Promoting French Language Study in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Promoting French Language Study in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cooperation to Pitch French Language in Cambodia Discussed
AKP Phnom Penh, March 30, 2023 --
Cambodia and France have discussed more cooperation to promote French language study in Cambodia.

H.E. Hang Chuon Naron, Minister of Education, Youth and Sports and Mr. Pierre Vincent, Representative of Embassy of France in Cambodia discussed the matter here in Phnom Penh on Mar. 29.

Senior Officials of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MoEYS) and representatives from the Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) and French-speaking higher-education institutions also joined the meeting.

H.E. Hang Chuon Naron underlined the ministry's effort in learning and teaching French language in Cambodia through French-Khmer curriculum, higher education, and training for French teachers.

The minister thanked development partners, especially the French Embassy for their hard work in supporting the development of Cambodia's education sector, including French study.

Mr. Pierre Vincent expressed his appreciation of the Royal Government of Cambodia for supporting and promoting French in Cambodia.
By Lim Nary
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Promoting French Language Study in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia has sent ‘over 1,200 students’ to France: education minister
Van Socheata | Publication date 20 May 2023 | 16:34 ICT

Cambodia has sent “more than 1,200 students” to study in France in the past three decades, most of whom have returned home to support local development, according to Minister of Education, Youth and Sport Hang Chuon Naron on May 19.

The minister presented this figure at a gathering of members of France Alumni – a social and professional network generally for graduates of French higher education.

The meeting was also attended by agriculture minister Dith Tina and his justice counterpart Koeut Rith – both of whom graduated from French schools – as well as Minister of Women's Affairs Ing Kantha Phavi.

The education ministry has partnered with the French embassy since 2017 to provide scholarships to students who wish to study in France, especially those vying for post-graduate degrees in science and technology, Chuon Naron said.

“Twenty-seven of our students have studied for their doctorates in France; some have graduated and others are still enrolled. Generally speaking, we can claim that our students who graduate from French schools return home and support Cambodia’s development,” he said.

The education minister advised anyone wanting to attend school in France to be determined in their studies and have a strong command of the language.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... n-minister
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mon Dieu, tant de gens étudient cette langue insignifiante.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

In Belgium we have a minority of french-speaking people (the walloons) for about 35% of population, and in the main part of the country, Flanders, its compulsary to learn french, nobody really likes it, but if you get older and are in international business, i was very happy i did learn it, i trade with big part of south europe, and french is more commun then english. In fact, before coming to KOW i lost big part of my english because never used it. If Khmers ask how Belgium is, i always explain them: similar then cambodia, we had war with the french and kicked them out, but +100 years before you. I heard already for several years the youth in KOW learns more french then 10 years ago.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:31 pm In Belgium we have a minority of french-speaking people (the walloons) for about 35% of population, and in the main part of the country, Flanders, its compulsary to learn french, nobody really likes it, but if you get older and are in international business, i was very happy i did learn it, i trade with big part of south europe, and french is more commun then english. In fact, before coming to KOW i lost big part of my english because never used it. If Khmers ask how Belgium is, i always explain them: similar then cambodia, we had war with the french and kicked them out, but +100 years before you. I heard already for several years the youth in KOW learns more french then 10 years ago.
French might be an almost dead language in some parts of the world, but learning French is still useful for any studies where you might also need latin, like medicine, biology, chemistry etc, and also for dealing with french tourists or businesses. That said, Chinese is probably more generally useful as a third language for Cambodians these days.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Fun fact : the biggest city with french as official langage is not Paris but Kinshasa.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Kinshasa, capital from DRC, CONGO, Zaire before, and Belgian colony.
In fact french is the second language in the biggest part of Africa, forget english there . . .
And as was surprised that Kinshasa has about the same population as whole Cambodia,
+16 million. I can imagine how rush hour would be in Kinshasa !!! ??
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Fun fact II: If you ever get invited to dinner at Buckingham Palace the menu will be in French
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Probably Fawlty-towers-french "a la john cleese" ??
Just checked for fun Kinshasa traffic on google-maps, i did not really believed google-maps before driving from Belgium to PP, but on the road i learned they are mostly right, even in India or Pakistan. If you drive now from Kinshasa-airport to Mbudi nature park, its 20 kms and it should take exactly an hour. Eat that Phnom Penh . . .
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Baise la france
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic