Hacked on iPhone ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Hacked on iPhone ?

Post by General Mackevili »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:14 am Authenticator is a genuine App from the App Store...

Edit. On second looking, The one in the OP is similar to the one that the company used, which was microShiite related. But basically the same thing. Password and login storage. Still probably redundant. I’d still take some extra care with who uses the phone in your absence.
Yeah, no way in hell I would download that particular app in the screenshot!! I think it's supposed to fool you into thinking it's some official authenticator app, but that one has 1 review total and the developer looks to be some random Vietnamese guy named Tran Minh, so I'm pretty sure that's exactly who fucked POTR's phone and then wants you to install his own app to unfuck your phone.

Definitely use a legit authenticator if you're going to use one, as you can easily get locked out of your accounts if there's any issues. Authy is a good one, as it allows you to sync across your various devices. While that might be a tad bit less secure than say Google Authenticator, it's probably worth it so that you're a lot less likely to lock yourself out.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

A big case of User-Beware.

I counted no less than 20 similar looking apps, before I stopped counting. Similar, that is, to the Microsoft Authenticator that we were obliged to use, initially when our IT department forced unnecessary Microsoft stuff on us. All of these ‘similar’ apps have familiar looking logos, names, etc.
Clearly, if you can write an app, and it meets the basic guidelines, it will be available in the App Store. Quality control be damned.
Most have ‘in-app purchase’. Which is something that I generally avoid.

I don’t download anything unless it is actually genuinely useful to me, or has been checked out by the IT people and given their blessing. The latter- on their head be it, because I only download that stuff on company iPad, or it’s part of their standard configuration and cannot be removed.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:01 am Once you have reset your phone, never ever lend a phone. They can hack into the entire phone including your camera and all your passwords. Bank accounts, and it's game over.
Reset any other phones you have lent out.
You have been lucky so far, but you are probably being warehoused, where they store info on you to eventually "be you."
Huh?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:40 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:14 am Authenticator is a genuine App from the App Store, that I think is rather redundant now that phone OSs have evolved. It’s basically a repository of passwords.
We downloaded it a long while back when the company I was with used it for collating some company security stuff, but then we never used it once it was highlighted that while it’s compliant with basic app guidelines, it probably also stores your data elsewhere, not so compliantly.
So, delete it.

Here’s another thing. A lot of locals let the phone shop set up their phones for them, and they quite often end up with a clone of a clone of a clone… The other half is bad at that. Someone may well have downloaded the app based on ‘helpful’ advice.

Be selective about who you lend the phone to. If you must, track down all your spares, set up a separate Apple ID for ‘family’ to keep your stuff separate from theirs, and all your spares. And change all your current passwords.

Edit. On second looking, The one in the OP is similar to the one that the company used, which was microShiite related. But basically the same thing. Password and login storage. Still probably redundant. I’d still take some extra care with who uses the phone in your absence.
Brilliant , it’s nice to know TikTok ( had to be the culprit ) didn’t reconfigure the App Store on my genuine iPhone .
But I clicked the hack notice and that app popped up so it had to be ,
I don’t want that. So I just restarted , it’s fine now , it’s a real iPhone , i let a schkroouuT borrow
No problem never mind , it’s just for fun and games .
It’s just a throwaway , I got it because I didn’t like the color of the other one , it’s a #13
I got 10 iPhones
20 iPads .
4 different mac accounts in various random Names , yes PISSONTHEROOF is one of them .
I cant operate that “ other “ chinese junk . . I got 3 samsungs I never use , just for kicks .
Now we got cable t.v. And it snot ( say it fast ). Easy . To learn which buttons to press
( 2 separate remotes )

Anyway just signed here 2 years so will figger it out in time if i can lay off the sauce awhile
Seems like a strange brag. Why would you buy "throwaway" iPhones If not for you to use?

Also, it wouldn't be tiktok that messed your phone up, as others have suggested it would be adding something to the calendar that would cause this.

Tiktok doesn't interact with the calendar or download anything.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

From the original post, I can’t see where the later references for calendars came in- but I’m dog tired, so just as likely missing things.

Most likely, this particular ‘Authenticator’ app is achieving 2 things-
1)The password & 2FA thing, and
2)throwing up an ‘error’ or notification to scare the unaware into following a course of action voluntarily that would lead to something truly problematic being loaded.

Simple.
Delete all the shite.
Delete any apps that you didn’t add.
Reset the passwords for the Apple IDs, and don’t hand them out.
If you do lend the phone(s) out, treat the recipients like children, and do not give them authority to download anything- require the Apple ID password for every download and then they can’t fuck with it.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:04 pm From the original post, I can’t see where the later references for calendars came in- but I’m dog tired, so just as likely missing things.

Most likely, this particular ‘Authenticator’ app is achieving 2 things-
1)The password & 2FA thing, and
2)throwing up an ‘error’ or notification to scare the unaware into following a course of action voluntarily that would lead to something truly problematic being loaded.

Simple.
Delete all the shite.
If you do lend the phone(s) out, treat the recipients like children, and do not give them authority to download anything- require the Apple ID password for every download and then they can’t fuck with it.
Never hand your mobile phone to children, they will find a way to fuck it up. Hard or Soft.
work is for people who cant find truffles
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

cautious colin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:44 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:40 pm
Brilliant , it’s nice to know TikTok ( had to be the culprit ) didn’t reconfigure the App Store on my genuine iPhone .
But I clicked the hack notice and that app popped up so it had to be ,
I don’t want that. So I just restarted , it’s fine now , it’s a real iPhone , i let a schkroouuT borrow
No problem never mind , it’s just for fun and games .
It’s just a throwaway , I got it because I didn’t like the color of the other one , it’s a #13
I got 10 iPhones
20 iPads .
4 different mac accounts in various random Names , yes PISSONTHEROOF is one of them .
I cant operate that “ other “ chinese junk . . I got 3 samsungs I never use , just for kicks .
Now we got cable t.v. And it snot ( say it fast ). Easy . To learn which buttons to press
( 2 separate remotes )

Anyway just signed here 2 years so will figger it out in time if i can lay off the sauce awhile
Seems like a strange brag. Why would you buy "throwaway" iPhones If not for you to use?

Also, it wouldn't be tiktok that messed your phone up, as others have suggested it would be adding something to the calendar that would cause this.

Tiktok doesn't interact with the calendar or download anything.
[/quote]

Why would you buy "throwaway" iPhones If not for you to use?

Because I got money to burn and no iPods are available here .. it’s just a device with no “ real junk “ on it .
Don’t worry be happy or ,….
Don’t be happy , worry … up to you
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

truffledog wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:04 pm Simple.
Delete all the shite.
Never hand your mobile phone to children, they will find a way to fuck it up. Hard or Soft.
i bought this for the kid . (s) so i wouldn’t have to bring an ipad when we go out to eat .
it snot my regular phone with ABA and all that junk on it ! :dragonchase:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

cautious colin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:39 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:01 am Once you have reset your phone, never ever lend a phone. They can hack into the entire phone including your camera and all your passwords. Bank accounts, and it's game over.
You have been lucky so far, but you are probably being warehoused, where they store info on you to eventually "be you."
Huh?
Sorry, did I type too fast?
If a hacker gets your card details, or bank acc details, they need to max out/drain, respectively, immediately (before you cancel). All other info like dog's name, gf's name (not same!), who cuts your hair, how many apples in a bunch of grapes etc., is "warehoused" until there is enough data to crack your passwords or assume your identity, to open bank accounts, passport...
Before you know it, you could be jett-setting between Brazil, Mauritius, SEA... without leaving home.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:30 pm
cautious colin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:39 pm
Huh?
Sorry, did I type too fast?
If a hacker gets your card details, or bank acc details, they need to max out/drain, respectively, immediately (before you cancel). All other info like dog's name, gf's name (not same!), who cuts your hair, how many apples in a bunch of grapes etc., is "warehoused" until there is enough data to crack your passwords or assume your identity, to open bank accounts, passport...
Before you know it, you could be jett-setting between Brazil, Mauritius, SEA... without leaving home.
If you factory reset your phone, how is anybody supposed to be getting this data?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic