Ring my bell (if you dare)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Ring my bell (if you dare)

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:Which western countries do all these carjackings and home invasions happen in? Not saying they don't happen but they are quite rare in most civilized nations. 8-)
911 requests in the last 5 minutes.

Crimes in the last 6 days.

Which civilized nation do you live in where there is no crime?

I want to live there.

Watching the daily news is frightening.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

scott61 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:16 am
Yerg wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:43 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:48 pm Lots of criminals are released in western countries on their own recognizance to commit more crimes. Criminals are first to get illegal weapons and the first to react to anything with violence.

Lots of carjackings happen in western countries. Criminals jump into an unlocked car. If there is someone in the car, they’ve already determined to take that person’s life in order to get the car. Same with home invasions. Criminals have already determined to take your life to get what they want.
It takes less than a second to kill.

Police train constantly to determine in less than a split second whether or not a cheerleader is a criminal bent on killing or not. Even with all training, police are still being killed.

Once there was a heavily tattooed man banging at a door at 3 am, thinking it was his house. Homeowner opened, man barged in, flashing his eyelids, tattooed with the words ‘Kill ‘‘em All’. Homeowner was in fear of his life and shot him.

Maybe the criminal thought he was a Girl Scout selling cookies at 3 am. Maybe he is just a poor victim.

A long time ago, the motto was police always get there man. Now media glamorizes criminals, showing ever more inventive ways to commit crimes. Police are depicted as the enemy of the noble criminals.

Get rid of the criminals, make society safer. When only responsible gun owners are left, violence levels drop.

My opinions, of course.
I’ve rarely read a more contrite pile of BS in my life. Despite them being, of course, your opinions. And the beauty of opinions, like arseholes, we all have.

Show us how crime is glamorized please? Show us how the police are “depicted” as the enemies of “noble criminals” please? By definition, are the police not de facto the enemies of criminal enterprise or have I missed something?

And define for me a “responsible gun owner” please. Because at times, this kind of reads like an oxymoron.

And “heavily tattooed” meaning what? People with tattoos are criminals? Or just those “heavily tattooed”?

Your “opinions” often come across as pompous. And I have no dog in the gun control fight. I care fuck all for it. But please, if you’re making claims. Back them up with evidence rather than opinions. It would be just as bad as me saying my “opinion” is that you’re a dick. But if I had evidence to back that up…. Q.E.D.

...but, tattooed people ARE more likely to be criminals and here is the evidence:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5213001189

Results suggest that having tattoos is considered as a symptom of a set of developmental risk factors and personality traits that are both related to tattooing and being involved in crime... (though they don't necessarily predict crime over a lifetime.)

They aren't called tramp stamps for nothing. If you think this is a stereotype, you are correct but stereotypes are not just rationalizations of prejudice or inaccurate value judgements:

More evidence:

https://spsp.org/news-center/character- ... ffects-all

Stereotype accuracy is one of the largest and most replicable effects in all of social psychology. Richard et al (2003) found that fewer than 5% of all effects in social psychology exceeded r’s of .50. In contrast, nearly all consensual stereotype accuracy correlations and about half of all personal stereotype accuracy correlations exceed .50.
Assuming that your tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I have tattoos on roughly 1/3 of my body. None visible because I like having a job of purportedly noble intentions. I didn’t click the link because I tire of the tired cliches about tattoos.

I find interesting that stereotyping is so virulent.

It’s a bit like stereotyping people by their opinions, wouldn’t you say? Just my opinion, naturally.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:03 am
John Bingham wrote:Which western countries do all these carjackings and home invasions happen in? Not saying they don't happen but they are quite rare in most civilized nations. 8-)
911 requests in the last 5 minutes.

Crimes in the last 6 days.

Which civilized nation do you live in where there is no crime?

I want to live there.

Watching the daily news is frightening.
NKOTB quoting crime numbers is not the question JB asked. How many times 911 was called is not what was asked. You’re picking numbers to fit your argument and they are flawed. 20 police and 44 Fire. So less than 50% of 911 calls were for police. You’re using numbers that completely undermine your own argument you Wally.

Home invasions. Gun crimes etc. If you’re playing this card be specific. Because in the UK yesterday there were 37k calls to 999. How many were Police? How many were Ambulance? How many were Fire? How many car jackings? How many home invasions? We don’t know. So if we don’t. I’m pretty sure you don’t. Granted, your fire depts are also your ambulance. But if it was for crimes, the fucking police would be called too. Jesus titty fucking Christ.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:12 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:40 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:37 am
Random Dude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:48 am
I understand the rationale behind stand-your-ground laws, but from what I've seen (disclaimer: I haven't been following the story) the guy said he was scared because the kid was tall, or something like that when the boy did nothing threatening, the old man just opened the door and shot him in the head because he didn't like the look of him.

If the old man was found not guilty because he said he was intimidated by him, wouldn't that open the door to anyone being able to shoot someone they don't like and claiming they felt intimidated by the way they look?

"That dude looked like a scary mofo, he had a pissed off look on his face so I shot him".... translation : I saw a black/white/muslim/ethnic guy walking down the street and I hate those people, so I shot him. The law says I can, I just need to say I felt threatened.
My general understanding of the Castle Doctrine is that it specifically refers to someone entering your home without your consent. I think stand your ground may apply to street confrontations more generally.

No, you can't just snipe at people who are walking down the street. (My understanding of the laws.)
"No, you can't just snipe at people who are walking down the street. (My understanding of the laws."

Yeah, I understand that, I was thinking more of future legal precedent.

The Castle Doctrine... He's facing serious legal charges, he has to try something and that's probably his only bet. It still seems to me like a dangerous legal precedent to set if he gets off on that defense though.

'No he wasn't kicking in my door or anything, I just didn't like the look of him'.

Delivery guys, meter readers, salespeople, neighbors knocking on your door to complain about your loud music, tradesman there to quote a job ... better be damn sure you know who lives in that house and what their prejudices are, who about they paranoid about - you might get legally shot in the face.
I see your point.

On the other hand, the reversal of the Castle Doctrine would effectively mean that the criminally prone can break into a citizen's home and the citizen cannot defend themselves.
People should always be allowed to defend themselves, especially if someone comes into their home, but being allowed to shoot someone just because they walked up to your front door is just ridiculous.

Where I grew up, you're allowed to use any reasonable force to defend yourself. If you kill someone I suppose you then need to explain to the court how that was reasonable force - if they were trying to kill or maim you then it's a no brainer, if you caught a thief trying to steal your mountain bike and you shot him while he was running away after being caught in the act - that'd be excessive. The system probably isn't perfect but it seems to work pretty well.

I just saw this in news feed....

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/cou ... s/3019269/

Couple Delivering Instacart Groceries Says Car Was Shot at After They Drove to Wrong Address

"(A detective) asked if we wanted to prosecute and we agreed to do that, but he said since they didn't break any laws or do anything unlawful, they couldn't do anything because we were on their property,” D’arville said.

That sort of thing - along with the other, similar examples - are why the law has obviously gone to a crazy extreme. What sort of a paranoid nutjob do you need to be to think shooting at someone in your driveway, or ringing your doorbell, is a sane way to deal with the situation? What sort of legal system would say it's ok to shoot at people if they're on your property for a lawful, legitimate reason?
violet
Expatriate

Keep the noise down, mate

Post by violet »

Keep the noise down. We’re trying to sleep in here!

Man shoots neighbouring family, including 8 year old, after he was asked to stop firing his rifle in his back yard because they were trying to sleep.
Texas.

This world is wrecked.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/202 ... 765852002/
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
aguaporfavor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by aguaporfavor »

Thread locked after exposing the upcoming latest and greatest false flag by Uncle Sam.

Sweet.
Nothing to see here people, keep moving along.

I'll take the W on that one.

:beer3:
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

aguaporfavor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:14 am Thread locked after exposing the upcoming latest and greatest false flag by Uncle Sam.

Sweet.
Nothing to see here people, keep moving along.

I'll take the W on that one.

:beer3:
You’re claiming this is a bullshit story? Onya, mate. Deadset credit to humanity and the forum. Have a nice day.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

^^...and when they do happen, the offender's seem to usually be non-Western. It is prevelant here because it seems the Sinville imports are mainly crims.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

[/quote]

...but, tattooed people ARE more likely to be criminals and here is the evidence:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5213001189

Results suggest that having tattoos is considered as a symptom of a set of developmental risk factors and personality traits that are both related to tattooing and being involved in crime... (though they don't necessarily predict crime over a lifetime.)

They aren't called tramp stamps for nothing. If you think this is a stereotype, you are correct but stereotypes are not just rationalizations of prejudice or inaccurate value judgements:

[/quote]

Don't agree.
That study used 411 subjects from the Delinquents Department.
It reads criminals are more likely to be tattooed, not tattoo-adorned are more likely to be criminals.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Keep the noise down, mate

Post by Random Dude »

violet wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:55 am
This world is wrecked.
Some parts at least are definitely munted, and apparently determined to regress even further.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic