Water Shortages in PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Water Shortages in PP

Post by Doc67 »

Several news items lately showing water delivery in trucks to grateful people in the suburbs.

My water supply has been getting weaker in the last few weeks and now has just stopped. I know someone else with similar problems. Is anyone else having problems?

Power cuts for a few hours are one thing, but having to get water from the street is too much. If this is the shape of things to come in the next 2 or 3 months it is off-to-the-airport time for me.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501262696/ ... shortages/
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501262490/ ... nh-boreys/
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501263294/water-woes/
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Water Shortages in PP

Post by Chuck Borris »

I'm afraid this is just the beginning. Every year less rain, less water, longer periods without water and electricity.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm I'm afraid this is just the beginning. Every year less rain, less water, longer periods without water and electricity.
Beginning of the end. I was warned about impending shortages about a month ago but didn't pay too much attention as it was in a bar. It seems he was right.

I have never had poor water pressure for more than a day or so, and power shortages have not affected me since that horrible year when AM or PM cuts were introduced, I think it was 2018. But no water and absolutely no reliable information when it will be back? That's a deal breaker.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:03 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm I'm afraid this is just the beginning. Every year less rain, less water, longer periods without water and electricity.
Beginning of the end. I was warned about impending shortages about a month ago but didn't pay too much attention as it was in a bar. It seems he was right.

I have never had poor water pressure for more than a day or so, and power shortages have not affected me since that horrible year when AM or PM cuts were introduced, I think it was 2018. But no water and absolutely no reliable information when it will be back? That's a deal breaker.
What area are you based?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

And you forgot to mention, more and more people wanting water.

But dont worry, the Mekong river still has plenty of water in it.

https://www.ppwsa.com.kh/en/index.php?p ... nt-process.

https://www.mrcmekong.org/
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:22 pm

And you forgot to mention, more and more people wanting water.

But dont worry, the Mekong river still has plenty of water in it.

https://www.ppwsa.com.kh/en/index.php?p ... nt-process.

https://www.mrcmekong.org/
Yes, I also forgot to mention "good" planning from city authorities.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:03 pm

What area are you based?
154 & east of Norodom
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Meanwhile, plenty of warning for next Monday's water cuts:

រដ្ឋាករទឹកស្វយ័តក្រុងភ្នំពេញ Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority
Notification on short-term water supply suspension in Sangkat Teuk Thla and Sangkat Takhmao:
1. On Monday night, April 3, 2023, it is planned to install and install an 80 mm clean water meter on Street 110 in Sangkat Teuk Thla, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
2. On Monday night, April 3, 2023, a new 110 mm and 160 mm water distribution pipe is planned to be installed on Street TKM2010, Sangkat Takhmao, Takhmao City, Kandal Province.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Imagine what it would be like if all the condos and apartments built in the last few years were actually fully occupied
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tltr: Suggested solutions for water shortages: provide trucks of clean water, waste less water, dig wells, plan ahead for urban population growth.

March 31, 2023
Emergency meeting deals with water shortage in Phnom Penh suburbs
Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority convened an emergency meeting to find solutions to insufficient water supplies in suburbs of Phnom Penh on Wednesday.

The meeting came on the heels of recent developments that have seen some areas on the outskirts of Phnom Penh city facing severe water shortages.

Long Naro, Director-General of Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority, said yesterday that trucks are now transporting water to residents in affected areas.

“The Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority is using fire trucks to transport clean water,” he said.

Phnom Penh’s Deputy Governor, Nuon Pharath said the Water Supply Authority had taken a number of measures.

He said that the Phnom Penh Capital Administration has intervened quickly to solve the real challenges of water supply to the people.

He added that good results require participation of residents. Everyone should be alert not to waste large quantities of water.

He added: “Participation requires everyone to stop wasting water. Use less water to wash cars, motorcycles, for watering plants and so on.”

Executive Director at the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability (ANSA) Cambodia, San Chey, believes that there are two short-term and long-term solutions to this problem.

In the short term, the immediate solution is the use of water trucks to supply people living in areas experiencing water shortages.

Also, they can learn about the possibility of building better facilities to prevent shortages of clean water.

“In this case, I do not know how much it affects the environment. One thing for sure is that the people can dig wells in the gated community. Obviously in the countryside, they dig wells near their homes to meet the demand for water.”

He added that the long-term water supply strategy requires the Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority to plan ahead with concerned stakeholders the exact volume of water that new developments will need, whether it be for apartment blocks, boreys or homes.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501265251/ ... y-suburbs/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic