retiring to cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: retiring to cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

newsgatherer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:08 am The quality of expats is also better in Thailand, they generally seem friendlier, better informed and more sociable. So it's more than street food and unparalleled healthcare, it's also a lot better conversation you find going a little less east here. But I like cheap beer and cigarettes, and driving on the right side here gives me a good thrill, so an easy decision overall as far as I'm concerned.
Yes I like driving on the American side of the road also
And using american 🇺🇸 money since I got so much of it .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newsgatherer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:08 am The quality of expats is also better in Thailand, they generally seem friendlier, better informed and more sociable.
My experience has been the opposite.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:40 am
newsgatherer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:08 am The quality of expats is also better in Thailand, they generally seem friendlier, better informed and more sociable.
In Thailand it's a pretty mixed bag. Those who marry a local and stay in Thailand on the "marriage visa" are often as trashy as their bar girl wives.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Alex wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:01 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:40 am
In Thailand it's a pretty mixed bag. Those who marry a local and stay in Thailand on the "marriage visa" are often as trashy as their bar girl wives.
i had to go when the king died and military took over
my thai wife wanted to go to america , now shes in seattle with a green card ,
we are still married - we havent spoken for a dozen years
i made contact with our oldest son and the ither one is " lost in space " there , and i got 2 new kids here .
i am still married to the thai is why i have to go to hawaii to explain and get " jr " registered there for my life insurance
and get him his birth rights .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
harry
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by harry »

truffledog wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:00 pm
harry wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:26 pm Hello,

I want to retire to somewhere nice. I lost my wife last Novemember. I'm familiar with Thailand, but I can't quite stretch to the income requirements required there.
After a tentative check, it seems that there's no income requirement for a retirement visa for Cambodia. Can someone please confirm that this is the case?
Thailand only has a 800`000 Baht deposit requirement (+age).I would not emigrate to any country If I dont have that amount on the side. Life is full of risks, especially at retirement age.
I can easily make the 800,000 THB lump sum, I fall short on the monthly income.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

harry wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:43 pm

I want to retire to somewhere nice. I lost my wife last Novemember. I'm familiar with Thailand, but I can't quite stretch to the income requirements required there.
After a tentative check, it seems that there's no income requirement for a retirement visa for Cambodia. Can someone please confirm that this is the case?
Thailand only has a 800`000 Baht deposit requirement (+age).I would not emigrate to any country If I dont have that amount on the side. Life is full of risks, especially at retirement age.
its one or the other NOT both
OR combination of the 2

400,000 in the bank and 34,000/month income which needs be wired from OUTside Thailand into ur Thai banknote the 800,000 must sgtay in the bank year long but it can drop to 400,000 for 6 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm
OR combination of the 2

This makes no sense. If it's one or the other NOT both, isn't that the end of the sentence?

Why would you add "OR combination of the two" if the requirement is satisfied by "one or other"?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

harry wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:43 pm

Its a "OR" condition..if you have the 800K you dont have to meet the monthly income. Assumin you fulffill the age requirement there is a way to obtain your goal.
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

RONEV wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:10 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm
OR combination of the 2

This makes no sense. If it's one or the other NOT both, isn't that the end of the sentence?

Why would you add "OR combination of the two" if the requirement is satisfied by "one or other"?
Cause there are 3 ways to meet the requirements>
as stated in the example :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Relating to the combo method. I was informed by an visa agent, that one still needs to show 65K Baht coming into the Thai bank account monthly.

Sent from my SM-T570 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic