How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How Easy is it to move to Cambodia?

Post by rozzieoz »

simon43 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:29 pm Rozz, I think your OP was well-written. Early last year I found myself living in Mauritius for a few months (between leaving Laos and returning to Thailand). There were many South Africans who were either settled in Mauritius or were on the island to obtain residency there. I was issued with an annual visa and could have legally remained there indefinitely except that it was ... well... too safe! I was used to 'living on the edge' mostly in Myanmar :)

I used to take breaks between my teaching contracts in PP, always found it a nice and safe place to stay. My retirement comes up in about 2 months and unless I keep working in Myanmar I will have to leave (no available visa etc). Cambodia is a possible destination for me, but more likely to return to see out my years in Luang Prabang (Laos).
Thank you!
I am actually working on a package to help with the relocation as well, things like helping them get their visa, bank account, SIM card etc- all the things that are difficult for first time expats.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

- Crime
- Load shedding (deliberate, so that the present government (and it's a stretch to call it a government) can privatise electricity supply at a huge profit for a few
- crime
- No future and fierce competition for the few jobs
- crime

It's worth mentioning that the immigrant demographic has changed from mostly white males around 10 years ago to include all races both genders and all ages, from high school graduates to pensioners nowdays
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

schlarry wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:46 am - Load shedding (deliberate, so that the present government (and it's a stretch to call it a government) can privatise electricity supply at a huge profit for a few
Load shedding is killing South Africa.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:01 am
simon43 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:29 pm Rozz, I think your OP was well-written. Early last year I found myself living in Mauritius for a few months (between leaving Laos and returning to Thailand). There were many South Africans who were either settled in Mauritius or were on the island to obtain residency there. I was issued with an annual visa and could have legally remained there indefinitely except that it was ... well... too safe! I was used to 'living on the edge' mostly in Myanmar :)

I used to take breaks between my teaching contracts in PP, always found it a nice and safe place to stay. My retirement comes up in about 2 months and unless I keep working in Myanmar I will have to leave (no available visa etc). Cambodia is a possible destination for me, but more likely to return to see out my years in Luang Prabang (Laos).
Thank you!
I am actually working on a package to help with the relocation as well, things like helping them get their visa, bank account, SIM card etc- all the things that are difficult for first time expats.
Any package must include accommodation for at least the first week or two, plus getting proper food supplies without roaming the streets and only seeing Smile and Panda. Careful management of housing expectations is needed, as the housing stock here is appalling and the agency system is little better.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Relocation package will include CV, cover letter and LinkedIn profile.
Client will be met at the airport and taken to their temporary apartment.
Accommodation for one month (rental not included in the package price)
Local SIM card and useful apps such as NHAM24 and PassApp
Interviews with at least three schools for a teaching job
Support for the visa application process (helping them find an agent, getting photos done etc)
Help with opening a bank account and learning to use the ABA app
Two afternoons of orientation - local market, shopping, how to buy water etc etc
Whatsapp / Messenger support for one week

I've tried to think of all the things that are really difficult for people when they move over. I think this should help a lot, the price will be around $600 per person.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Roz,

That sounds like an excellent service. Best of luck with that.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Thank you so much :) I am really excited, I've helped several friends relocate recently and you forget what a nightmare it can be. Hopefully this turns things around for a lot of South Africans.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I should add that I am actually now working with an immigration lawyer and recruiter in New Zealand, hoping to secure jobs for clients. Moving to Cambodia is Plan B, for while they wait.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Two afternoons of orientation - local market, shopping, how to buy water etc etc

I'm available for a booze-cruise orientation, introducing people the finest hostelries streets 172/136/130 have to offer.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Interviews with at least three schools for a teaching job
But prior to taking that job, can you please sort them out with elocution lessons? I pity the Cambodian students who will end up speaking English with a broad SA accent! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic