AI and machine learning - in any form

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
violet
Expatriate

Re: AI and machine learning - in any form

Post by violet »

Zoom has changed its terms, effective 7 August 2023
10.4 Customer License Grant. You agree to grant and hereby grant Zoom a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license and all other rights required or necessary to redistribute, publish, import, access, use, store, transmit, review, disclose, preserve, extract, modify, reproduce, share, use, display, copy, distribute, translate, transcribe, create derivative works, and process Customer Content and to perform all acts with respect to the Customer Content: (i) as may be necessary for Zoom to provide the Services to you, including to support the Services; (ii) for the purpose of product and service development, marketing, analytics, quality assurance, machine learning, artificial intelligence, training, testing, improvement of the Services, Software, or Zoom’s other products, services, and software, or any combination thereof; and (iii) for any other purpose relating to any use or other act permitted in accordance with Section 10.3. If you have any Proprietary Rights in or to Service Generated Data or Aggregated Anonymous Data, you hereby grant Zoom a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license and all other rights required or necessary to enable Zoom to exercise its rights pertaining to Service Generated Data and Aggregated Anonymous Data, as the case may be, in accordance with this Agreement.
Notwithstanding the above, Zoom will not use audio, video or chat Customer Content to train our artificial intelligence models without your consent.
Underline is mine
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

So they can do pretty much anything they wish with the data/info you send while using?!

I didn't read it all, was a bit too much for me
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I don't even know what zoom is, another Skype??
sumfin smart
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:49 am I don't even know what zoom is, another Skype??
Similar but different. Used for online meetings/conference calls, training, education, business
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

DeparRudeAnts wrote:I don't even know what zoom is, another Skype??
Corporate level Skype. Competes with WebEX for workplace video conferencing.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

violet wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:42 am Zoom has changed its terms, effective 7 August 2023
10.4 Customer License Grant. You agree to grant and hereby grant Zoom a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license and all other rights required or necessary to redistribute, publish, import, access, use, store, transmit, review, disclose, preserve, extract, modify, reproduce, share, use, display, copy, distribute, translate, transcribe, create derivative works, and process Customer Content and to perform all acts with respect to the Customer Content: (i) as may be necessary for Zoom to provide the Services to you, including to support the Services; (ii) for the purpose of product and service development, marketing, analytics, quality assurance, machine learning, artificial intelligence, training, testing, improvement of the Services, Software, or Zoom’s other products, services, and software, or any combination thereof; and (iii) for any other purpose relating to any use or other act permitted in accordance with Section 10.3. If you have any Proprietary Rights in or to Service Generated Data or Aggregated Anonymous Data, you hereby grant Zoom a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license and all other rights required or necessary to enable Zoom to exercise its rights pertaining to Service Generated Data and Aggregated Anonymous Data, as the case may be, in accordance with this Agreement.
Notwithstanding the above, Zoom will not use audio, video or chat Customer Content to train our artificial intelligence models without your consent.
Underline is mine
Zoom is stating that by using their services, the user is granting Zoom a license to use, store, and process their data for various purposes. These purposes include providing the services to the user, improving and developing their products and services, and for marketing and analytics. However, Zoom also states that they will not use audio, video or chat content from the user to train their artificial intelligence models without the user’s consent. This means that while Zoom may use some of the user’s data for their own purposes, they will not use certain types of data without permission.

Going to even simpler explanations this covers collecting data on things you use on zoom. It does NOT permit Zoom to use your transmitted content (audio video etc) in any way unless you allow it. So read stuff and make sure relevant tick boxes are ticked or left blank accordingly or else you might unwittingly have given them permission to use your transmitted content!
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:57 am
DeparRudeAnts wrote:I don't even know what zoom is, another Skype??
Corporate level Skype. Competes with WebEX for workplace video conferencing.
I don't think this will be published but webex server went EOS in July 2020
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:04 am
violet wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:42 am Zoom has changed its terms, effective 7 August 2023
Underline is mine
Zoom is stating that by using their services, the user is granting Zoom a license to use, store, and process their data for various purposes. These purposes include providing the services to the user, improving and developing their products and services, and for marketing and analytics. However, Zoom also states that they will not use audio, video or chat content from the user to train their artificial intelligence models without the user’s consent. This means that while Zoom may use some of the user’s data for their own purposes, they will not use certain types of data without permission.

Going to even simpler explanations this covers collecting data on things you use on zoom. It does NOT permit Zoom to use your transmitted content (audio video etc) in any way unless you allow it. So read stuff and make sure relevant tick boxes are ticked or left blank accordingly or else you might unwittingly have given them permission to use your transmitted content!
The way I read it it can use all your stuff. It owns all your stuff generated while using its service unless you don’t agree. We will have to see if you can select that option to not give consent or if you have an all or nothing choice.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Notwithstanding ??? did this catch you out there?
means -- in spite of, although

This very last sentence means that while they have said they can use all your data they SPECIFICALLY say that they will NOT use your transmitted audio, video, or text chat WITHOUT your consent... this means.. as i said above.. there will be an option or checkbox somewhere stating that you allow this.. Hence my last comment about reading popup boxes that may contain a checkbox and the app settings for an on/off setting that gives them permission to do it.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 am Notwithstanding ??? did this catch you out there?
means -- in spite of, although

This very last sentence means that while they have said they can use all your data they SPECIFICALLY say that they will NOT use your transmitted audio, video, or text chat WITHOUT your consent... this means.. as i said above.. there will be an option or checkbox somewhere stating that you allow this.. Hence my last comment about reading popup boxes that may contain a checkbox and the app settings for an on/off setting that gives them permission to do it.
I understand but I think it is possible to make that claim and then give the potential user an all or nothing consent option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic