I think my electricity charge is too much

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:26 pm
schlarry wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:34 pm https://policy.asiapacificenergy.org/si ... %20Ed..pdf

Feb 2, 2001 — electricity for consumption and not for delivery or resale to others. CHAPTER II: FRAMEWORK OF THE ELECTRIC POWER SUPPLY AND SERVICES.
That document is a framework for the issuing of licences by the government. It is nothing to do with consumer protection.

The phrase you have pulled out simply defines what a "consumer" is, and it is found at the end of Chapter I.

Chapter 1, Article 2, (d) (i) The protection of the rights of consumers to receive the reliable and adequate
supply of electric power services at reasonable cost,

and at the end of the Chapter it defines what a consumer is:

The consumer in this law shall mean a person or his successor that purchases or receives
electricity for consumption and not for delivery or resale to others.

That does not mean it is prohibited, it just defines a consumer as someone who uses it themselves, as opposed to a wholesale buyer to sell to others, which requires a licence.

My reading of this is there is no intention to prohibit landlords to charge their tenants for individual consumption and at a mutually agreed rate, and nothing here suggests such a prohibition exists.

Uplifts in electricity prices are commonplace and accepted practice. The notion of successfully waving this document at a landlord and getting them to reduce their charges is for the birds. But good luck with that.
just find yourself another flat, there is no shortage all around PP.
Boredom is like a shroud
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:26 pmThat does not mean it is prohibited, it just defines a consumer as someone who uses it themselves, as opposed to a wholesale buyer to sell to others, which requires a licence.
Yes, resale is illegal without a licence, obviously.

My bet is that most have not obtained licences, which are (surprise) costly.

I'd also bet that the resale rate would be specified in the application, and checked by people thereafter, it's a money-maker.

Again, best bet is go to EDC and check. Or move, and demand an EDC rate for supply in the contract
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

schlarry wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:26 pmThat does not mean it is prohibited, it just defines a consumer as someone who uses it themselves, as opposed to a wholesale buyer to sell to others, which requires a licence.
Yes, resale is illegal without a licence, obviously.

My bet is that most have not obtained licences, which are (surprise) costly.

I'd also bet that the resale rate would be specified in the application, and checked by people thereafter, it's a money-maker.

Again, best bet is go to EDC and check. Or move, and demand an EDC rate for supply in the contract
Yeah, agreed, licences will only be given to large operators, not small landlords. And I bet they are all tied up now. However, we will agree to disagree as to the "illegality" of small-scale landlords and their practices of price uplift.

Personally, I wouldn't ever pay more than what is on the EDC bill, delivered to my door etc. But when looking for condo's for rent, I think it is nearly impossible to get electricity for less than 25c (30c is just a rip-off).

The quality of housing stock in PP is a joke, but that's another story.
reflexline
Expatriate

Post by reflexline »

Give the money that you are paying for rent, I can't imagine that the space would be big enough to be running multiple large air conditioners. I would imagine that it is either a faulty appliance or they made a mistake (perhaps deliberate) with the starting number on the meter.

Don't pay until you have figured it out. Like others have said, unplug and check the meter with the fridge/AC.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There must be something on the calendar for this time of the year, as it appears to be ‘Fuck with the barang tenancy contract’ time.

I’m not aware of any significant changes in the billing for electricity, but the landlady has taken it upon herself to stealthily apply a minimum 50% increase in the billed electricity. It seems we’re apartment hunting again, unless she winds her neck in. (Time to invest in one of those Farmers ‘samurai’ swords, maybe?)
While I’ve been away, busy, she’s been inveigling her way into SWMBO’s graces, and slipping the increases into the bill.
So, before I give her (Landlady) both barrels, and a decent boot in her arse, I’d like to clarify-

If the apartment has its own electric meter, with its own unique serial number, should it be possible to obtain a dedicated billing from EDC? Without too much shouting?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:27 pm
If the apartment has its own electric meter, with its own unique serial number, should it be possible to obtain a dedicated billing from EDC? Without too much shouting?
I don't think so, I think you need a name and / or customer number to come with it. Most meters are on the road, in barely closed enclosures, so meter numbers are easily available to everyone.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Also, at this time of year my bill goes up. Don't know if anyone else had this?

I am sure it could be legit as it's hotter and the Aircon has to work harder and is on a little longer

I pay EDC rates andy bill was 50% more this month. Without knowingly using more
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I remember we had this problem a few years ago, when EVERYBODY in PP and surrounding areas had an increase in the amount of electricity they had used , even people who thought they had used less electricity because they were not home, like travelling o/s or in the village. The problem boiled down to a drop in voltage city wide therefor all the appliances used more electricity. I bet your next months bill will be back to normal.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:02 pm Also, at this time of year my bill goes up. Don't know if anyone else had this?

I am sure it could be legit as it's hotter and the Aircon has to work harder and is on a little longer

I pay EDC rates andy bill was 50% more this month. Without knowingly using more
My landlord charges double the normal rate , he told me not to use the “ big “ one .
So I got a cooler and make my own ice in the deep freezer .
I sweat a little but I got rags to tie around my head to keep the sweat from getting in my eyes or spotting up my reading glasses , haven’t seen any practical glasses 👓 with windshield wipers for sale anywhere
All I can say is it beats heating bills 💸
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

In my experience here, EDC makes hay in April, May, and June. Always year in year out.

For the OP, condos are a different beast where you have no hope to ameliorate. Many posts are great but condos are different. Good luck fighting that....oligarch owners...pay up or lose deposit...dont stink it up...you will lose.

However...1000kwh is nuts. Is it a garment factory? Many unknowns.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic