Can you park on the street in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Can you park on the street in Phnom Penh?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 pm Depending on the vehicle (I'm sure some iceheads don't mind make or model) they'll just take your side mirrors off and call it a day
Hi, thanks, I appreciate everyone's concern about the potential damage members of the public may cause, but I am primarily interested in the legal aspect of it at this point. I.e. will you run afoul of the authorities and/or have your car towed.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:34 pm
Darkcel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 pm Depending on the vehicle (I'm sure some iceheads don't mind make or model) they'll just take your side mirrors off and call it a day
Hi, thanks, I appreciate everyone's concern about the potential damage members of the public may cause, but I am primarily interested in the legal aspect of it at this point. I.e. will you run afoul of the authorities and/or have your car towed.
Then your question was poorly phrased.

Re: Park your car on the street

Can you...?
yes you can.

Is it wise to ...?
probably not

Will I run afoul of local authorities if you..?
We appear to be waiting for a definitive answer to this but at the moment it appears unlikely

Or approaching the question from another angle
Why don't locals ....?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Unless there's a double line or a time limited parking restriction with a sign, you can park on the street

But, as a rule, you shouldn't. Parts will get stolen etc

Pay 30-50 per month for secure parking instead
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 am Unless there's a double line or a time limited parking restriction with a sign, you can park on the street
A few years ago, I came to PP with my car. I was there for a week and they towed it on the last day. I went to the police station and they wanted something like 600 Dollars. I asked if I had parked illegally. Answer was no, but I had stayed in the same place for too long. Had to call a friend to bring the the asking price down to something manageable.

So, I would conclude that the coppers can certainly mess with you if they are so inclined; regardless of where you park.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 am Unless there's a double line or a time limited parking restriction with a sign, you can park on the street

But, as a rule, you shouldn't. Parts will get stolen etc

Pay 30-50 per month for secure parking instead
Thanks! What do you mean by a double line?

I'm thinking about just a few days and then I'll try to move it to a family member's house that has a place to keep it.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

hanno wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:54 am
A few years ago, I came to PP with my car. I was there for a week and they towed it on the last day. I went to the police station and they wanted something like 600 Dollars. I asked if I had parked illegally. Answer was no, but I had stayed in the same place for too long. Had to call a friend to bring the the asking price down to something manageable.

So, I would conclude that the coppers can certainly mess with you if they are so inclined; regardless of where you park.
Thanks for your answer! Yeah that's pretty much true of everything here.

But it seems the implication is that you should move it regularly in order to decrease the chances of having problems with the police.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:41 pm I am driving a car in PP for years and i still have no clue where you are allowed to park and where, sometimes i sit at the noodle-house on corner from 130 street and the owner is moving all hiss wheels from one side to other or to an other street, i asked him already but still dont know how it works. A moto i would never leave on the street during night-time, the morning after it will be gone, and there are plenty off paying moto-garages, and cheap. If you park in front of any bussiness, shop, hotel, bar, the place infront is more or less "owed" buy the shop-owner, he will park and ofcourse if you are a customer you can park also, but overnight, depends on the "owner". I had parked my own car in front of my appartement on 144 street during a month in january, had no issue at all but there is 24/7 security there !!
Thanks for your reply! So outside of that one month on Str 144, where do you park your car?
Before it used to be a rental car and parked it useally in front of my hotel, this year it was my own car which i drove all the way from my country, but shipped it back already in a container from SIhanoukville docks. There used to be a pretty big car park on 130 just beofre norodom on the lieft side (between 130 and 136), there is a guard and i left a rental car there a couple of nigths (probably in 2018) and it was dirt-cheap !!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:52 pm Happy new year all!

I'm thinking about moving in to a place in Phnom Penh and I have one of those small cars. We don't have a parking place where we want to rent. Is it possible to park on the street in some parts of Phnom Penh? I doubt anyone would try to break into our car if there's nothing of value in it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
What area you renting?
Or are you sure in the parking out first?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

There are plenty of parking lots around - I used to pay $40 per month - they need the car keys as they have to move vehicle around like Jenga but they seem to be pretty careful.

You can also ask hotels that have parking lots that are always empty - some will like that it appears busy if cars are parked there.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

2 or 3 months ago I saw a barang and his Khmer partner with a small child park their car outside of Larry's and a police tow truck was in the process of hitching it up to tow away. The Khmer lady came out to pay the police money but they would not accept it. Larry's staff tried to intervene but still no luck. She ended up on a moto following the police tow truck,,, to where?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic