Met Museum Kicked Me Out for Praying to my Ancestors

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Met Museum Kicked Me Out for Praying to my Ancestors

Post by khmerovitch »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:07 pm
khmerovitch wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:59 pm Cambodia has basically become a colony for sexpats who would mostly otherwise be incels.
That's what happens when you spend all your time on 172, you start imagining the rest of the country is like that. It isn't. 8)
I don't. I lived on 172 street for less than one month over 2 years ago. I don't even live in Phnom Penh and haven't for some time. But all the cities are pretty much like that. It's specious to imply that isn't the overwhelming vibe here. Sexpats and other undesirables who make you feel like your "homeland" is more theirs than yours.

I know plenty of other Cambodians who feel the same way, so.. People have a right to feel and express how they want to without being told it's wrong by someone who has no idea.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I lived on 172 street for less than one month over 2 years ago.
That's BS and you know it. It's a very strange take, and makes me wonder what sort of places you hang out because I'm not seeing it. It's probably just more drug-fueled paranoia like the way you believe every second person is a CIA agent. Get professional help.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

khmerovitch wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:59 pm
Darkcel wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:53 pm The Met threw her out for being a nutter, who the hell dances around statues?
She's out of touch with her own culture and believes she's keeping it together solely by herself and a "select few" I doubt she's even came back here since the 90s.
Why would she? It's not exactly a welcome homecoming. Cambodia has basically become a colony for sexpats who would mostly otherwise be incels. This place isn't for us anymore and hasn't been for a long time.
Something tells me you aren't welcome anywhere in the world Jenny, just can't put my finger on it...
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:08 pm
I lived on 172 street for less than one month over 2 years ago.
That's BS and you know it. It's a very strange take, and makes me wonder what sort of places you hang out because I'm not seeing it. It's probably just more drug-fueled paranoia like the way you believe every second person is a CIA agent. Get professional help.
What? Why would I lie about that?

Humans naturally gravitate towards water. Even still, I've never lived in Riverside area more than a few weeks. I may have drank there often but I have always lived somewhere else. The places I hang out? Home?

Who have I (me and not fake accounts of weirdo stalkers) accused of being a "CIA agent"?

I don't understand the aggression here at all. What the hell? I thought we were friends and I suspect you might be being influenced by someone who isn't what you or most people would think they are.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Where is the aggression? I'm just calling you out for the nonsense "Cambodia has basically become a colony for sexpats". There are maybe 150,000 foreigners living here, which makes less than 1% of the population. So sexpats wouldn't be more than 0.1%. That doesn't seem like a very effective colonization.
The only reason I can see why someone would believe the colony stuff is because they spend too much of their time surrounded by degenerates in a red light area.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:55 pm Where is the aggression? I'm just calling you out for the nonsense "Cambodia has basically become a colony for sexpats". There are maybe 150,000 foreigners living here, which makes less than 1% of the population. So sexpats wouldn't be more than 0.1%. That doesn't seem like a very effective colonization.
The only reason I can see why someone would believe the colony stuff is because they spend too much of their time surrounded by degenerates in a red light area.
There's a lot I could say but tbh I think this post was meant to sow discord. I've already privately messaged an admin and if you knew what I knew you'd look at this board a lot differently.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well I barely know anyone on here in real life but I don't believe that sexpats have colonized the country either way.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:53 pm The Met threw her out for being a nutter, who the hell dances around statues?
Anybody religious is nuts
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

khmerovitch wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm
khmerovitch wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:59 pm Cambodia has basically become a colony for sexpats who would mostly otherwise be incels.
That's what happens when you spend all your time on 172, you start imagining the rest of the country is like that. It isn't. 8)
I don't. I lived on 172 street for less than one month over 2 years ago. I don't even live in Phnom Penh and haven't for some time. But all the cities are pretty much like that. It's specious to imply that isn't the overwhelming vibe here. Sexpats and other undesirables who make you feel like your "homeland" is more theirs than yours.

I know plenty of other Cambodians who feel the same way, so.. People have a right to feel and express how they want to without being told it's wrong by someone who has no idea.
Sure, you're entitled to your feelings. But when you express them on a public forum, don't be surprised to be called out if - like in this case - your feelings seem to be at odds with reality in like 99.9% of the country.

How many sexpats do you estimate there are? And how many of them are Chinese?
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:09 am
khmerovitch wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:17 pm

Sure, you're entitled to your feelings. But when you express them on a public forum, don't be surprised to be called out if - like in this case - your feelings seem to be at odds with reality in like 99.9% of the country.

How many sexpats do you estimate there are? And how many of them are Chinese?
In the cities, a lot. The downtown areas of all the major cities are overwhelmingly devoted towards them. The only place I lived that didn't feel like this was Siem Reap.

Apart from that there just doesn't seem to be much going on here compared to neighboring countries. It feels quite vapid and I haven't found that there are many intellectual types that would prefer to stay here. I've met a handful of Khmer returnees from France, Canada, USA, etc. who shared similar feelings but they at least had family here they could actually return to.

It's a mystery to me why most people here wouldn't rather stay in Vietnam. I think many people stay here because of kids or family and end up resenting it. You can tell a lot about a culture by how women are regarded and treated. I've met many expat women who have felt and experienced similar and they even asked me why I stay here. I didn't have a good answer. I plan to go to Vietnam as soon as it's feasible.

People not from Cambodia, especially women, who like it here and stay here long term are definitely in the minority and if you do I'm not sure why you would feel the need to vehemently defend that? If it's so great than why bother ferociously insisting it is? It shouldn't matter to you that most people don't find it tolerable/livable.

I gave it 3 years and had planned to make Cambodia my lifelong "home" because of some delusional notions informed by trauma. Tbh when I leave I never want to come back. If your experience was different, I'm so happy for you. I've literally never heard someone's experience of a place and felt the need to be like "WELL THAT'S NOT HOW IT WAS FOR ME!!" Bizarre.

If Cambodia is so amazing for all of you *checks notes* White Western expat men, then even though that totally negates what I said before, I don't know why you'd feel the need to defend that it's normal that a female returnee w deep ties to the country would have such negative experiences because she's allegedly some drug addict, delusional, whatever bs has been propagated abt me. No idea at all what that could possibly be about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic