I think my electricity charge is too much

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
gentlesandah
Tourist
Myanmar

I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by gentlesandah »

When apartment rent fees for April arrived, I was shocked to find that my electricity fees is $280. My friends pay only $60 for electricity. I think there must be something wrong.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by cautious colin »

How much electric do you use?

aircons running all day?

You are also paying 30c per kwh which is more that most I would guess
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

That's way too high. I have one A/C running for about 8-10 hours per night, 20 degrees, rarely use the oven, average use of small electrical items (laptop, TV etc) for someone whose not home during the day, and pay about $60-70 per month.

Unless you have A/C running 24 hours per day on 16 degree along with an electric oven on most of the time, you're being ripped off.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Is this your first bill?

You're using over 30 KWh per day. Maybe some equipment like a pump is defective and runs 24/7.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

gentlesandah wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:56 am When apartment rent fees for April arrived, I was shocked to find that my electricity fees is $280. My friends pay only $60 for electricity. I think there must be something wrong.
Also, as you live in a condo your rate per kw/h is around 100% higher than standard
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:05 pm Is this your first bill?

You're using over 30 KWh per day. Maybe some equipment like a pump is defective and runs 24/7.
I have a fridge, a separate freezer, wash machine, boiler water pump, electric range and oven, lights and computers and use about 1/3 kwh you do. About 10 per day.

Common scam is to draw electricity through your meter. Unplug and turn off everything and then go away for some days and watch the meter. If you can see it - we had one landlord who had it such we could not check the numbers ourself.

Another ll was powering his own Khmer house and the water pumps from our electricity while charging us 25 cents so making money off us.

Common scam - you are paying 30 cents which is way too high - move to a place that charges market rates.
Stay classy na
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:32 pm
gentlesandah wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:56 am When apartment rent fees for April arrived, I was shocked to find that my electricity fees is $280. My friends pay only $60 for electricity. I think there must be something wrong.
Also, as you live in a condo your rate per kw/h is around 100% higher than standard
It is illegal to re-sell electricity initially supplied by EDC. Check out their FB page and website, contact them, and tell them about your bill.

An EDC bill will state the Kwh rate. Yours doesn't. Suspicious.

Also be aware that in a condo you are also possibly paying a general lighting fee, ie lighting for entrance and hallways, elevator etc.

Compare with your neighbour in the same condo.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

schlarry wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:45 pm
It is illegal to re-sell electricity initially supplied by EDC. Check out their FB page and website, contact them, and tell them about your bill.

Also be aware that in a condo you are also possibly paying a general lighting fee, ie lighting for entrance and hallways, elevator etc.

Whether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

As opposed to 5xx and 6xx riel in a house
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm
schlarry wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:45 pm

Whether illegal or legal most condo electric rates are 25c or more

As opposed to 5xx and 6xx riel in a house
Yep, which also can be justified if they have generators, communal lighting & lifts etc
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I have AC 24/7, bunch of screens and other crap, running at 100-120 per month at .25$.

Seems a bit out of order there if you know that you're not using excessive amounts of electricity.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic