bloke with HIV wants to retire in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

bloke with HIV wants to retire in Cambodia

Post by Ozinasia »

Old mate, aged 70 now has been receiving HIV treatment for 10 years in UK to this day he has no idea how he got it and thinks it was from medical procedure he had in Thailand 12 years ago (emergency appendices) he is heterosexual not at all gay.
He has been to Phnom Penh 3 or 4 times and is in love with a lady he has known 8 years now.
His HIV he tells me is now undetectable and he wants to retire here and live with his lady who is in her 50's
however he said he read that foreigners cannot buy the monthly anti virials he has to take daily in fact if a foreigner is found to have HIV their visa is denied.
He asked if I know anyone can check for him
I have no idea and no idea how or who to ask maybe some expat here can advise ?
:hattip:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: bloke with HIV wants to retire in Cambodia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:25 pm Old mate, aged 70 now has been receiving HIV treatment for 10 years in UK to this day he has no idea how he got it and thinks it was from medical procedure he had in Thailand 12 years ago (emergency appendices) he is heterosexual not at all gay.
He has been to Phnom Penh 3 or 4 times and is in love with a lady he has known 8 years now.
His HIV he tells me is now undetectable and he wants to retire here and live with his lady who is in her 50's
however he said he read that foreigners cannot buy the monthly anti virials he has to take daily in fact if a foreigner is found to have HIV their visa is denied.
He asked if I know anyone can check for him
I have no idea and no idea how or who to ask maybe some expat here can advise ?
:hattip:
He can for sure buy his meds here, but unlike locals he would not be entitled to them for free

The ministry of health here prohibits discrimination against hiv/aids folk so think he's fine

I'd also add it's FAR more likely he contracted HIV here from his lady or a previous sexual partner than it is he got it from appendix surgery in Thailand. . .
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Cheers so he can just buy at any pharmacy I guess if this is the case or is there a special clinic that caters to HIV in Phnom Penh he can visit does anyone know ?
He tells me he did a few relationships in Thailand but always used a condom who knows it was a long time back I dont think it matters any more where he got it , it is what is now but he was afraid of being deported if he moves here.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Almost certain he will be denied entry or only give a tourist visa
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

how would they know I dont think it asks on the arrival or quarantine card if one has HIV ?
He has been in and out a number of times already .
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:35 pm how would they know I dont think it asks on the arrival or quarantine card if one has HIV ?
He has been in and out a number of times already .
Sounds like it.

What's he gonna say? He is buying the meds for someone else? He's a collector? Likes the taste?

There is the confidentiality aspect of Hippocratic Oath to hope for however;
• Pharma's prob don't have to take/give/say it, so he would need to go to a doc and get meds...pass;
• even if Pharmacists are bound by the HO, HE would overrule everything, let alone a promise;
• locals narc.

Just try his luck when he gets here, and not give out his real name when purchasing, and look out the cameras - basically take precautions - and if it doesn't work have a holiday until the meds run out.

One other thing. Is the medication solely for HIV? You see where where I am going with that one.

Two other thing. If the meds are available over the counter, in which case there's no testing done, and so long as there's no major ostracization, the missus could get them for her, for him, for free, FFS.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:42 pm Almost certain he will be denied entry or only give a tourist visa
That's a load of bollocks, there is no requirement to declare any disease/illness one has, and there is no policy which denies entry or Visas to people who have HIV.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

In UK he tells me he goes to a clinic every two months has a blood test and gets two months meds he hoped to be able to do same here . The lady friend he tells me knows he is HIV and has been tested negative he says because his viral load is indictable its pretty much impossible to give others but he uses condom anyway. I don't know if the meds would be given to anyone here without a positive blood test ?
Surely the local Smarties would be all over that and selling them on line.
Knowing the guy pretty well, he wouldn't ask her anyway the guy is very, very straight.
If he cannot get tested regularly and buy legally he just wont move here, he was just offered a pretty fair offer on his little flat in London where he leads a very lonely life and he emails me daily out of boredom saying how bad things are in UK and he doesn't even like going to his local pub any more, he would love to retire here hopefully with his lady friend. He and now I have tried to find "the law" or legality of this in print or a HIV clinic here to contact but no luck thus far.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

He should be able to give a list of his required meds to his lady friend and she should be able to go to the pharmacy and see if she can buy them. I really don't see why not.
If there is a problem, someone here will have an answer.
https://www.sihosp.org/copy-of-surgical
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:23 pm In UK he tells me he goes to a clinic every two months has a blood test and gets two months meds he hoped to be able to do same here . The lady friend he tells me knows he is HIV and has been tested negative he says because his viral load is indictable its pretty much impossible to give others but he uses condom anyway. I don't know if the meds would be given to anyone here without a positive blood test ?
Surely the local Smarties would be all over that and selling them on line.
Knowing the guy pretty well, he wouldn't ask her anyway the guy is very, very straight.
If he cannot get tested regularly and buy legally he just wont move here, he was just offered a pretty fair offer on his little flat in London where he leads a very lonely life and he emails me daily out of boredom saying how bad things are in UK and he doesn't even like going to his local pub any more, he would love to retire here hopefully with his lady friend. He and now I have tried to find "the law" or legality of this in print or a HIV clinic here to contact but no luck thus far.
Let him call pharmacy de la Gare. They know their shit and can tell him what he needs to know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic