Phnom Penh sub 3$ meals

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
ppjp
Tourist
United States of America

Phnom Penh sub 3$ meals

Post by ppjp »

Can't believe I'm writing this in my lifetime... sub $3 meals.

Tripadvisor has many (pre-covid) places serving $3 western safe meals with rave reviews. Meals as in a tasty main course in hygiene/bacteria/parasites safe place that's got you filled till the next meal for ~$3

Few tripadvisor reviews since. Many places closed, changed owners, changed chefs, changed menu prices, etc.

Been checking some of them out, and tripadvisor seems to have become mostly miss. Nothing like pre-covid reviews.

What are today's $3 western safe meals places around Phnom Penh?
Please specify the type of cuisine such as khmer, fusion, asian, western, ...
Will try to bundle them in this OP.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Phnom Penh sub 3$ meals

Post by hanno »

ppjp wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:18 pm Can't believe I'm writing this in my lifetime... sub $3 meals.

Tripadvisor has many (pre-covid) places serving $3 western safe meals with rave reviews. Meals as in a tasty main course in hygiene/bacteria/parasites safe place that's got you filled till the next meal for ~$3

Few tripadvisor reviews since. Many places closed, changed owners, changed chefs, changed menu prices, etc.

Been checking some of them out, and tripadvisor seems to have become mostly miss. Nothing like pre-covid reviews.

Since I arrived 4 months ago, I have been eating out pretty much every day. I have yet to come across a 3-Dollar meal but then admittedly, I do not go near hostels or other backpacker hangouts.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:29 pm
ppjp wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:18 pm Can't believe I'm writing this in my lifetime... sub $3 meals.

Since I arrived 4 months ago, I have been eating out pretty much every day. I have yet to come across a 3-Dollar meal but then admittedly, I do not go near hostels or other backpacker hangouts.
Onederz on 110 has a cheap menu, surprisingly so. I haven't eaten there but I did see some food served once and it looked terrible.

As for "hygiene/bacteria/parasites safe", good luck with that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Theres a place on the corner of 13 an either 130 or 144 near kandal market
rice and meats and soup choices all under $3

In fact if you walk down 13 from the palace to 110 you'll find lots of cheap eats
some on the street , others inside
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I think finding dishes cheaper than $3 that are also foodsafe will be challenging.

Even here in the province there's been lots of creep on menu prices over the past year or two due to global inflation

I order around six meals a week and usually pay $4-8 per meal delivered

The only two items that are close to $3 and could be considered a meal by themselves would be beef or pork fried noodles or a plain dal with a few chapati

You should check Sinan Restaurant on 172. Home-cooked and always cheap prices. Nice people too
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Choices in that price range are limited. For breakfast these are common and popular with locals:

Stir fried noodles
Rice with grilled pork
Noodle soup
Bread with 'pate'

These you can find in the local restaurants or street vendors.

There are also local food markets, for instance in front of O' Russei market, where you can buy cheap food from the local vendors. Some have some tables you can sit at. But most are take away only.

The raving reviews you've seen are because of the price I guess, not so much the quality.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I have family members operating a roadside stall with a couple of tables, between Larry's and Onederz. From 6 pm till 5 or 6 in the morning. Always have lots of customers and many backpacker s from Onederz. Very reasonably priced meals. You may even recognise the lady, Saphea as she worked in Larry's for about 4 years.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

There's a place on street 63 one block north of the junction with 184 that does a lunch set with some choices, you can get something like a chicken dish and a vegetable dish with rice and iced tea for $2.50. Comfortable enough, friendly service.

The Vietnamese place next door usually has a sign outside offering pho, pork or chicken with rice and similar for $3. I think it used to be inside Aeon Mall. Also comfortable.

Neither are anything fantastic but at that price I'm not picky.

Farther south on 63 nearer street 322 there's a fast food style Chinese shop advertising chicken and rice etc. for $2.50.

All of these places look like tidy, modern operations, for what it's worth. Fans, aircon, wifi etc.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If you are interested in eating local stuff that isn’t weird, then budget places that we eat at frequently include around Phnom Penh. Out in the province, it gets cheaper.

Street 136, opposite what was Route136, evening eats. Chicken, rice, noodles. $2~2.50
Along the street where we live, for lunch. Bor Bor, noodles. r5000. Also several breakfast shops serving similar on many street corners.
On riverside, a lot of small vendors with barbecue setups, grilled veg like Okre and mushrooms. Each works out at r1500.
Evenings and late nights. Spicy noodle vendors, of which there are many. A bowl of those is enough for pretty much a day. $2.50ish

I’ve never had a problem with street vendors in many countries, while I have had bad food poisoning and other upsets eating in hotels and restaurants. Unless special dietary limitations are a concern, there’s plenty of scope for eating well without it costing a fortune, and just as safe as the next place.

Home cooking, there’s plenty that can be done pretty cheaply, once you’ve got some basic ingredients and tools together. Even little barbecue grills.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

12258 Oknha Nou Kan Street (St. 105), Phnom Penh. Across from cafe Dalin there's a vietnamese soup/banh minh restaurant, yellow sign small interior with black walls "updated". They make some delicious soups for about 10k riel depending on what you get. The wife, son and I get a bowl of something different each and it comes out to be 7 dollar something with a coke.

Take someone who speaks Khmer or Vietnamese though, unless you like pointing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic