bloke with HIV wants to retire in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: bloke with HIV wants to retire in Cambodia

Post by Ozinasia »

Good link thanks :hattip:, in reading they appear to treat only Khmer but I've sent an email and will see if they reply
https://www.sihosp.org/copy-of-surgical
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:21 pm Good link thanks :hattip:, in reading they appear to treat only Khmer but I've sent an email and will see if they reply
https://www.sihosp.org/copy-of-surgical
He can and would be better with a private clinic/practitioner anyhow, loads around

All locals get free hiv/aids treatment and care - but that's no barrier to anybody paying their own way using their own doc and a pharmacy. Pharmacie de la garc is good as others have said
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:25 pm to this day he has no idea how he got it and thinks it was from medical procedure he had in Thailand 12 years ago (emergency appendices) he is heterosexual not at all gay.
If I had a $ for every time I've heard this...
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

at the end of the day does it matter ? he surely wont be the first or last to have picked it up in a Thai , PI or Cambo bar if that is the case
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

schlarry wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:18 pm
Ozinasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:25 pm to this day he has no idea how he got it and thinks it was from medical procedure he had in Thailand 12 years ago (emergency appendices) he is heterosexual not at all gay.
Do some people still harbour views that this (HIV) is a gay disease?
Isn’t that akin to leprosy being considered a poor disease? Sadly, even consistent with some of the attitudes expressed in Cambodia the COVID only affected lower and poorer classes.
It’s just as well that ignorance doesn’t have borders.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

he tells me in UK HIV is very, very much considered a gay disease.
We have spoken about this a lot over the years.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Considered by who? His numpty friends at the pub?
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Probably though I doubt he has told them he has it.
He feels very ashamed.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think there used to be a check box on entry forms to Cambodia asking if you had HIV or AIDs. It was a bit like those forms they use to give you entering the US years ago. One of the questions was on the lines of "Were you a member of the Nazi party between 1939-1945 or have you ever been in any way associated with them?" So even if you were a Nazi infected with AIDs you'd still check the no field.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:43 pm
schlarry wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:18 pm
Do some people still harbour views that this (HIV) is a gay disease?
Isn’t that akin to leprosy being considered a poor disease? Sadly, even consistent with some of the attitudes expressed in Cambodia the COVID only affected lower and poorer classes.
It’s just as well that ignorance doesn’t have borders.
Could you kindly show us where my post in any way implied that I thought he was gay? I was referring to the medical procedure claim, which has been used by heterosexual people as well, to discount the possibility that one was infected by normal sexual activity, be it with any gender party. Strange that you assumed.

re: ignorance, try reading carefully, first, LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic