The landlord kept reducing the tenancy bill but still refuses me to read their meter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
gentlesandah
Tourist
Myanmar

The landlord kept reducing the tenancy bill but still refuses me to read their meter

Post by gentlesandah »

Some of you may have read this post uploaded by me a while ago. This was the original bill sent out to me:
After some complaining they said they made a mistake and revised the bill:
My friends and I still thought I was being cheated but they maintained they were right. I asked my family to send me money during the holidays to help me with the fees. Naturally, they thought this was a very ridiculous way of cheating. I relayed my message to the manager who asked:
After some arguing, they verbally promised to reduce the bill by a further 60USD but still never gave me access to the meter. I think this is where the meter is:
My colleague who also lived there and has similar power usage patterns got this bill:
I already paid 300USD to them:

I think EDC needs to intervene, read the meter for me and also check if the meter is not made to rotate fast. If anyone knows how to invite an EDC guy for a tip at the weekend, help me.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The landlord kept reducing the tenancy bill but still refuses me to read their meter

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

So many questions...

I have never lived in an apartment that I didn't have access to the meter.

Why are you living in this particular apartment? Did your "employer" tell you to live here?

Why don't you find a new apartment? I would of cut my loses and found a new place the moment they refused to show me the meter.

This sounds like a very dodgy situation you are in, I wish you the best of luck.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The landlord kept reducing the tenancy bill but still refuses me to read their meter

Post by Spigzy »

Looks like you’re paying your mate’s bill! I wouldn’t put it past Khmer electrician skills to hook up all the AC to one box- the one you’ve got, and nobody else on your floor/block is paying aircon! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

From $280 to $201 and now a further $60 off? Isn't that telling you all you need to know? Khmers do not give 50% discounts to get a matter settled if they believe they are owed the full amount. Never. Ever.

Just leave the place and find somewhere else. The fact they won't show you the meter is as close to an admission as you will get*.

Even if they show you the meter, it doesn't mean the reading correctly measures your usage. They could have switched off whatever they were running that is hooked to your meter. Even if you see the meter, with everything in your apartment switched off and unplugged, and the meter is still running, they will just stand there and look gormless and talk among themselves. *They will never admit it is their fault (only the police can extract admissions of wrongdoing here).

Move.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I do admire their professionally made (up) invoices though. Very clean and easy to read.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Should always check the meter the day you move in. Otherwise how do you know what the start is?!

If they refuse to show you this it's not a good sign
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

They also overcharge your friend who should pay around 20$ if the bill was payed directly to EDC.
The 10$ water bill is a joke, you probably use 1 to 3$ per month.
As said above : move, or they will continue to cheat you month after month...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My Landlord/lady lets me read the meter and I record the amounts for water and electricity and then write it all and sort of create my own invoice for each month. I then ABA transfer the money and send her a photo of the invoice. I will do this at some point during the first week of the month and usually this will be the first weekend of the month. I also pay the people where I park my moto with ABA transfer as this keep a digital record of the transactions as well.

Sounds like you're on a very steep learning curve but there's definitely something fishy going on with your meters since they wont allow you to access them. Just move out and move on. Learn the Khmer writing for "Home for rent/lease" and have a ride around an area you want to live in. Taking a local friend with you to help if the landlord doesn't speak English will help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic