Guy arrested for spray painting the Grand Palace

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Guy arrested for spray painting the Grand Palace

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It might be a while before Thailand embraces its own Banksy.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:26 pm
David Gordon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:36 am I hope the punishment for wilful destruction and defacement of property is severe. So sick of this idiocy. Go live under a bridge if that’s the way you like it.

Agree, why not just behead him? :?

It may well have been stupid, but if every stupid person or action were to be very harshly punished, where would we be?

It's paint, ffs, a bucket of whitewash will fix it in 5 minutes.

What will the cost be of imprisoning this guy?

Fix the cause of the problem, not the symptoms
if they beheaded a person for that act of civil disobedience in the Times Square - where we would be is no one would ever do such a stupid thing again unless they want to die.
Stay classy na
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Singapore used to have a very stiff penalty for putting chewing gum under your bus seat - maybe even chewing gum was illegal. We could say it’s just a piece of gum - but with that law no one did it and really - is it something anyone needs to do?

Some places would cut your hand off for stealing and being a thief - result - you could leave you stuff anywhere and come back later the same day and it’s still there.

It seems harsh but why should society decend to the lowest common denominator when there is a way to stop it? Just say do not cross this line unless you want to get shot.

Parenting is a great example of this. Some parents are pleading with their kids to behave and negotiating but never bring down the hammer and so the kids never learn. Actions should have consequences and justice should be swift.
Stay classy na
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Ugly & weak, but ballsy, unless just simply plain stupid / intoxicated, i don't know.
Anyway, he probably will have some spare time to imagine a way to express his feelings in a better form than a simple anarchy symbol ?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Rules rule. Take drink driving for example in the UK.
Stiff penalties, including, 1 year ban, even 6 months imprisonment. Related traffic accidents have declined around 34% in the past 10 years. Think how much safer the roads would be in Cambodia should these punishments be implemented.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:36 am I hope the punishment for wilful destruction and defacement of property is severe. So sick of this idiocy. Go live under a bridge if that’s the way you like it.
You never saw New York City in 1983... When every single subway car had a super-funky graffiti paint job. The murder rate may have been high back in those days, but that shabby gritty super colorful paint all over the place gave the city an indelible, inimitable character...

Lese majeste laws are just another staid anachronism of a dead and dying world.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

'You never saw New York City in 1983... When every single subway car had a super-funky graffiti paint job. The murder rate may have been high back in those days, but that shabby gritty super colorful paint all over the place gave the city an indelible, inimitable character...'

Every cloud...
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orichá wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:34 pm You never saw New York City in 1983...
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:30 am Rules rule. Take drink driving for example in the UK.
Stiff penalties, including, 1 year ban, even 6 months imprisonment. Related traffic accidents have declined around 34% in the past 10 years. Think how much safer the roads would be in Cambodia should these punishments be implemented.
It will get worse before it gets (hopefully) better.
work is for people who cant find truffles
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

My ideas clash my politics because I want less government but - you don’t accidentally defile something. You don’t accidentally steal something either. You don’t accidentally have a temper tantrum and then trash a business. You don’t even accidentally get drunk. The government should leave me alone and I should be left alone too. So long as I keep up and clean up after myself. If I become a menace I am making life worse for other people who are cleaning up after themselves.

Where I live you can be fined for littering. Result - no more litter.

Just the basics of social responsibility.
Stay classy na
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic