Ring my bell (if you dare)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Ring my bell (if you dare)

Post by Freightdog »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:36 pm Every American ex pat Ive ever met is a freak.
For me, it’s a slightly better balance. The rational, clear thinking kind appear to be represented in greater numbers, proportionally, in the KoW
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:36 pm Every American ex pat Ive ever met is a freak.

I must say, the most intelligent people i"ve ever met were Americans, but also most dumbest ones.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

My experience has been different. Anyway it's not American expats who are being discussed here, to the best of my knowledge no US immigrants have shot anyone dead in Cambodia ever.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Another one.

6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/6-year-ol ... lina-yard/
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Wasn't the second amendment designed to protect citizens from their own government? If so, it's a good one. Downside; mass shootings, and many times more single shots. The right to bare arms; downside sunburn. Swings and roundabouts.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

AMEN, BROTHER!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 am Another one.

6-year-old girl, parents shot after basketball rolls into man’s North Carolina yard

https://nypost.com/2023/04/19/6-year-ol ... lina-yard/
Absolutely incredible!!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Back to the original case. Missouri is a stand your ground state. The Castle Doctrine will be likely used in the old man's defense.

https://www.ncsl.org/civil-and-criminal ... our-ground

His grandson calling him racist.

Thanks, kid!
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:07 am Back to the original case. Missouri is a stand your ground state. The Castle Doctrine will be likely used in the old man's defense.

His grandson calling him racist.

Thanks, kid!
I understand the rationale behind stand-your-ground laws, but from what I've seen (disclaimer: I haven't been following the story) the guy said he was scared because the kid was tall, or something like that when the boy did nothing threatening, the old man just opened the door and shot him in the head because he didn't like the look of him.

If the old man was found not guilty because he said he was intimidated by him, wouldn't that open the door to anyone being able to shoot someone they don't like and claiming they felt intimidated by the way they look?

"That dude looked like a scary mofo, he had a pissed off look on his face so I shot him".... translation : I saw a black/white/muslim/ethnic guy walking down the street and I hate those people, so I shot him. The law says I can, I just need to say I felt threatened.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:48 am
I understand the rationale behind stand-your-ground laws, but from what I've seen (disclaimer: I haven't been following the story) the guy said he was scared because the kid was tall, or something like that when the boy did nothing threatening, the old man just opened the door and shot him in the head because he didn't like the look of him.

If the old man was found not guilty because he said he was intimidated by him, wouldn't that open the door to anyone being able to shoot someone they don't like and claiming they felt intimidated by the way they look?

"That dude looked like a scary mofo, he had a pissed off look on his face so I shot him".... translation : I saw a black/white/muslim/ethnic guy walking down the street and I hate those people, so I shot him. The law says I can, I just need to say I felt threatened.
My general understanding of the Castle Doctrine is that it specifically refers to someone entering your home without your consent. I think stand your ground may apply to street confrontations more generally.

No, you can't just snipe at people who are walking down the street. (My understanding of the laws.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic