Can a Cambodian woman get married to a foreighner in a neighboring country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Can a Cambodian woman get married to a foreighner in a neighboring country?

Post by wanderer7777 »

Hi guys
I'm a westerner here in Cambodia , been with the same Khmer woman 3 years.
We would like to get married. Can not do it here because of income requirement .( Even tho I have assets amounting to 300K..They dont seem to care about that, just the 2500$ per month income paper)
So the way I see it,and correct me if I'm wrong, the options I have are:
1. K1 Fiance visa
Which is not necessary because we don't want to live or move to USA . Also is more of a hassle than applying for a :
2. Tourist visa for for her.
Which might be doable , because she has
a high paying job,1600$/mo. and is under a three year contract to the company ,
has a masters degree,
owns multiple properties (land)
strong ties to her family,
speaks English well.
She has no criminal record, no kids and is 34 yrs old..

But traveling to the U.S. is expensive, and that miserable 30 hr trip is exhausting

Question, would anyone know if we could get married in say ..Singapore , Vietnam ,Philippines ? I believe Thailand wont allow it. (Maybe that's changed)..or any place closer than U.S.?
Any advice/options?alternatives would be appreciated .
I realize if we marry outside of Cambodia it wont be recognized here..doesn't matter us.
Thankyou
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Can a Cambodian woman get married to a foreighner in a neighboring country?

Post by phuketrichard »

I only know that in Thailand NOPE< if u inquire at the embassy in Bangkok they tell ya to go back to Cambodia

you CAN marry in HK or Singapore thou Just run a duck duck go search "marry in......"

BUT if you dont care if its recognized in Cambodia ,,,, why get married? 0 advantage to you
and she will lose face by NOT marrying in Cambodia ( have heard stories of people having engagement parties and police showing up)

Live in sin as I do ( going on 13 years now ) :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Minimum $2500 per month Proof of income...doesn't need to be salary. What many people do is just make a fake employment letter from an overseas job stating that they earn $2500 or more p/mth, as long as it looks official....neither the MoFAIC or the MoI actually check...or, if you work in Cambodia, explain the situation to your employer and ask if they'll write you a letter and embellish your salary.

You can marry in another country, as long as that country doesn't require the woman to provide a Certificate of Single Status certified by the Cambodian Govt, as neither the MoFAIC
or Cambodian Embassies/Consulate will certify the Certificate of Celibacy, Widowhood or Divorce for the purpose of marriage abroad.

Note that getting your marriage abroad recognised in Cambodia can be a pain in the ass to achieve, ensure that you register your marriage abroad with the Cambodian Embassy/Consulate in that country to make the process easier.

Hong Kong is the easiest option nearby as PR said.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I posted this over in K440 in response to someone asking about marrying in Hong Kong...

possible to change it.

We were given the date we requested so didn’t need to change our appointment.

7. Cambodian citizens need a HK Visa - this is super easy to apply from Cambodia but not from the U.K. We got ours from Lucky Lucky, it took 5 days and cost $49 USD. It’s cheaper if you do it yourself but we needed to rush ours and were stretched for time.

8. Book your flights and accommodation - for 2 adults and a baby (yes they charge for infants on Cathay Pacific) it cost us $510 return. We stayed at Travelodge Central Hollywood Road (booked on booking.com) for $215 for three nights and would highly recommend it.

9. Arrive in Hong Kong 2 days prior to the day of your wedding. Go to the Marriage, Registry and Records Office and collect your Notice of Marriage posted. Be sure to take both passports and a print out of the email which you will have received to confirm Notice was posted.

Go to counter 20 and provide these documents.

The Male partner out of you will then have to declare an oath in front of an “officer” as a verbal affidavit, confirming by law that you are both single. This is read off a small placard. If you’re worried about reading English; don’t worry! I helped my husband pronounce a few words and it was fine. The process took about 5 minutes and we were then given the certificate which we would take to the registry on the day.

10. Get to the registry office 45 mins prior to scout for witnesses - we didn’t take any with us but were told by others that had gone through the process that it would be fairly easy to find two willing witnesses in Hong Kong and they were right! We found two people at the ground floor cafe who were more than happy to come and witness our wedding. We took our docs along with $715 HKD ($100 USD) for our certificate and were officially married within 10 minutes We wore jeans and a t-shirt and nobody seemed to care which I thought was fabulous!

Other information:

- You can also request for certificated copies of your marriage certificate on the day (we didn’t and we didn’t get a price but it’s good to know they offer this service)

- Hong Kong is super organized and we didn’t meet any corruption along the way or ever felt people wanted anything from us

- Eating out is fairly pricey in HK, the cheapest single meal we found at a local restaurant was $6.90 USD - costs can add up when eating out but if you’re looking to do this on a budget you can quite easily live on noodles from 711!

- Public transport is super cheap in HK with an average bus journey across the city costing around 40 cent (USD)

- The whole trip including all fees incurred cost us $1,200 and we indulged while there - you can definitely do this cheaper but it was well worth a holiday exploring a new city which we thoroughly fell in love with and we did a lot in those three days

I hope this helps anyone looking to get married in Hong Kong! Good luck
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I thought it was also possible to write a letter as a waiver-
6. Proof of salary of a minimum $2500USD p/m or waiver written and signed by both partners at the MoFAIC waiving the salary requirement by absolving the government of all responsibility for the marriage.
or is this one of those rules that exist in principal, but is better to circumvent by any means?
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wanderer7777 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:58 pm I posted this over in K440 in response to someone asking about marrying in Hong Kong...

possible to change it.

7. Cambodian citizens need a HK Visa - this is super easy to apply from Cambodia but not from the U.K. We got ours from Lucky Lucky, it took 5 days and cost $49 USD. It’s cheaper if you do it yourself but we needed to rush ours and were stretched for time.

8. Book your flights and accommodation - for 2 adults and a baby (yes they charge for infants on Cathay Pacific) it cost us $510 return. We stayed at Travelodge Central Hollywood Road (booked on booking.com) for $215 for three nights and would highly recommend it.

9. Arrive in Hong Kong 2 days prior to the day of your wedding. Go to the Marriage, Registry and Records Office and collect your Notice of Marriage posted. Be sure to take both passports and a print out of the email which you will have received to confirm Notice was posted.

The Male partner out of you will then have to declare an oath in front of an “officer” as a verbal affidavit, confirming by law that you are both single. This is read off a small placard. If you’re worried about reading English; don’t worry! I helped my husband pronounce a few words and it was fine. The process took about 5 minutes and we were then given the certificate which we would take to the registry on the day.

10. Get to the registry office 45 mins prior to scout for witnesses - we didn’t take any with us but were told by others that had gone through the process that it would be fairly easy to find two willing witnesses in Hong Kong and they were right! We found two people at the ground floor cafe who were more than happy to come and witness our wedding. We took our docs along with $715 HKD ($100 USD) for our certificate and were officially married within 10 minutes We wore jeans and a t-shirt and nobody seemed to care which I thought was fabulous!

Other information:

- You can also request for certificated copies of your marriage certificate on the day (we didn’t and we didn’t get a price but it’s good to know they offer this service)

- Hong Kong is super organized and we didn’t meet any corruption along the way or ever felt people wanted anything from us

- Eating out is fairly pricey in HK, the cheapest single meal we found at a local restaurant was $6.90 USD - costs can add up when eating out but if you’re looking to do this on a budget you can quite easily live on noodles from 711!

- Public transport is super cheap in HK with an average bus journey across the city costing around 40 cent (USD)

- The whole trip including all fees incurred cost us $1,200 and we indulged while there - you can definitely do this cheaper but it was well worth a holiday exploring a new city which we thoroughly fell in love with and we did a lot in those three days

Thanks for the info. just read your original post on K440 .May I ask when did you do this trip? because one of the requirements is you need to provide an invitation letter from someone there. somebody who is actually chinese.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm I thought it was also possible to write a letter as a waiver-
6. Proof of salary of a minimum $2500USD p/m or waiver written and signed by both partners at the MoFAIC waiving the salary requirement by absolving the government of all responsibility for the marriage.
or is this one of those rules that exist in principal, but is better to circumvent by any means?
The MoFAIC and MoI have not been accepting the waiver for at least 2-3 years based on several first hand reports.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

wanderer7777 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:11 pm Thanks for the info. just read your original post on K440 .May I ask when did you do this trip? because one of the requirements is you need to provide an invitation letter from someone there. somebody who is actually chinese.
Glad you read the original post on K440, cause I've just noticed that I didn't copy n pasta the full thing here.

I did not write that, it was posted by one of the members of the Married2Cambodia Facebook group.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

EDITED TO ADD THE PART I MISSED...

From the Married2Cambodia Facebook group...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/married ... group_link

MARRIAGE IN HONG KONG INFORMATION

Hi everyone, many people have recently requested information regarding getting married in Hong Kong as a foreign-Cambodian couple. As I have recently gone through this process I thought it might be helpful to some to share this very simple process.

Please note, if you get married in Hong Kong it is recognised in the U.K. and most other countries as far as I am aware. However, currently under Cambodian law marriages undertaken outside of Cambodia are not recognised in the country. As Cambodia grows and changes its laws, this may be something that changes in time, however for now this is the case. For us personally this wasn’t an issue as it is more important for us to have our marriage acknowledged in the U.K. than in Cambodia. Given that the cost and process of marrying in Hong Kong was far easier and cheaper than doing it in Cambodia (what with all the “tea money” involved here), we opted to do it in Hong Kong. I would recommend thinking carefully about which method would be more beneficial for you as a couple and go for whichever route you see fit. For those of you who’d like to know more about the process, read on...

10 EASY STEPS TO GETTING MARRIED IN HONG KONG

1. Contact the Marriage, Registry and Records Office in Hong Kong.

There email address is [email protected]

Inform them that you wish to get married in Hong Kong, mentioning both yours and your partner’s nationalities, and that you’d like to request further information on the process.

They responded to us within a few days with all the relevant information we required for the process along with the Notice of Intention to Marry forms.

2. Print off the Notice of Intention to Marry form along with the other forms and fill in as required. You will be asked to state which venue you would like to marry at (either Cotton Tree Drive or City Hall) and a
date you wish to marry. We requested City Hall as it is right in central Hong Kong and close to where we wanted to stay.

3. Print off copies of both your passports - the biometrics pages.

4. Notarisation - You will need the Notice of Intention to Marry form notarised by a registered notary or by a law firm that is registered to do notarisations, along with ONE of your passports. You will need to send in both copies of your passports however only ONE copy needs to be notorised.

We notorised ours in the U.K. however I have spoken with a couple who did it in Phnom Penh with a law firm and it was accepted. I don’t know which law firm this was with so you will have to check with whichever law firm you choose to ensure they are certified notaries.

Note: If either of you have been married before, you will also need to send in a certificate of divorce. If not, a single status certificate is NOT required, making the whole process that much easier. For us, neither of us have ever been married so we didn’t need to do this.

5. Send your documents off, adding in a cover letter for safe measure (we outlined our intention to marry and a request of notification via email, stating our email address, once our documents had been received and noticed had been posted).

These need to be sent by airmail to the address provided on the forms.

You also need to include a Bankers Draft issued by a Hong Kong associated bank for the sum of $305 HKD ($43 USD) addresses to THE GOVERNMENT OF HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION

This needs to be from a bank listed here: http://www.hkab.org.hk/DisplayMemberAct ... ectionid=0

6. They will send you an email once they have displayed your notice.

From the U.K. via airmail our documents arrived within 7 days and notice was posted immediately.

We received an email a day after notice had been posted.

Once your notice has been posted for 15 days you can arrange to get married within 3 months of giving notice.

If you need to change the original appointment you gave then contact the registry as soon as possible to change it.

Other information:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic