Met Museum Kicked Me Out for Praying to my Ancestors

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Met Museum Kicked Me Out for Praying to my Ancestors

Post by John Bingham »

khmerovitch wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:48 am
In the cities, a lot. The downtown areas of all the major cities are overwhelmingly devoted towards them. The only place I lived that didn't feel like this was Siem Reap.

The downtown areas of every city are used for commerce by locals and dominated by ethnic Chinese. Where are all these cities with downtown areas "overwhelmingly devoted towards (sexpats)"? Battambang? Kampong Cham? :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 am
khmerovitch wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:48 am
In the cities, a lot. The downtown areas of all the major cities are overwhelmingly devoted towards them. The only place I lived that didn't feel like this was Siem Reap.

The downtown areas of every city are used for commerce by locals and dominated by ethnic Chinese. Where are all these cities with downtown areas "overwhelmingly devoted towards (sexpats)"? Battambang? Kampong Cham? :facepalm:
I'm talking about downtown PP, downtown Kampot, downtown Sihanoukville. Battambang and Kampong Cham seem to attract more retirees. Sorry but I'm not in that demographic. I also don't speak Khmer and neither do a lot of the returnees who share my grievances.

For someone to make a joke about not being welcome anywhere, when that is the unfortunate reality of how most returnees feel, is pretty despicable and says a lot about that person. Most of us don't feel like we have a home while many expats have so easily found a second one.

If you want to deny an aspect of the culture that's very palpable because it makes you feel some type of way about yourself that results in such aggressive defensiveness, then by all means go ahead. But I myself know that I am not alone in feeling like this no matter how much you try to insist I am.

The original post was made by someone who in other communities is a self-professed, insane shit-stirrer, with a history of making a ridiculous number of fake accounts and even interacting w himself like the psycho he is. But I'll leave him to it, for now.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

khmerovitch wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:30 am
I'm talking about downtown PP, downtown Kampot, downtown Sihanoukville.
So Monivong and Sihanouk Boulevards (downtown areas) are dominated by sexpats? Do they run all the banks, sports shops and stationers? Kampot has a few hostess bars in the old town, hardly "dominating" anything. Very few westerners live in Sihanoukville so I doubt they are dominating anything either. So "all the major cities" means what exactly?
I also don't speak Khmer and neither do a lot of the returnees who share my grievances.
Well not knowing the language is your onus, no wonder you feel you don't fit in. And how do all these returnees feel about the massive KTVs around the outskirts of every town or city? Do they even know what they are? Are they those tattooed ex-con type returnees? The only place they fit in is in a prison cell, and that's their own doing. Have you suggested Vietnam to them?
Most of us don't feel like we have a home while many expats have so easily found a second one.
I've lived abroad all my adult life. Living in another country is not for everyone, maybe you should go somewhere else if you don't like it here? Nobody is forcing you to stay, and you have become so bitter you are now resorting to slurring the country and blaming all your problems on other races and genders.
If you want to deny an aspect of the culture that's very palpable because it makes you feel some type of way about yourself that results in such aggressive defensiveness, then by all means go ahead. But I myself know that I am not alone in feeling like this no matter how much you try to insist I am.
I'm not denying an aspect of the culture, there has always been prostitution in Cambodia, however like every other country it is dominated by locals, not "sexpats" ( who are more likely sex-tourists, as in they don't live here). To try and contend that this tiny proportion of foreigners have "dominated the downtown areas" is just ridiculous. Making up stuff so you can blame all your ills on others is not the way forward. Disagreeing with someone is not "aggressive defensiveness" either, I'd argue the same if you tried to tell us that the downtown areas were dominated by basket weaving hippies or any other nonsense too.
dangermousetherapy
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by dangermousetherapy »

I've lived in Cambodia on and off for 7 years. I love the country, the locals are the friendliest people I've met pretty much anywhere in the world. There is a certain vibe here that I really miss when visiting Thailand or Vietnam, even though those countries have a lot more going on in many ways. I've always felt very at home and welcome in the Kingdom of Wonder.

But have to agree that the sexpats are a problem, or the general attitude of a lot of Westerners here anyway. There are a LOT of bitter people who who resent living here, complain all the time, and have serious mental and substance abuse problems. They are resentful towards any foreigners who are not living in the same state of degeneracy, and they also treat the Khmer people with enourmous disrespect. I find these types everywhere, drinking and smoking themselves to death, bitching the whole time about their self-created dramas and just making the rest of us Westerners look bad. It's my only problem with living in Cambodia. Honestly, it is a testament to the kindness and tolerance of the Khmer people that they put up with these idiots. Of course the bitter sexpats will jump in and say the Khmer only care about money, but if you are a mental and physical trainwreck, paying young women to date you, then of course you would have met people who care about your money, you don't have anything else to offer. In fact the money is compensation for your utter repugnance.

We have a great life here. It's hot all year round, everything is cheap, there are hardly any rules, the people are so lovely. It's a paradise for me, but a lot of people here have figured out how to make it their personal hell.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Another "I only hang out with degenerates and therefore everyone else is a scumbag" post. There aren't any foreigners in my neighborhood and I don't care. Meanwhile in Daun Penh people are losing their shit.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic