bugger me its hot aircon fail cost to regas an aircon ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

bugger me its hot aircon fail cost to regas an aircon ?

Post by Ozinasia »

I avoid use of aircon but today at the begging of the others in the house I relented and switched it on .... nothing but warm air .
oky so tomorrow off to find someone who will come and regas it pretty sure that is all it needs its only a 1.5 HP anyone have any idea what they should charge abouts ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: bugger me its hot aircon fail cost to regas an aircon ?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:01 pm I avoid use of aircon but today at the begging of the others in the house I relented and switched it on .... nothing but warm air .
oky so tomorrow off to find someone who will come and regas it pretty sure that is all it needs its only a 1.5 HP anyone have any idea what they should charge abouts ?
$20
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

The system in a aircon unit is a sealed unit just like the system in your refrigerator, so what happened to the gas that was already in the ''sealed'' system.

Note,, a couple of days ago I turned on my aircon which is 15 years old and was last used about one year ago. It still runs and throws out cold air, the same as my Fisher & Paykel fridge/freezer which is 21 years old and neither have ever been re-gassed.

Dont try to fix the problem, until you have found cause of the problem.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Needing regassing is a common 'problem/ fix', I get it done annually and can notice an improvement in cooling immediately

With temps in the high 30s and low 40s, I doubt anybody will delay the fix

I paid $10 last time
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Probably just needs a damn good clean.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Thanks ya all ... I will let you know the outcome
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:44 am Probably just needs a damn good clean.
You can definitely eek out another week of passable aircon just by cleaning the dust off the filters (open aircon, black filter slides out - wash in soapy water, etc.)

Same as others, typically $10-20, around this time of year would probably be higher end for KNY, I always throw in a few beers for the boys.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Dirty air filter: A dirty air filter can restrict airflow, which can cause the air conditioner to blow warm air. Check the filter and replace it if it's dirty.
Refrigerant: If your air conditioner is low on refrigerant, it won't be able to cool the air properly.
Reasons why the refrigerant could be low:
  • Over time, the joints, connections, or coils in the refrigerant lines can develop leaks. The leaks can cause the refrigerant to escape from the system, reducing the system's cooling capacity.
  • Evaporator coil issues: The evaporator coil inside the air conditioner can get dirty or damaged, which can cause the refrigerant to leak out of the system. (how old is the unit?)
  • Improper installation: If the air conditioner was not installed correctly, it can result in refrigerant leaks or improper charging of the system. (most likely if the system is not that old)
  • Normal wear and tear: As the air conditioning system ages, the components can wear out, which can lead to refrigerant leaks.
Condenser unit: If the outside unit of your air conditioner is dirty or covered in debris, it can't effectively release heat. Clean the unit and make sure there's nothing blocking it.

As others have suggested $10 to $20 once a year to keep it topped off and for $20 they should clean the heat exchangers in the condenser unit (the outside bit) and the evaporator unit (the inside bit)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

If you are getting plenty of air, youre poss correct in assessment, but I might be stating the obvious with clean your filters and check for algae build up.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

My Carrier aircon is finally dying after many years of great service, and I will buy a replacement unit in a couple of months.

I was thinking of a Panasonic inverter: perhaps you have a better suggestion?

New ($400 max) or second hand with a guarantee, either acceptable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic