RIP Harry Belafonte

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

RIP Harry Belafonte

Post by phuketrichard »

ONe of the few things i recall of my dad was he loved Harry's songs an used to always play them when i was a kid.

Harry Belafonte, the famed pop star who died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at 96 years old, helped bring calypso to the masses via his 1956 album "Calypso," which featured his unavoidable rendition of the traditional Jamaican song "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)." But more central to his mission was uplifting those around him, specifically Black people trapped in the same systems of oppression he faced growing up in New York and Jamaica.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/h ... r-AA1allIH

and i am sure you all remember the rendition of the above song in "Beetlejuice" :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RIP Harry Belafonte

Post by Tootsfriend »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:27 am ONe of the few things i recall of my dad was he loved Harry's songs an used to always play them when i was a kid.

Harry Belafonte, the famed pop star who died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at 96 years old, helped bring calypso to the masses via his 1956 album "Calypso," which featured his unavoidable rendition of the traditional Jamaican song "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)." But more central to his mission was uplifting those around him, specifically Black people trapped in the same systems of oppression he faced growing up in New York and Jamaica.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/h ... r-AA1allIH

and i am sure you all remember the rendition of the above song in "Beetlejuice" :-)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: RIP Harry Belafonte

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Thought this was about Harry's riverside lounge bar for a moment!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic