PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

21st, April, 2023

“Please don’t play this game if you are a Cambodian.”

Prime Minister HE yesterday called for a ban on water guns after water spraying damaged an eye of a foreign woman during last week’s Khmer New Year festivities in Siem Reap province.

Mr HE said, “I saw on social media that one foreigner was injured by water guns during the Khmer New Year. Don’t play this game,” adding that, “they were not used until a few years back.”

Sambo Manara, a history professor at Royal University of Phnom Penh, said yesterday that playing with water guns is not a Khmer tradition, and if this practice continues it will impact the traditional culture and Khmer wisdom.

He added, “A few youths harassed the lady with a water gun but their behaviour has brought shame to all Cambodians. People like to have fun but nobody likes harassment.”

Manara said that water games during Khmer New Year are different now than before. Previous generations also used to play with water but it was throwing water at each other for blessings after the monk ceremony in a pagoda on New Year’s Day.

Manara added that the citizens should play other Khmer traditional games to promote Cambodian culture during Khmer New Year.

“If the youth do not take up the traditional games it will disappear from our culture,” he said.. “Sadly, Cambodian youth are losing interest in traditional games.”

Echoing the Prime Minister’s words, Manara appealed, “Please don’t play this game if you are a Cambodian.”

“I hope there will be no water guns in the next Khmer New Year celebrations. Protecting Khmer traditional games during the new year can promote and pass down our culture to the next generation,” he added.

Cambodians celebrated this year’s Khmer New Year from April 13 to 16, and the festivities across the country saw over six million people, including foreigners and tourists, taking part in it.

Ahead of the New Year, the Prime Minister urged the citizens to avoid painting powder and splashing water on each other’s face, another game which has become very popular during Khmer New Year in recent years.

Some of the traditional Khmer games include Bos Ang Kunh, Chol Chhoung, Chab Kon Khleng, Sdech Chong, and tug of war, which are played ahead of the Khmer New Year.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501276692/ ... uring-kny/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Post by hanno »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:54 pm
Some of the traditional Khmer games include Bos Ang Kunh, Chol Chhoung, Chab Kon Khleng, Sdech Chong, and tug of war, which are played ahead of the Khmer New Year.
They should check how many people have gotten injured, or even died, playing tug-of-war. Pretty dangerous entertainment.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Seriously now? From pictures and videos I've seen, people had lots of fun playing these water battles. Sure, it's not without dangers, but compared with let's say drunk driving, very little actual damage seems to be getting done.

And same as with Songkran here in Thailand, if you don't like it, just stay at home for those few days of mayhem.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:35 pm Seriously now? From pictures and videos I've seen, people had lots of fun playing these water battles. Sure, it's not without dangers, but compared with let's say drunk driving, very little actual damage seems to be getting done.

And same as with Songkran here in Thailand, if you don't like it, just stay at home for those few days of mayhem.
I went to Wat Phnom on two days. Great fun and mostly harmless. Yess, there were a few cnuts, but they were the exception.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Leave it up to a foreigner to get hurt and ruin all the fun for everyone else.

The whole time I was walking around enjoying the festivities, I was thinking to myself, why are westerners such squares? A party like this could never be allowed to happen in my country.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:56 pm Leave it up to a foreigner to get hurt and ruin all the fun for everyone else.

The whole time I was walking around enjoying the festivities, I was thinking to myself, why are westerners such squares? A party like this could never be allowed to happen in my country.
I was in Phnom Penh on Sunday evening. I was amazed by the amount of water used (spilled?) for play given there's a large water shortage in the city.

I didn't like everyone coming to the riverside / Wat Phnom by car or motorcycle, choking the area. A pedestrian zone like during the water festival would be much nicer.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:07 pm
I was in Phnom Penh on Sunday evening. I was amazed by the amount of water used (spilled?) for play given there's a large water shortage in the city.

I didn't like everyone coming to the riverside / Wat Phnom by car or motorcycle, choking the area. A pedestrian zone like during the water festival would be much nicer.
Yeah, the amount of water being wasted during a shortage was something I was thinking about too.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

But they're happy to allow water wastage at the hundreds of car-washes over town.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:01 pm But they're happy to allow water wastage at the hundreds of car-washes over town.
I recall a government message saying car washes should make drastic changes right now
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

Nanny state pussies go home

IMHO

"check how many people have gotten injured, or even died, playing tug-of-war. Pretty dangerous entertainment." I may note sarcasm from Hanno....?

"Iwas amazed by the amount of water used (spilled?) for play given there's a large water shortage in the city."

Yeah, the amount of water being wasted during a shortage was something I was thinking about too.

"A party like this could never be allowed to happen in my country."
Kudos to Ryan

...and to the nannies...go home with your nanny virus....

It's fun as shit. Did you see the endless fun all the kids had?

Sorry but not sorry....long live water guns and fun for kids and prayers for the rains to come...and traditional games of course....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic