PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: PM seeks ban on water gun games during KNY after foreign tourist injured

Post by Doc67 »

Well, it's that time of the year and the water and the talc are going to be flying around again.

I seem to remember Wat Phnom being a hotspot, and also a few streets around Riverside - street 5/136, I think.

As we have a new young HE, perhaps he will allow it - his father was not impressed with it at all.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am Well, it's that time of the year and the water and the talc are going to be flying around again.

I seem to remember Wat Phnom being a hotspot, and also a few streets around Riverside - street 5/136, I think.

As we have a new young HE, perhaps he will allow it - his father was not impressed with it at all.
All sorts of water play and flour throwing were banned a couple of weeks back. Not sure if they will allow it at Wat Phnom.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:18 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am Well, it's that time of the year and the water and the talc are going to be flying around again.

All sorts of water play and flour throwing were banned a couple of weeks back. Not sure if they will allow it at Wat Phnom.
I really must try to keep up...

Source?
(Don't say NKOTB's missus' Facebook! :D )
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:24 am
hanno wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:18 am

I really must try to keep up...

Source?
(Don't say NKOTB's missus' Facebook! :D )

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501458508/ ... e_vignette

We also received an official notice from the municipality.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well so much for that "ban" on water pistols etc. I was in the central city this evening and it was as wild as I've ever seen it. All good fun but I'm glad I was in a car.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Anyone in a tuktuk was getting a soaking last night in the central area. St 13 was blocked with sodden revellers from St 110 southwards. No Grabs available. Walking around I did not get very wet if I avoided the big party areas. Many bars closed. Many young punks racing around and zigzagging on motos. That's the dangerous part.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I got a car from Larry's - one of my better decisions.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

11am Sunday at the cafe at Wat Phnom playground. Lots of waterguns, talc and watertight phone bags for sale. Police seem oblivious to any restrictions on their use lol.

My kids are waiting for the arrival of the water truck and we'll probably come back tomorrow or Tuesday with their waterguns if it's all business as usual per soaking everyone 😁
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:20 am 11am Sunday at the cafe at Wat Phnom playground. Lots of waterguns, talc and watertight phone bags for sale. Police seem oblivious to any restrictions on their use lol.

My kids are waiting for the arrival of the water truck and we'll probably come back tomorrow or Tuesday with their waterguns if it's all business as usual per soaking everyone 😁
So water splashing is banned in Phnom Penh, but there will be a water truck, that's how serious they are with the ban. :beer:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Alex wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:29 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:20 am 11am Sunday at the cafe at Wat Phnom playground. Lots of waterguns, talc and watertight phone bags for sale. Police seem oblivious to any restrictions on their use lol.

So water splashing is banned in Phnom Penh, but there will be a water truck, that's how serious they are with the ban. :beer:
To be fair, having water guns and water trucks in a designated and cordoned off area where people can have a great time getting soaking wet while not putting passing motorists in danger is where the government should be moving towards. Initially it would require a pretty big effort by law enforcement officers to warn offenders and then confiscate the hosepipes, water guns etc. and issue fines but the message will eventually get through I think.

Depends on how serious they are about putting an end to the roadside soakings of road users and the accompanying accidents that they cause.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic