landing a job teaching ( how many are truly qualified?) english and make enough to live on
and than get a job in any western country

maybe i am missing something
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:27 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 am @rozzieoz "As of March 2023, Cambodia’s official eVisa site (https://www.evisa.gov.kh) states that you’ll now need to apply online for an e-Visa prior to arriving in the country"

wow<<<
i still cant believe that Saffers will leave their county of birth to move to Cambodia in HOPES/DREAMS of landing a job teaching ( how many are truly qualified?) english and make enough to live on

Did I miss the part where it was stated that they are all totally destitute?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

wow<<<

You really live up your name sometimes
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

Good luck with your venture. I can see that South Africans will likely make up the most of your customers in the foreseeable future.

I would say that the reasons for South Africans coming to Cambodia is primarily economic eg. a gap year or an NGO contract, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that for some, it's just a temporary thing while they wait for a work permit/visa in Australia, New Zealand or elsewhere. South Africa is a very beautiful country but with serious socio-economic problems. The economy and currency has tanked, the competition for existing jobs is high and the odds are stacked against employment seekers who are from one of the minority racial groups.

The population of South Africa is around 60 million of which 29-30 million receive welfare grants! There are +/- 7.4 million taxpayers and +/- 7.8 million people unemployed. Prior to Covid the situation was not a whole lot better and the imposed Covid-related lockdowns just worsened the situation with thousands of businesses closing down and thousands of people losing their jobs. Crime is bad, but in reality, it's not evenly spread across the entire country and also not evenly spread across entire towns and cities. Much of the crime is related to unemployment and if this cannot be addressed, crime will increase.

The electricity problems started way back in 2007 and have just gotten progressively worse. The lifting of the Covid retrictions in South Africa co-incided with the highest load shedding since 2007. This continues (and continues to worsen) and has crippled all attempts to get the country's economy back on track post-Covid, which in turn, makes it almost impossible to address the current unemployment issues let alone create new jobs to meet the future demand. Today the only businesses which seem to be booming are in the alternate energy sector, the private security sector and politics.

PS:
What I found helpful in other countries was the services of a local for a few days worth of orientation. Someone who could speak English and give you (and/or your other half) a crash course on a few basic phrases and words, the best places to buy your basics, what prices are "fair", how/where to get internet/electricity/water connections etc, common scams/ripoffs you are likely to be exposed to, etc etc. Some NGOs and companies often provide this to new appointees. Might be worth looking into.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:27 am wow<<<

R, You worked with the Peace Corps, right?

And I'm guessing that at some stage you did some 'teaching'?

How qualified were you? Your post doesn't reflect a high level of education, especially with regard to English proficiency, to be honest.

Nevertheless, your post raises an interesting question: what percentage of ALL expats teaching in Cambodia trained specifically to teach before arrival. I'm not referring to a 4-week online TEFL, I was thinking more in terms of a B.Ed. or PGCE/ equivalent.

There are very few schools in Cambodia that strictly limit applicants to professionally-qualified teachers. Even at WASC/CIS/IB accredited schools, it is often impractical to insist on such candidates.

I doubt many Saffers plan on using their teaching credentials to move to a western country, to be honest. The west is sliding downhill rapidly, and SE Asia/Asia and the Middle East are far more attractive destinations. Did I not get the point you were making?
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

violet wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 am

wow<<<

You really live up your name sometimes
Shouldn't we give Richard some degree of latitude, given that be must be around 80 years old?
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I like to arrive at a new place and explore and discover and learn as I go. Sure I may pay a little bit more for a taxi fare but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small cost to pay to learn how it goes and it sure as hell isn’t $600!
Stay classy na
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic