Can you park on the street in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Can you park on the street in Phnom Penh?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Happy new year all!

I'm thinking about moving in to a place in Phnom Penh and I have one of those small cars. We don't have a parking place where we want to rent. Is it possible to park on the street in some parts of Phnom Penh? I doubt anyone would try to break into our car if there's nothing of value in it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Can you park on the street in Phnom Penh?

Post by schlarry »

You can park anywhere you like, including in the middle of the road in peak hour.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

You can park anywhere you like, including in the middle of the road in peak hour.

Not much crime wrt breaking into cars.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

schlarry wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:19 pm You can park anywhere you like, including in the middle of the road in peak hour.
Right, that's true. I guess what I mean is can you park overnight, or longer term, without any consequences from the authorities?

I also have a moto so may not use the car every day. Driving a car in Phnom Penh is not really pleasant.

I guess there are some homeowners that don't want you parking in front of their home, but if it's in a place where other cars are parked, is there any thing preventing you from parking there regularly?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am driving a car in PP for years and i still have no clue where you are allowed to park and where, sometimes i sit at the noodle-house on corner from 130 street and the owner is moving all hiss wheels from one side to other or to an other street, i asked him already but still dont know how it works. A moto i would never leave on the street during night-time, the morning after it will be gone, and there are plenty off paying moto-garages, and cheap. If you park in front of any bussiness, shop, hotel, bar, the place infront is more or less "owed" buy the shop-owner, he will park and ofcourse if you are a customer you can park also, but overnight, depends on the "owner". I had parked my own car in front of my appartement on 144 street during a month in january, had no issue at all but there is 24/7 security there !!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:41 pm I am driving a car in PP for years and i still have no clue where you are allowed to park and where, sometimes i sit at the noodle-house on corner from 130 street and the owner is moving all hiss wheels from one side to other or to an other street, i asked him already but still dont know how it works. A moto i would never leave on the street during night-time, the morning after it will be gone, and there are plenty off paying moto-garages, and cheap. If you park in front of any bussiness, shop, hotel, bar, the place infront is more or less "owed" buy the shop-owner, he will park and ofcourse if you are a customer you can park also, but overnight, depends on the "owner". I had parked my own car in front of my appartement on 144 street during a month in january, had no issue at all but there is 24/7 security there !!
Thanks for your reply! So outside of that one month on Str 144, where do you park your car?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a good reason why most residents keep their cars and motorbikes off the streets by their homes at night and otherwise park only where there are guards. :?:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:48 pm There's a good reason why most residents keep their cars and motorbikes off the streets by their homes at night and otherwise park only where there are guards. :?:
I've never had a car here before, but did have a moto. I did protect my moto, but think it's easier to steal than a car. In the area where we will be staying I kind of doubt there will be any problem with our car. It's not an expensive car.

It's more the issue of towing by the authorities that I'm concerned about.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Depending on the vehicle (I'm sure some iceheads don't mind make or model) they'll just take your side mirrors off and call it a day
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:52 pm Happy new year all!

I'm thinking about moving in to a place in Phnom Penh and I have one of those small cars. We don't have a parking place where we want to rent. Is it possible to park on the street in some parts of Phnom Penh? I doubt anyone would try to break into our car if there's nothing of value in it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Others have implied but besides theft - also collision.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic