Overstay advice

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Foolishbarang
Tourist
Ireland

Overstay advice

Post by Foolishbarang »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on an overstay issue. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

I have a 50 day overstay and have the money to pay the fine. I was in a moto accident and put my back out and was bedridden for 3 weeks. I plan to head to Vietnam after paying the fee but really want to be able to return to Cambodia after that trip.

My two questions are,
1. What's the best course of action to get the overstay paid?
2. Do you foresee any problems with me returning to Cambodia after say 2 weeks in Vietnam?

I speak enough Khmer to be able to explain the reason for overstaying and to be able to apologize if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Overstay advice

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Go to the Department of Immigration Visa Office in Pochentong, explain situation and apologise, pay overstay fine of $10 per day, purchase Exit Visa for additional $30, leave within 7 days. As long as you voluntarily present yourself to the DoI and pay your overstay fine in full, then you won't be blacklisted.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eUQ7StPG6k8MU34w5
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Foolishbarang wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:37 pm I have a 50 day overstay and have the money to pay the fine. I was in a moto accident and put my back out and was bedridden for 3 weeks. I plan to head to Vietnam after paying the fee but really want to be able to return to Cambodia after that trip.
I hope you're feeling better.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Foolishbarang
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Foolishbarang »

Thanks for the advice. I'll head to immigration department asap.
Feeling better now, ribs a bit sore but otherwise ok. I'll post an update once it's been dealt with.
Foolishbarang
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Foolishbarang »

Hi guys,

Just an update. Went to Immigration, actually found them quite helpful. I made the mistake of going on the day of my flight but once I proved my flight was that evening they expressed it for me.
I did have to 'help' the immigration officer as he was 'helping' me so it cost me an extra 20 bucks but that was ok. It did help that I spoke a little Khmer they seemed amused by it. They were a lot less helpful to the multiple Chinese that were there.

Thanks again for solid advice.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Foolishbarang wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:33 am Hi guys,

Just an update. Went to Immigration, actually found them quite helpful. I made the mistake of going on the day of my flight but once I proved my flight was that evening they expressed it for me.
I did have to 'help' the immigration officer as he was 'helping' me so it cost me an extra 20 bucks but that was ok. It did help that I spoke a little Khmer they seemed amused by it. They were a lot less helpful to the multiple Chinese that were there.

Thanks again for solid advice.
Good to hear you got a "happy ending" from the DOI. :mrgreen:

I have this belief that most Cambodian officials are not difficult people, and there is usually some way to communicate. :la_rose:
Spoiler:
It's good to know that an extra 20 will see you through to the other side in case of need.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Happy endings don't always happen in a massage parlor
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Foolishbarang wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:37 pm Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on an overstay issue. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

I have a 50 day overstay and have the money to pay the fine. I was in a moto accident and put my back out and was bedridden for 3 weeks. I plan to head to Vietnam after paying the fee but really want to be able to return to Cambodia after that trip.

My two questions are,
1. What's the best course of action to get the overstay paid?
2. Do you foresee any problems with me returning to Cambodia after say 2 weeks in Vietnam?

I speak enough Khmer to be able to explain the reason for overstaying and to be able to apologize if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
With a bit of luck and the hospital paperwork as well as a nice Khmer written formal letter stamped by a lawyer (100$) you might be able to skip most of the overstay payment.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

That was my first thought, because there was a proof able reason, why you were not able to leave the country
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

ressl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:53 am That was my first thought, because there was a proof able reason, why you were not able to leave the country
I'd suggest that bedridden for 3 weeks isn't a great excuse for 50 days of overstay.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic