AI and machine learning - in any form

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: AI and machine learning - in any form

Post by orichá »

The Economist writes...

Great way to pay less to low grade employees at IQair in Phnom Penh...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I am a writer and poet . . .

. . . I have never visited any AI helper website ... And I never will.

Art comes from the human mind and the greatness of all the arts depends on learning, experience and above all, the synthetic and expressive quality of one's individual imagination . . . .

That is all.
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

So where do you think AI comes from?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:25 pm So where do you think AI comes from?
Good point.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Moot point.

AI does not provide you with anything real. It is a search tool dressed up as "mind"... So far...

Later, maybe a lot of fakes can get away with publishing artificial novels and poems.

... But I know that real human imagination works independently of writing tools. Use of AI to write a story or novel is merely inauthentic at best, and easy to see through...

If you don't understand the ideal and function of original imagination, then you don't understand art.

I suggest you start off -- back in the last century with with Walter Benjamin's, "Art in the age of mechanical reproduction.".

This will help ground your perspective in reality...
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

orichá wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:51 pm Moot point.

AI does not provide you with anything real. It is a search tool dressed up as "mind"... So far...

Later, maybe a lot of fakes can get away with publishing artificial novels and poems.

... But I know that real human imagination works independently of writing tools. Use of AI to write a story or novel is merely inauthentic at best, and easy to see through...

If you don't understand the ideal and function of original imagination, then you don't understand art.

I suggest you start off -- back in the last century with with Walter Benjamin's, "Art in the age of mechanical reproduction.".

This will help ground your perspective in reality...
Nah, you're the type of person who would refuse to use a pencil to write, because it's supposed to be done with a twig or some shit.

AI is art, it's a tool, it's an amazing creation by the collective human mind.

Creating with AI is a process, your ignorance makes you think it's as easy as 1-2-3, but in reality it takes time and dedication, just as the type of activities that you have decided are more authentic.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

No, you don't understand art. That is all.

Sorry, you are talking tautology to excuse mediocrity and cheating, exactly like the The Economist...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bears repeating:

Main problem with AI is it is just a database lookup and retrieval device with no real intelligence or emotional reactions. Feed it skewed data, or ask it to give you skewed results and you get skewed results. People can misuse it to get information, data, fake photos, decisions, etc. to support what they want and then claim that use of AI proves they are correct.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

You guys are discussing what is essentially the copy and paste function of early computers.

Completely missing the bigger picture.

Somebody creates something that can create anything and you know the haters going to go "that's not creating".

Fortunately the future will happen with or without you
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by NitNoi »

My son (or AI) created this in seconds to go with his dessert contribution to a California BBQ. I was impressed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic