UK Passport - LOST and FOUND

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

UK Passport - LOST and FOUND

Post by Doc67 »

We had a young English bloke in the bar bemoaning his lot. He lives in Thailand and is visiting here and was planning to visit Vietnam before returning to Thailand.

He lost his passport, he searched (nearly) everywhere and eventually reported it lost to the UK Passport Office. 2 days later he found the passport in a shoe, where he had hidden it for safekeeping (while drunk). We've all been there...

He claims that once a passport is reported lost it is canceled, and if you subsequently find it, it can not be re-activated. Question 1: Does anyone know if that is true - once a passport is canceled it is canceled forever.

I told him to check this again, otherwise, his options are: apply for a replacement and wait here for up to 16 weeks, or get an Emergency Travel Document that will get him back to the UK, but NOT to Thailand.

Question 2: Is that correct? Will an ETD only allow you to travel to your home country? (Transit is permitted but no entering any country other than your home country)

He will also have Visa issues as he is here on a T visa only, but that's for another thread.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: UK Passport - LOST and FOUND

Post by Khmu Nation »

Sounds like a total muppet.
Calypso dancer
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Calypso dancer »

Yes Doc, absolutely true. Once you have reported a passport lost it is cancelled and cannot be reactivated even if you phone back two minutes later and say you've found it. Know this from personal experience. A real pain in the arse.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Calypso dancer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:21 am Yes Doc, absolutely true. Once you have reported a passport lost it is cancelled and cannot be reactivated even if you phone back two minutes later and say you've found it. Know this from personal experience. A real pain in the arse.
Thanks. Can you confirm this is for a UK passport?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:19 am Sounds like a total muppet.
A combination of youth, booze and doing an emergency lockdown of valuables while his lady visitor was in the shower.

Who amongst us is without such sins that they want to cast the first stone?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I understand that to be correct. Once reported, it’s technically cancelled even if subsequently found. Same with bank cards.
However, Given the rather slow processing by HMPO, and that everyone seems to be going on strike, he’s possibly got half a chance of hopping over the border on a visa run, and coming back in on an e-visa before anyone notices.
I wouldn’t try it, but if he does, it could make an interesting sequel.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:28 am I understand that to be correct. Once reported, it’s technically cancelled even if subsequently found. Same with bank cards.
However, Given the rather slow processing by HMPO, and that everyone seems to be going on strike, he’s possibly got half a chance of hopping over the border on a visa run, and coming back in on an e-visa before anyone notices.
I have actually suggested that, perhaps at Poipet. If he could sneak into Thailand he could then apply for a replacement to be sent to VFS in Bangkok. If the border guys spot the canceled passport he could play dumb, and return to PP and begin the application process.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:28 am I understand that to be correct. Once reported, it’s technically cancelled even if subsequently found. Same with bank cards.
I have actually suggested that, perhaps at Poipet. If he could sneak into Thailand he could then apply for a replacement to be sent to VFS in Bangkok. If the border guys spot the canceled passport he could play dumb, and return to PP and begin the application process.
I think the first thing VFS will notice when he applies for a new passport in Bangkok is the fact it was cancelled while he was in Cambodia. That will raise all kinds of red flags and might get him into trouble. Best case scenario in that case is his application will be delayed. Not sure what the worst outcome might be but governments tend to be extremely strict when it comes to messing with passports. I wouldn't take the risk.
At the border he can play dumb, at the VFS office in Bangkok he's f*cked when they notice. I think the odds they will notice at VFS are very, very high.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Story sounds way familiar, used to find stashed money every now and then after the hangover back when I was doing the bar thing.

Can also confirm that passports once cancelled stay that way, in the modern world it goes into the system as you report it lost.

If you cross a very old school land border while the passport hasn't physically been branded as cancelled you might get lucky but that's about it.

At least now he doesn't have to worry for a few weeks while bringing ladies home :beer3:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:51 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am
I think the first thing VFS will notice when he applies for a new passport in Bangkok is the fact it was cancelled while he was in Cambodia. That will raise all kinds of red flags and might get him into trouble. Best case scenario in that case is his application will be delayed. Not sure what the worst outcome might be but governments tend to be extremely strict when it comes to messing with passports. I wouldn't take the risk.
At the border he can play dumb, at the VFS office in Bangkok he's f*cked when they notice. I think the odds they will notice at VFS are very, very high.
I did think of that. When he applies at VFS in Bangkok he would have to apply for a Replacement based on a Lost - Cancelled - Found basis, not as a renewal due to impending expiry. But he will still have the old cancelled one that can be 'clipped' on the corner when the new one turns up. There's nothing there to upset the HMPO.

I'm not sure VFS Bangkok would twig it, they just check the forms, the full copy of the passport to be replaced (he still has it) and the credit card details are included for payment. I think HMPO might spot it as being cancelled in Cambodia but a replacement being sought in Thailand, but what are they going to do about it? They can't refuse a replacement. They probably know all about the holes in the system.

The alternative is 12-16 weeks stuck here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic