Tax inspection

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Tax inspection

Post by Gazzy »

Got a call from my landlady asking for new copies of my passport and visa, photo and thumbprint. Said its for new tax declaration in addition to tax inspectors coming around today to inspect the premises. Is this normal?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Tax inspection

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Property owners have to pay taxes when leasing the property, they have to provide copies of current valid passports and Visas of any foreign tenants to the Sangkat and any Government Department which requests them ie. Department of Immigration. Nothing for you to be concerned about, unless you're here illegally (no valid passport or visa EOS), this is standard practice.

Currently the DoI are cracking down on illegal aliens so are being more thorough with their annual inspections.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Good to know. Thank you.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:49 pm Property owners have to pay taxes when leasing the property, they have to provide copies of current valid passports and Visas of any foreign tenants to the Sangkat and any Government Department which requests them ie. Department of Immigration. Nothing for you to be concerned about, unless you're here illegally (no valid passport or visa EOS), this is standard practice.

Currently the DoI are cracking down on illegal aliens so are being more thorough with their annual inspections.
Last summer I stayed at an apartment that I stayed 2 times before-- The family that rented to me said no need for a rental agreement. I was wondering if that was the reason. I know the family over 8 years because I always stay in that immediate area. I always do 2 months at a time so it's not long periods.
He probably still has copies of my passport from previous stays.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:50 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:49 pm Property owners have to pay taxes when leasing the property, they have to provide copies of current valid passports and Visas of any foreign tenants to the Sangkat and any Government Department which requests them ie. Department of Immigration. Nothing for you to be concerned about, unless you're here illegally (no valid passport or visa EOS), this is standard practice.

Last summer I stayed at an apartment that I stayed 2 times before-- The family that rented to me said no need for a rental agreement. I was wondering if that was the reason. I know the family over 8 years because I always stay in that immediate area. I always do 2 months at a time so it's not long periods.
He probably rents it out without paying taxes.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:34 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:50 pm Last summer I stayed at an apartment that I stayed 2 times before-- The family that rented to me said no need for a rental agreement. I was wondering if that was the reason. I know the family over 8 years because I always stay in that immediate area. I always do 2 months at a time so it's not long periods.
This
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:34 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:50 pm Last summer I stayed at an apartment that I stayed 2 times before-- The family that rented to me said no need for a rental agreement. I was wondering if that was the reason. I know the family over 8 years because I always stay in that immediate area. I always do 2 months at a time so it's not long periods.
This
No issue w/ me. He can do what he wants but was just sharing and now makes more sense.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic