Scammed (kind of)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Scammed (kind of)

Post by Cooldude »

How did the bank get your phone number in the States?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:11 am This isn’t some western country where things are so easily checked. Supposedly all the documents provided the bank were very good fakes. Possibly produced by a fake 2 star general. Enough to convince the bank into giving a loan. Banks don’t routinely go to the village chief or commune to verify information on thousands of loans they issue.

As to some member here of accusing me of being callous - what would you suggest?

That I just pay off this scammers’ loan as some kind of noble gesture to satisfy bruised egos?

And yes, this will all be cleared up once the bank visits the village chief and is told to blow smoke and then realizes all the papers were fakes.

This just a cautionary tale of how easy scams are run in Cambodia. Sometimes the scams benefit foreigners, such as a magical required piece of paper produced by an agency for a visa extension, sometimes for more nefarious reasons.

Just my opinions, of course.
I don’t suggest you pay anything. Callous referred to the tone of dismissal of it now being someone else’s problem. Perhaps you could have informed the bank that you are aware incorrect address details were given and that the person at that address is not involved (if that is what you think), thereby at least attempting to save someone else from distress that occurred as a result of one of your relatives.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

schlarry wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:42 am
violet wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:45 am They aren’t desperate for the money from a loan to buy a motorbike. They are simply collecting what they are owed. Quite rightly.

You seem to have zero care for the person at the address the scumbag did give.

Callous arrogance.
1. Assuming that the call was, in fact, from the genuine banking institution.

2. I have no beef with you, but if a third party gives your address without my knowledge, are we supposed to take up your cause? We'd be broke within days.

3. Not callous at all, and not ignorant. The fake addressee will easily refute the claim, and it will be dismissed. Not his war at all. The bank obviously didn't do a physical check, blame the bank and the defaulter.
My comment related to the dismissive attitude I got from the OP about an innocent person potentially being impacted by the actions of a relative. An expression of sympathy toward the individual would have meant I didn’t comment on callousness. The OP then asked what I expected him to do (pay off a loan - which is a ludicrous jump in logic). If anything, informing the bank of incorrect details would be good. But really, just showing some sympathy would be enough for me.

The OP wrote as though he thought it really was the bank calling him - he wrote as though the scam was his relative NOT that someone was pretending to be the bank. I responded as such.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"This isn’t some western country where things are so easily checked. "

Again BS: NO bank would give a loan without the land paper in exchange.
seriously, sometimes i wonder with the things you write , how old you are
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

There are many holes in this story.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:45 am Missus got a call from Cambodia this morning.

From the bank. Said they are owed money for a motorbike and will be coming to take the collateral - the family house.

Apparently one of the niece’s previous boyfriends got a bank loan for a motorbike claiming that that missus’ family house was his house - sent photos of him in front of the house to ‘prove it’, and provided multiple fake credential to back it up. Including an affidavit or co sign from his ‘auntie’ working in Phnom Penh as a nurse (aka missus), along with phone number and other things to make it see legit.
I have heard of similar stories many times and have no problem believing that this is what you have been told.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

We personally know of an old couple who have been duped twice by their own worthless son, and have lost a lot- land and savings, by bailing him out, so there’s no surprises, here.

In NKOTB’s typical way, he’s posted something that can very easily be misconstrued. Especially by a reader that is predisposed to expecting rubbish in the content, which includes me. Maybe PKRichard can also take a lesson from this, as well? It absolutely does matter how you write something, as interpreting what is written should straight forward, and if people get the wrong end of the stick, it’s as likely the message led to that.

The word Bank has been used, but no name. Khmer tend to use terms incorrectly, or extremely casually. eg. The word for a Car (Lan) is also used to describe pretty much any vehicle from an actual car to a heavy truck. I don’t expect it to be any different in this case.

The message from Cambodia has made it from Khmer into NK-wife’s English, and then into NK’s English comprehension, and then into NK’s jumbled creative writing.

The person who took out the loan is not a relative, but a relative’s former boyfriend. And clearly (from the story) no longer on the scene.
NK’s wife’s name, or her naïveté has been used by this person to achieve his goal- funds from a ‘bank’.
As to her number being known- if she’s naively allowed herself to get dragged into a questionable bank transaction, or her name fraudulently used, it’s likely that her contact details have been freely given.

Maybe NK can revisit the initial tale, and clarify some of the points that are so easily misinterpreted?
Last edited by Freightdog on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:45 am "This isn’t some western country where things are so easily checked. "

Again BS: NO bank would give a loan without the land paper in exchange.
seriously, sometimes i wonder with the things you write , how old you are
@newkidontheblock

When JB gives PR a reputation point for calling BS on your story (or anything actually), you really ought to consider just how far you have strayed off the reservation with this one.

"Just my opinion of course"

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I often give PR thumbs ups.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Relative’s former boyfriend…. Thanks for the correction. I read his post once only and clearly got it wrong. Apologies for my posts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic