Children’s cat-killing contest axed following backlash in New Zealand

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Children’s cat-killing contest axed following backlash in New Zealand

Post by hanno »

Whoever thought that was a good idea:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/20/worl ... index.html
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Children’s cat-killing contest axed following backlash in New Zealand

Post by Random Dude »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:05 pm Whoever thought that was a good idea:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/20/worl ... index.html
They probably looked at the annual Easter Bunny hunt (also in NZ) which is generally pretty well accepted, and thought they'd be able to do the same with feral cats.

The difference is nobody lets their pet rabbit out to roam the hills, and if they did it'd be pretty obvious it's not a wild rabbit. You can't say the same for cats.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

”Encouraging kids to hunt down and kill animals is a sure-fire way to raise adults who solve problems with violence … We need to foster empathy and compassion in kids, not lead them to believe animals are ‘less than’ humans while rewarding them for brutality.”
What a load of bollox. No empathy or compassion for native animals, just soppy "cute kitten" garbage.
In neighboring Australia, authorities say feral cats threaten the survival of more than 100 native species. Feral cats are blamed for killing millions of birds, reptiles, frogs and mammals, every day, prompting authorities to arrange regular culls.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:40 pm
”Encouraging kids to hunt down and kill animals is a sure-fire way to raise adults who solve problems with violence … We need to foster empathy and compassion in kids, not lead them to believe animals are ‘less than’ humans while rewarding them for brutality.”
What a load of bollox. No empathy or compassion for native animals, just soppy "cute kitten" garbage.
In neighboring Australia, authorities say feral cats threaten the survival of more than 100 native species. Feral cats are blamed for killing millions of birds, reptiles, frogs and mammals, every day, prompting authorities to arrange regular culls.
That came from the animal rights group, PETA. Every time you see them on TV protesting about something or other they're hyperbolic, emotive, and stunningly ignorant.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

No one ever mentions that dogs also kill wildlife. In Australia they kill native snakes and attack koala.

Actions like those in NZ perpetuate hatred of a species. That leads to an emotional coldness where some people think it’s absolutely fine to have cats abused rather than humanely killed.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

violet wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:54 pm No one ever mentions that dogs also kill wildlife. In Australia they kill native snakes and attack koala.

Actions like those in NZ perpetuate hatred of a species. That leads to an emotional coldness where some people think it’s absolutely fine to have cats abused rather than humanely killed.
Wild dogs aren't really an issue in NZ. Pet dogs can be an issue in places where ground-nesting native birds are breeding, but owners are expected to keep their pets under control in those areas. People who let their dogs roam at night can be a problem because they attack farm stock, but when they start doing that they either get shot by a farmer, or the dog's owners are told very bluntly to keep their dog under control.

I personally haven't seen any evidence of pest control perpetuating hatred of a species, or an emotional coldness. In NZ goats, pigs, deer, possums, rabbits, ducks, geese, and carp are all regularly culled by hunters and feral cats have been fair game for anyone hunting rabbits or ducks for probably decades now - everyone knows the damage they're doing to the native bird life.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:45 am
violet wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:54 pm No one ever mentions that dogs also kill wildlife. In Australia they kill native snakes and attack koala.

Wild dogs aren't really an issue in NZ. Pet dogs can be an issue in places where ground-nesting native birds are breeding, but owners are expected to keep their pets under control in those areas. People who let their dogs roam at night can be a problem because they attack farm stock, but when they start doing that they either get shot by a farmer, or the dog's owners are told very bluntly to keep their dog under control.

I personally haven't seen any evidence of pest control perpetuating hatred of a species, or an emotional coldness. In NZ goats, pigs, deer, possums, rabbits, ducks, geese, and carp are all regularly culled by hunters and feral cats have been fair game for anyone hunting rabbits or ducks for probably decades now - everyone knows the damage they're doing to the native bird life.
I’m ok with humane killing of an animal such as feral cats.

I’m in Australia - I have read many comments on social media that spew hatred about cats as a species - any cat.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Most pet issues arise from an ignorant pet owner base. I don’t see how encouraging animal control through children killing them as a competition does anything to educate about responsible pet ownership and control. I do see how it might very easily be abused and misused, and thus endorse animal cruelty.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

violet wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:49 am
Random Dude wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:45 am

I’m ok with humane killing of an animal such as feral cats.

I’m in Australia - I have read many comments on social media that spew hatred about cats as a species - any cat.
Some people hate cats in NZ too, people are constantly complaining about neighborhood cats coming into their backyard and shitting/pissing, fighting, fornicating, killing chooks etc.
Every town probably has at least one nutter who everyone suspects is poisoning, or capturing and torturing the neighbour's cats, most people are sane though, they understand they're some kid's pet and just put the garden hose on cats they see in their back yard.

And this has always been the case, I don't think a cat-killing competition is going to do much to change that.

And for the record, I have no problem with people shooting feral cats when they see them, but I don't think this contest was a great idea. Not necessarily a horrible idea either though if done properly.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:06 am Most pet issues arise from an ignorant pet owner base. I don’t see how encouraging animal control through children killing them as a competition does anything to educate about responsible pet ownership and control. I do see how it might very easily be abused and misused, and thus endorse animal cruelty.
You're not wrong, but I don't think the competition was advocating killing people's pets, it was targeting feral cats which are living wild and breeding among themselves.

The problem is it's sometimes hard to distinguish a feral cat from a roaming pet cat and there would almost certainly be some pets getting shot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic