Are you optimistic for the future?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Re: Are you optimistic for the future?

Post by Kampong Spooner »

Well the Hunster's kid seems to be doing ok as Lord of Kampong Speu....

Manet: 1st Khmer West Point Academy graduate, BITG army style. Also has PhD in economics from Bristol Uni (not a bad school).

Manith: Deputy Chief of Intelligence (lol)

Mani: Aforementioned Lord of Speu (and youngest member of parliament)

(Why do Khmers name their kids almost exactly the same name, must be confusing at dinner time, the others are Mali and Mana FFS, with Kamsot thrown in as a random)

The others are doing the same. Nepotism, for sure, but I don't know if they can be brushed off with the incompetent tag....
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah, just like soeharto's kids.

remained rich but can't govern.
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

^ Yes, then there's the 'To's' of the family as well.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

This was an interesting read
“If you want people to respect you in Cambodia, you must have a good car, good diamonds, a good cellphone,” explains Ouch Vichet, 28, better known as Richard. “It’s an I’m-richer-than-you competition.” Richard drives a black Cadillac Escalade ($150,000) and wears a Hèrmes watch ($2,500) and a 2.5-carat diamond ring ($13,000). “My money is from my parents,” he says with refreshing candour, and then breaks it down. They gave him a villa ($500,000), and a rubber plantation that will generate income for the rest of Richard’s natural life. His parents-in-law gave him $100,000 in cash and another villa, worth $200,000,
http://andrewmarshall.com/articles/maki ... ambodia-2/
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Ahhhhh, that's the reason why I have never felt respected in Camboland. But, the above is absolutely true. It'll take another 2 decades until things calm down and go back to normal. Even though the political situation in Cambodia won't allow them 2 decades. This country will be at another war within the next 4 years with greetings from Sam Rainsy and his racist followers. I've got the feeling that Cambodia will cease to exist.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Where would Rainsy get his army from?
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Don't know. Sponsored by the U.S ? Most likely the crowd will be his army. They will begin with an ethnic cleansing, killing hundred thousands of Vietnamese citizens living in Cambodia. When this happens I don't think that the Vietnamese government will sit around, twiddeling their thumbs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Some of theses rich kids are smart as hell, while a lot more don't give a shit because they think that they'll always be handed stuff on a plate. The former will most likely do well in the future, and contrary to what you might think many are developing social consciousnesses. The latter will eventually go the way of the dinosaur as they waste everything on luxury goods, have no marketable skills and depend on resources that are limited and rapidly running out. Unfortunately this might take a bit too long.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

frank lee bent wrote:The children of the rich are generally completely incompetent.
Unlikely successors imho.
I don't think competency has been a pre-requisite so far.

Why change it now, LOL?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I thought it would be interesting to see how perceptions have changed, given the fact that the commune elections are over and the general election is coming up. Inflation has worsened, teachers' salaries have decreasedvin many cases, (khmer teachers salaries have improved, but are still very low), infrastructure has omproved, but traffic, health and public education still needs much improvement. I'm upbeat, crime is still not a major issue, electricity supply is way more reliable, the middle class is expanding rapidly (like me, alas), as foreigners we are largely welcomed or left alone, Khmers are very open, friendly people. Whaddya think?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic