Should we get rid of mosquitos?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Should we get rid of mosquitos?

Post by grumpygit »

Not sure if this is the right area for this..I couldn't find a health and wellbeing section.

Vid about the possibility of eradication of the 6% of mosquitos that kill 1000,000 people's per year or rather they carry the parasites that kill the people. And the question of ethics regarding wiping out a species .

Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Should we get rid of mosquitos?

Post by Darkcel »

That would affect loads of other animals yeah? I'd imagine mostly birds and bats but still, I'll stick with getting bit a few times a day from a shitty bug.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:02 am That would affect loads of other animals yeah? I'd imagine mostly birds and bats but still, I'll stick with getting bit a few times a day from a shitty bug.
Info is in the vid.. thousands of types of the little bastards..only a few bite humans and carry infections..those few can be targeted.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Then we may as well get rid of the bats too. Apparently they spread covid or something.
And while we're at it, can we get rid of those pesky spiders and snakes.
Oh, and crocodiles, and kangaroos, and ,,,,, dammit, why not just get rid of the lot of them.

Then we can sit back in safety watching mother nature's food chain fall to pieces.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

We should make the mosquitos suck fat instead of blood..They would be very welcome then.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

truffledog wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:37 pm We should make the mosquitos suck fat instead of blood..They would be very welcome then.
Thanks, I just pictured a bunch of oknhas wives sitting in a sauna designed for thousands of mosquitoes to bite them 😂
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Worldwide eradication of mosquitoes in the developing almost happened.

Then the book, ‘Silent Spring’ came out.

And the rest of history.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Strange how so many here wanted to save the world with bs vaxes we should all take. But something as pointless as a few mosquitos is taboo..
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:12 am Strange how so many here wanted to save the world with bs vaxes we should all take. But something as pointless as a few mosquitos is taboo..
You said it yourself in your OP - eradicating species is a question of ethics. Who are we to mess with things we barely understand?

I fucking hate mozzies, especially the ones that spread diseases but mother nature designed a very complex system that, if left alone, works extremely well to keep everything in a perfect balance. We need food sources, and also the scary, bitey things to safeguard against overpopulation. We might not fully understand what function something has but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a vital function.

That being said though, even though I'm generally against messing with nature, if someone did decide to take out the species that spread malaria I wouldn't lose sleep over it, for purely selfish reasons. I can avoid things like tigers and hyenas so they don't bother me, but malaria-spreading mosquitos scare me.

Making a vaccine to fight a pandemic isn't the same thing as eradicating species from an ecosystem and food chain though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic