Why street photography is facing a moment of truth

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Why street photography is facing a moment of truth

Post by vladimir »

Nobody NEEDS a lawyer.

Any moron can download an agreement for services payment/divorce/pre-nup/lease/employment offer/merger/ blah blah blah, in fact almost any situation.

Signed, witnessed (on video), and Bob Mugabe's your uncle.

Get educated.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I think the hysteria surrounding the dubious connection between 'street photography and pedophilia' is of far greater and more significant danger to our rights of freedom of the press, of expression and from undue harassment than street photography is an actual danger children. I also think invoking a word like "Cambodia" and leaving it at nothing but that, presumably to prompt some visceral reaction, serves to highlight the emotional basis for the hysteria.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

But it would take a narcissistic madman not to recognise the very real and present reality.

Don't presume. I stated a fact. Only a retard is not aware of the situation.

It's almost as dangerous as asking an embassy to repatriate a citizen in distress, but that would require same madman to object...oh, wait.

Perhaps an emotional basis is better than a financial reason for support, LOL. ;)

Sorry, samdech aka moha sina padei guru. You know best, you always know best, most intelligent one.

Hey, let me guess, photography a hobby of yours?
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

vladimir wrote:Nobody NEEDS a lawyer.

Any moron can download an agreement for services payment/divorce/pre-nup/lease/employment offer/merger/ blah blah blah, in fact almost any situation.

Signed, witnessed (on video), and Bob Mugabe's your uncle.

Get educated.
Nah, well then. We just can hope that these legally highly trained (mostly criminal) parents of street kids will understand such a complex agreement. You not only need a lawyer in such a case, you need an Advocatus Diaboli :D
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I think most Khmers understand the phrase 'take photo, how much?'

What are your rates?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

vladimir wrote:But it would take a narcissistic madman not to recognise the very real and present reality.

Don't presume. I stated a fact. Only a retard is not aware of the situation.

It's almost as dangerous as asking an embassy to repatriate a citizen in distress, but that would require same madman to object...oh, wait.

Sorry, samdech aka moha sina padei guru. You know best, you always know best, most intelligent one.

Hey, let me guess, photography a hobby of yours?
Are you arguing for me or against me? Hard to tell if that is self aware irony or bad argument. And if that is just bad argument, the appeal to the personal again really only serves to highlight that fact.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

vladimir wrote:What are your rates?
My rates are quite substantial, but you will be able to make the photo, the parents will go into prison and my client will remain unharmed.

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

LTO wrote:Are you arguing for me or against me? I don't know, is this a trick question?Hard to tell if that is self aware irony or bad argument.But,,,but...you can work it out, you're Stephen Hawkings on crack! And if that is just bad argument, the appeal to the personal again really only serves to highlight that fact.
You lost me on the last point.

Can you simplify that and submit it with a recent photo taken on the riverside?

Thanks, Einstein. :thumb: :dm:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:My rates are quite substantial, but you will be able to make the photo, the parents will go into prison and my client will remain unharmed.
Uuh, I was referring to your legal rates, not to your short-time kinky sex rates.

What if the client is into S&M and wants to be harmed?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

In fact, I think there are plenty of good arguments against ‘street photography’ of children, or at least the publication of those photographs, that don’t appeal to exaggerated fears and hysteria, beginning with general concerns about privacy, and in the case of children, their inability to give consent, thus adding an element of exploitation as well. These arguments do of course need to be balanced against concern for our rights and freedoms of press, expression, movement, occupation, etc, but in the case of children the concern over exploitation may tip the scale more to their privacy, but how much I am not sure. I take very few photos of children on the street myself, in part because I am uncomfortable using those photos for the reasons stated above. Though I have made a bit of a practice when I do photograph children to try to capture the idea without revealing their face and/or identity, such as photos with their head turned or from behind, or distorted by focus, movement or obscuring objects.

Not a great example, but handy. Part of something I wrote about Cambodian street beggars in Bangkok.

Another example from Phnom Penh a couple weeks ago. Again, not great, but you get the idea:
LTO Cambodia Blog

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic