Ring my bell (if you dare)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ring my bell (if you dare)

Post by Chuck Borris »

My first thought if somebody rings my bell is: where is my gun....

Charges filed in shooting of Kansas City teen who rang wrong doorbell

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ka ... -rcna80033
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Ring my bell (if you dare)

Post by Random Dude »

Here's another one....

Some people were driving and turned into a driveway, realized it was the wrong one, and were trying to turn around when the homeowner started shooting....

https://apnews.com/article/fatal-shoot ... osition_08
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:27 pm Here's another one....

Some people were driving and turned into a driveway, realized it was the wrong one, and were trying to turn around when the homeowner started shooting....

https://apnews.com/article/fatal-shoot ... osition_08
F... up society.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

And another one....

Man arrested in shooting of two Texas cheerleaders after one mistakenly got into the wrong car

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna80366
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

So, not so disco anymore ?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Don't accidentally get in the wrong car either:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65330696
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

The US was always destined to have a problem with gun control from the moment the constitution was written which gave everyone the right to bear arms. This is the problem with constitutions and why many countries, such as my own, don't have one. Once something like that is written in stone, it is seen as a God-given right that no successive governments have the right to interfere with, and as such is near-on impossible to change.

Attitudes and mindsets about almost everything change over time. Who'd have thought just ten years ago that people would be devoting so much time discussing the definition of a woman in 2023? Nothing but the very basics of human rights should be written down in stone, and even then, you have to ask if even that needs to be written down and made so permanent. If someone is going to take your human rights anyway, they aren't going to let a silly constitution get in their way.

Most countries such as mine do have a form of constitution, but its based on precedents, meaning that a judge interprets a law and so long as everyone is happy that it has been interpreted correctly, it becomes the standard by which all future cases are handled. However, the fact it's not written down in stone means it can always be re-examined and changed later, as attitudes and society changes. Seems like a much more sensible way to go about things if you ask me.

I don't think the Americans will ever give up their 'right' to be judge, jury and executioner, only to and ask questions later. If I'm not mistaken, the original intention of allowing Americans to bear arms was so that they can protect themselves from rogue governments. Again, probably understandable in the days that the constitution was created, but along with attitudes and society itself changing, so does weaponry. Good luck with your little 2mm pistol in the face of the largest nuclear weaponry the world has every known.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:24 pm The US was always destined to have a problem with gun control from the moment the constitution was written which gave everyone the right to bear arms. This is the problem with constitutions and why many countries, such as my own, don't have one. Once something like that is written in stone, it is seen as a God-given right that no successive governments have the right to interfere with, and as such is near-on impossible to change.

Attitudes and mindsets about almost everything change over time. Who'd have thought just ten years ago that people would be devoting so much time discussing the definition of a woman in 2023? Nothing but the very basics of human rights should be written down in stone, and even then, you have to ask if even that needs to be written down and made so permanent. If someone is going to take your human rights anyway, they aren't going to let a silly constitution get in their way.

Most countries such as mine do have a form of constitution, but its based on precedents, meaning that a judge interprets a law and so long as everyone is happy that it has been interpreted correctly, it becomes the standard by which all future cases are handled. However, the fact it's not written down in stone means it can always be re-examined and changed later, as attitudes and society changes. Seems like a much more sensible way to go about things if you ask me.

I don't think the Americans will ever give up their 'right' to be judge, jury and executioner, only to and ask questions later. If I'm not mistaken, the original intention of allowing Americans to bear arms was so that they can protect themselves from rogue governments. Again, probably understandable in the days that the constitution was created, but along with attitudes and society itself changing, so does weaponry. Good luck with your little 2mm pistol in the face of the largest nuclear weaponry the world has every known.
I don't know much about it but I thought there was something about a 'well-regulated militia' in that constitution too, and that the original intent was something about being able to defend against the English if they tried throwing their weight around in the 'colonies'... the well-regulated militia part seems to have been conveniently ignored, and I don't see King Charles looking to make any moves on the US.

If you ask me it's not much different from Christmas. The original meaning and intent were changed and commercialized years ago and now it's basically just a money-making scheme for big business.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Yet another aspect that the constitution fails at.

It doesn’t expressly state that complementary statements need to be adhered to as a whole, allowing selective interpretation, and at varying times absolutely fundamentalist adherence, or casual guidance.
It also doesn’t allow for degradation of the ‘native’ language.

Who would have thought the forefathers so lacking in foresight and forethought?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:27 pm Who would have thought the forefathers so lacking in foresight and forethought?

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic