Open account at Prasac or LOLC

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Open account at Prasac or LOLC

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi everyone,

I’d like to open an account at Prasac or LOLC, and I want to have residence status for the tax rate.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get a multi month visa yet because I need to leave the country temporarily before I could do the multi month visa extension.

But I do have an employment contract, and a rental contract.

Will that be sufficient to open an account in my name, or is there any other documentation that I need?

Thanks in advance
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Open account at Prasac or LOLC

Post by Doc67 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:41 am Hi everyone,

I’d like to open an account at Prasac or LOLC, and I want to have residence status for the tax rate.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a multi month visa yet because I need to leave the country temporarily before I could do the multi month visa extension.

Will that be sufficient to open an account in my name, or is there any other documentation that I need?

Thanks in advance
Prasac sent me to the Sangkat with one of their employees to get a piece of paper confirming my address.

I showed them the lease agreement in the office, afterwards the staff member came to the apartment and checked I lived there, and then took me to the Sangkat and arranged for the certificate of residence to be issued. I needed 4 x $5 notes to "facilitate" the same-day service. I don't know what the form is technically called, but its purpose as far as I can deduce was to validate my lease as genuine and that I actually lived where I said I did.

It was my first and only direct dealing with Khmer bureaucracy. The shuffling of papers, the passing back of cash wrapped in paper to the next person with an official rubber stamp, and then it all lands on the desk of the grand fromage at the back of the room for his signature and stamp. It was a very odd experience, but remarkably efficient once you grease the wheels, sit back, and watch the show.

The withholding tax rates are very different for resident v. non-resident, so they ensure your paperwork is genuine. I think your annual visa needs to be issued, I can't see you getting a resident status with a tourist visa.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm I can't see you getting a resident status with a tourist visa.
Yeah, no chance on a tourist visa.

Just leave the country and get transferred to an E, then get the EB extension, and after that should be straightforward,
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

What are the different tax rates? I'm always charged 6% and no one questioned my address.
Scarier than malaria.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ali baba wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:21 am What are the different tax rates? I'm always charged 6% and no one questioned my address.
Which place is this? Prasac? LOLC? That info is important since every place may be different

6% is the resident rate but if they consider you to be non-resident they charge you more.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

cautious colin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:10 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm I can't see you getting a resident status with a tourist visa.
Yeah, no chance on a tourist visa.

Just leave the country and get transferred to an E, then get the EB extension, and after that should be straightforward,
I don’t have a tourist visa, but I couldn’t extend mine since I have to leave the country before it could be extended. That was in the original post.

The extension process is fairly long and since there are many holidays this month it takes even close to three weeks.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a multi month visa yet because I need to leave the country temporarily before I could do the multi month visa extension.

Thanks in advance
Prasac sent me to the Sangkat with one of their employees to get a piece of paper confirming my address.

I showed them the lease agreement in the office, afterwards the staff member came to the apartment and checked I lived there, and then took me to the Sangkat and arranged for the certificate of residence to be issued. I needed 4 x $5 notes to "facilitate" the same-day service. I don't know what the form is technically called, but its purpose as far as I can deduce was to validate my lease as genuine and that I actually lived where I said I did.

It was my first and only direct dealing with Khmer bureaucracy. The shuffling of papers, the passing back of cash wrapped in paper to the next person with an official rubber stamp, and then it all lands on the desk of the grand fromage at the back of the room for his signature and stamp. It was a very odd experience, but remarkably efficient once you grease the wheels, sit back, and watch the show.

The withholding tax rates are very different for resident v. non-resident, so they ensure your paperwork is genuine. I think your annual visa needs to be issued, I can't see you getting a resident status with a tourist visa.
I feel like I remember someone else having a different experience where they were registered as a resident without even really doing anything.

Your experience seems extreme. I guess it’s up to the particular bank or even branch office.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:19 am

Thanks in advance

I feel like I remember someone else having a different experience where they were registered as a resident without even really doing anything.

Your experience seems extreme. I guess it’s up to the particular bank or even branch office.
There was a thread by ClutchCargo a while back regarding opening an account with ABA (iirc). He went to several branches and found the requirements varied significantly between them. It might have tightened up, but just because one branch gives you a laundry list of onerous requirements, try a few others.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am
ali baba wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:21 am What are the different tax rates? I'm always charged 6% and no one questioned my address.
Which place is this? Prasac? LOLC? That info is important since every place may be different

6% is the resident rate but if they consider you to be non-resident they charge you more.
I think 14% would be the rate for a non-resident from what I understand from the GDT website.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In English you would call it a 'residency letter' I guess, in Khmer they have several words for it. From informal to formal:

saambotr snaknow (don't pronounce the r in saambotr) - literately: "letter to stay"
likhet snaknow
procheck ti roomnow (most formal)

If you show them this word in Khmer they will understand: លិខិតស្នាក់នៅ, it's the one in between.

Formal fee: 2000r by the way. But I guess you can forget that price.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic